Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:56 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times

Advertisements

Capitol Hill is beloved for its dichotomy of density and hipness mixed with huge lovely estates shrouded in a lovely lush of trees.

Ballard has it's own character and is one of the most booming neighborhoods outside of downtown. More posh and less hipster than Cap Hill.

Fremont is very quirky and is the more avant garde of the neighborhoods.

Queen Anne has gorgeous houses (Queen Anne style, obviously) on high hills with breathtaking views.

South Lake Union is emerging as a rapidly developing hood for Seattle's tech and medical industries.

And downtown is awesome because there is a ton to do and see.

Seattle's neighborhoods have their own feel so the title of "Best neighborhood" depends entirely on what feeling and flair you want in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Capitol Hill is beloved for its dichotomy of density and hipness mixed with huge lovely estates shrouded in a lovely lush of trees.

Ballard has it's own character and is one of the most booming neighborhoods outside of downtown. More posh and less hipster than Cap Hill.

Fremont is very quirky and is the more avant garde of the neighborhoods.

Queen Anne has gorgeous houses (Queen Anne style, obviously) on high hills with breathtaking views.

South Lake Union is emerging as a rapidly developing hood for Seattle's tech and medical industries.

And downtown is awesome because there is a ton to do and see.

Seattle's neighborhoods have their own feel so the title of "Best neighborhood" depends entirely on what feeling and flair you want in a neighborhood.
If I lived in Seattle I'd live in Alki Beach. I'd love to live by the water, take in the views of the Sound, mountains, and skyline. I would love a home there with a balcony and water views just sitting out there with my morning coffee, then go for bike rides along the beach during the day, and later sit out there again with a glass of wine and watch the sunset. There some good restaurants over there in West Seattle as well. That would be my ideal Seattle living arrangement.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In our small city of Sammamish (50,000) there is really no difference between neighborhoods, though I suppose those with waterfront on Lake Sammamish could be considered a better part of the city to live in.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
If I name just one neighborhood in Jax (which I had planned to do before reading through all the posts), then to me it's San Marco. But it's kinda interesting to me to hear about neighborhoods in other cities that share the same name, so I'll go ahead and give a slightly more comprehensive list.

San Marco - Directly south of downtown, mostly historic single family homes built in a walkable grid with two major commercial corridors running through it converging in a commercial district and urban park called San Marco Square.
Riverside - beginning half a mile west of downtown, this is a very expansive and historic district that is the most artsy, walkable and vibrant part of the city. There are three major commercial corridors in this neighborhood, but much of it is zoned commercial/residential so you'll find lots of professional businesses, restaurants and retails stores housed in historic homes and sprinkled throughout. Often compared to San Marco, but where the former is a little more polished, the latter is distinctly Bohemian.
Avondale - Directly west of Riverside, historic Avondale has humongous homes and is decidedly more of a residential area than Riverside, but it too has a very popular walkable commercial corridor and is home to a handful of the most celebrated restaurants in the city.
Murray Hill - Lower income, less gentrified, residential neighborhood comprised of mostly small bungalows with two major commercial corridors running through this former streetcar suburb. There's some positive momentum happening in the area and it's kinda like the little brother of Riverside, but realistically about 15 years behind.
Springfield - Directly north of downtown, it can pretty much be summed up the same way Murray Hill was, except that the homes here are all huge. It's blocks and blocks of 2500-3500 sq ft mansions from the 1920s. (mostly vacant and nearing disrepair)
Brooklyn - Directly west of and sandwiched between downtown and Riverside, this relatively small neighborhood is primed for a major Renaissance. It was practically completely wiped off the map fifteen years ago when the city decided to demolish 90% of the buildings there in favor of planned new development which has never happened…until now. We're in the midst of $125 million dollars in new development projects to be completed by early 2015, which will completely transform the way the neighborhood looks. Whether those developments will turn out to be a success is still uncertain, but there's no doubt it will feel totally different.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:32 PM

47 posts, read 64,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
LOL, why are you hating on Bond Hill? They've got a nice little business district up there by Swifton Commons.
Bond Hill just bores me lol

Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Pacific Heights is the wealthiest.
Russian Hill is the most charming.
Nob Hill has the oldest money.
North Beach has the most personality.
The Mission is the most hipster.
The Marina has the best 20-something party atmosphere.
Soma has the most millionaire nerds who never leave the neighborhood.
Noe Valley is the best for families with one child.
Bernal Heights is the best for lesbians.
The Castro is the gayest.
Inner Richmond is the most everyday.
Potrero Hill is the most authentic.
Western Addition is the most rapidly gentrifying.
Hayes Valley has the coolest restaurants and bars.
The Haight is the most acceptably druggiest.
The Tenderloin is the most unacceptably druggiest.
Laurel Heights is the most suburban in the City.
The Presidio is the most quiet.
Sea Cliff is the most opulent.
The Inner Sunset is the most underrated.
Cole Valley is the quietest.
Bayview is the least desirable.
Chinatown is the most crowded.
Japantown is the most ordinary.
The Fillmore is the best mix of old and new San Francisco.
Cow Hollow is the most overlooked.
Twin Peaks is the most isolated, yet right in the middle of the City.
Union Square is the most Chamber of Commerce.
Fisherman's Wharf is the most touristy.
The Embarcadero is the most civic.
The Civic Center offers the biggest dichotomy between opulent and disgusting.
Mid-Market has the greatest investment potential.
Treasure Island is the most desolate.
The Panhandle is the most hippie.
The Sunset is the foggiest.
The Richmond is the most real Asian.
Glen Park is the most commuter-friendly.
Lakeside is the safest looking high crime area.
The Tendernob is the most non-existent.
Visitacion Valley is the most misunderstood.
The Excelsior has the lowest rents.
The smugness is suffocating.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The smugness is suffocating.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:36 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
If I name just one neighborhood in Jax (which I had planned to do before reading through all the posts), then to me it's San Marco. But it's kinda interesting to me to hear about neighborhoods in other cities that share the same name, so I'll go ahead and give a slightly more comprehensive list.

San Marco - Directly south of downtown, mostly historic single family homes built in a walkable grid with two major commercial corridors running through it converging in a commercial district and urban park called San Marco Square.
Riverside - beginning half a mile west of downtown, this is a very expansive and historic district that is the most artsy, walkable and vibrant part of the city. There are three major commercial corridors in this neighborhood, but much of it is zoned commercial/residential so you'll find lots of professional businesses, restaurants and retails stores housed in historic homes and sprinkled throughout. Often compared to San Marco, but where the former is a little more polished, the latter is distinctly Bohemian.
Avondale - Directly west of Riverside, historic Avondale has humongous homes and is decidedly more of a residential area than Riverside, but it too has a very popular walkable commercial corridor and is home to a handful of the most celebrated restaurants in the city.
Murray Hill - Lower income, less gentrified, residential neighborhood comprised of mostly small bungalows with two major commercial corridors running through this former streetcar suburb. There's some positive momentum happening in the area and it's kinda like the little brother of Riverside, but realistically about 15 years behind.
Springfield - Directly north of downtown, it can pretty much be summed up the same way Murray Hill was, except that the homes here are all huge. It's blocks and blocks of 2500-3500 sq ft mansions from the 1920s. (mostly vacant and nearing disrepair)
Brooklyn - Directly west of and sandwiched between downtown and Riverside, this relatively small neighborhood is primed for a major Renaissance. It was practically completely wiped off the map fifteen years ago when the city decided to demolish 90% of the buildings there in favor of planned new development which has never happened…until now. We're in the midst of $125 million dollars in new development projects to be completed by early 2015, which will completely transform the way the neighborhood looks. Whether those developments will turn out to be a success is still uncertain, but there's no doubt it will feel totally different.
The once and future great neighborhoods of Jacksonville. By reading CD you'd think there was no love for Jax whatsoever, but here it is. Trust me, as someone that has been a longtime fan, it will have its day.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Perhaps you'd prefer a more objective take:

San Francisco Neighborhood Map - The Bold Italic - San Francisco

Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Best is an opinion. Ritziest is River Oaks, home to Fred Smith, founder of FedEx, and Pitt Hyde, founder of Autozone. Memphis gets a bad rap, but there are quite a few upscale neighborhoods. Harbortown, Evergreen, Central Gardens, Hein Park, Chickasaw Gardens, Gallaway, Laurelwood, Yorkshire, Greentrees are all posh and leafy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.