Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And that's about it, and possibly an Athens/Chapel Hill comparison. Otherwise, Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon, etc. feel a bit different from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Asheville, Wilmington, etc. Atlanta even feels different from Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham in the core. There are a couple similarities when it comes to surrounding historic neighborhoods in Charlotte and Atlanta though, but not really Raleigh and Durham.
That's true, and an Athens/Chapel Hill comparison is accurate, along with a Chapel Hill/Charlottesville, VA comparison to a lesser degree. Some areas of Wilmington are similar to Savannah and Charleston, SC as well, but I know what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM

279 posts, read 461,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
A

4) Maryland is a Northern state. How anybody could argue otherwise is absurd. However....I used to live in Upstate New York. Certainly, Maryland isn't considered the North up there...

The idea of Maryland being southern is absurd to people who are actually from the South, but in NYC and NJ I find many people think Maryland is the South. Even worse, because New Yorkers (people from NYC, not upstate) and New Jerseyians tend to have this know-it-all attitude that's all too common in the Northeast, they will argue you down about it and swear that they're right and you're wrong.

That being said, I think Richmond, VA is actually about as far north as you can go (at least on I-95) and still be in the South. Once you go past Richmond, you start getting into the DC area and well then you're not in the South.

Last edited by White Wine; 06-05-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Well I am from Alabama and people there barely consider Virginia southern, let alone Maryland. The idea of Maryland being southern is absurd to people who are actually from the South, but in NYC and NJ I find many people think Maryland is the South.
Virginia, the birthplace of Robert E. Lee and home to the capital of the Confederacy, not southern? Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Some people in the Deep South barely consider Virginia to be southern anymore, and it's pretty shocking that some are saying the same about North Carolina! Both NC and VA are Upper South, but Maryland is basically lower northeast or Mid-Atlantic if you like that term. Going north, once you reach the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia, you're out of the south. But then again, if you ask someone in Vermont or Maine if Maryland is southern, they might hold a different opinion.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Also, a lot of SEC fans in the Deep South like to scoff at NC and VA because they're the only two southern states without any SEC teams. That's okay, in NC, we have NASCAR and ACC sports!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
^^^this isn't hard to believe. In my own experience, while Eastern Tennesseean's consider VA the South because they share borders with them--when I lived in Memphis, I wasn't considered southern. I mean, I feel like VA is still a Southern state and always will be--ESPECIALLY Southwest and the regions that border TN. But that has been my own personal experience as well: the deeper South I've gone, the less Southern they view Virginians, and the farther North I've gone, the less anyone considers us Northern. Virginia birthed this country, and I'm content that we are what we are, a little of both...

Old 06-05-2014, 04:10 PM

279 posts, read 461,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Virginia, the birthplace of Robert E. Lee and home to the capital of the Confederacy, not southern? Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Some people in the Deep South barely consider Virginia to be southern anymore, and it's pretty shocking that some are saying the same about North Carolina! Both NC and VA are Upper South, but Maryland is basically lower northeast or Mid-Atlantic if you like that term. Going north, once you reach the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia, you're out of the south. But then again, if you ask someone in Vermont or Maine if Maryland is southern, they might hold a different opinion.

Yes, I do consider Virginia southern. All I'm saying is some people in the Deep South (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc) do not. I disagree with them.

I have two good friends from Virginia, one from Roanoke, the other from Hampton Roads area. They are both very southern, in my opinion. Both would fit in quite well in Alabama or Georgia. When I visit Virginia (outside of the DC area), I do feel like I'm back in the South. But not anywhere BEFORE Virginia.

I've visited Roanoke several times, that town is southern to the bone in my opinion. The only thing not really southern about Roanoke is the weather, they get snow regularly in the winter like a Northeast city.

Yeah someone from New England may think Maryland's the South, but guess what? Those people aren't southerners. They wouldn't know what the South was if it bit them in the butt. Those of us born and raised in the South know what the South is, and what it is not. Probably the only reason Virginia gets to hold on to its pass in the eyes of many people is because of its role in the Confederacy. But I can tell you from numerous visits to the state that for the most part, Virginia is still very southern in its ways. It's just not the Deep South.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The 13 original colonies all operate on a cultural gradient.

Massachusetts is a combination of New Hampshire and Rhode Island.
Rhode Island is a combination of Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Connecticut is a combination of Massachusetts and New York.
New York is a combination of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
New Jersey is a combination of New York and Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania is a combination of New York and Maryland.
Delaware is a combination of Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Maryland is a combination of Pennsylvania and Virginia.
Virginia is a combination of Maryland and North Carolina.
North Carolina is a combination of Virginia and South Carolina.
South Carolina is a combination of North Carolina and Georgia.

Being the bookends, the cultures of New Hampshire and Georgia were shaped not only by adjacent colonies, but also by the uncharted territories nearby.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Yes, I do consider Virginia southern. All I'm saying is some people in the Deep South (Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc) do not. I disagree with them.

I have two good friends from Virginia, one from Roanoke, the other from Hampton Roads area. They are both very southern, in my opinion. Both would fit in quite well in Alabama or Georgia. When I visit Virginia (outside of the DC area), I do feel like I'm back in the South. But not anywhere BEFORE Virginia.

I've visited Roanoke several times, that town is southern to the bone in my opinion. The only thing not really southern about Roanoke is the weather, they get snow regularly in the winter like a Northeast city.

Yeah someone from New England may think Maryland's the South, but guess what? Those people aren't southerners. They wouldn't know what the South was if it bit them in the butt. Those of us born and raised in the South know what the South is, and what it is not. Probably the only reason Virginia gets to hold on to its pass in the eyes of many people is because of its role in the Confederacy. But I can tell you from numerous visits to the state that for the most part, Virginia is still very southern in its ways. It's just not the Deep South.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. Virginia is Upper South overall, same with North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Richmond is the last major city in the south if you're going north, but the DC suburbs of NOVA is the only area in VA that isn't southern. Even Winchester, the tip top of VA, is still a southern city. Roanoke is definitely southern, it's actually a little similar to Birmingham, AL in a way. I've only been to the Hampton Roads area once, but it still seemed pretty southern to me. Virginia as a whole is pretty similar to North Carolina, at least that's what I'd say from my personal travels and experiences. Some people might say it's more similar to Maryland, but I think NOVA is the only area similar to Maryland. As for North Carolina, I'd say NC has more in common with Georgia and Virginia than South Carolina.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
JayJay what is your obsession about linking NC and VA lol i mean they share similarities with each other but so does WV, Tenn, KY and MD

Old 06-06-2014, 02:48 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
As for North Carolina, I'd say NC has more in common with Georgia and Virginia than South Carolina.
Have you ever been to Georgia outside of Atlanta and its suburbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.