Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:19 AM

30 posts, read 49,799 times

Advertisements

New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles vs Miami vs San Francisco vs Phoenix vs Atlanta vs Newark (NJ).

I want to know how is the life in these cities.

Jobs, Tourism, Entertainment, Restaurants/Bars/Pubs, weather, life quality, other things...
How people are (friendly or not), what can you see in this city, what is the nice in these cities, how people dress (formal or informal, casual, in shirts or T-shirts, etc.), pros and cons, clean or dirty city.

I think L.A. and N.Y.C. are cool cityes but I need more details about these cities.

Last edited by Krisztián; 12-21-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Seriously with this list? Newark? If you're going to live in Newark you might as well go big and live in NYC which is like 10 miles east.

Newark has some decent areas and dare I say a very small number of nice areas but is mostly undesirable. I would recommend Jersey City, personally, over Newark if you're looking in NJ. But again, if you're looking that close to NYC but including NYC, just go with NYC. I recommend Brooklyn.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:00 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times
LA, Atlanta and Miami are all somewhat similar: loads of celebs, car culture/sprawl, and loads of people living in the suburbs rather than the city proper. Miami and LA have the whole beach culture/warm weather/Latin vibe going for them. But LA offers a lot more culture than either Miami or Atlanta, and is way more diverse and nature-oriented, and laid-back (Miami is relaxed too though). Phoenix and Newark...not too exciting. Both are overshadowed by nearby NYC and LA. SanFran, NYC and Chicago are all hustle-and-bustle, cold weather, urban living and very busy. If you want the most urban lifestyle, those three and LA are your best bets. But with LA you will get great weather and beaches, nice scenery, and more laid-back vibes in addition to the cultural amenities. Of course, you would lack the walkability and public transit of those 3 places. I would not recommend Phoenix or Newark unless you were more of a suburb person.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
LA, Atlanta and Miami are all somewhat similar: loads of celebs, car culture/sprawl, and loads of people living in the suburbs rather than the city proper. Miami and LA have the whole beach culture/warm weather/Latin vibe going for them. But LA offers a lot more culture than either Miami or Atlanta, and is way more diverse and nature-oriented, and laid-back (Miami is relaxed too though). Phoenix and Newark...not too exciting. Both are overshadowed by nearby NYC and LA. SanFran, NYC and Chicago are all hustle-and-bustle, cold weather, urban living and very busy. If you want the most urban lifestyle, those three and LA are your best bets. But with LA you will get great weather and beaches, nice scenery, and more laid-back vibes in addition to the cultural amenities. Of course, you would lack the walkability and public transit of those 3 places. I would not recommend Phoenix or Newark unless you were more of a suburb person.
Or are willing to get shot or carjacked.

But I wish I was kidding… In a way I am. As I said, there are decent and maybe even some nice areas but if it's between those cities plus NYC and Newark, go NYC. It's right there.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,176 times
Not sure where Newark's place really lands on this list. It's a major city in it's own respect, but as mentioned earlier it definitely gets overshadowed by NY (and is certainly not suburban even though its immediate metro is). Newark is NJ's and NY's Gateway link, and that probably it's biggest advantage. I couldn't really recommend JC only because of Hoboken (JC is no slouch though)

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
What a bizarre list!

Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 AM

29 posts, read 35,010 times
Nyc

Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Not sure where Newark's place really lands on this list. It's a major city in it's own respect, but as mentioned earlier it definitely gets overshadowed by NY (and is certainly not suburban even though its immediate metro is). Newark is NJ's and NY's Gateway link, and that probably it's biggest advantage. I couldn't really recommend JC only because of Hoboken (JC is no slouch though)
I also thought Hoboken, but Jersey City is a city while Hoboken has a smaller feel. It seems the OP is asking about pretty large cities.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
Phoenix's job market is OK but there are other places in the country that are doing much better (I'm looking at you, Texas).
Phoenix is not very touristy itself, because Arizona's main attractions are further away (mainly N. Arizona, such as the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Sedona... And some in S. Arizona like Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone, etc.).
Entertainment? Drunk people? We have a lot of bars!
Bars are pretty good, but the restaurants are all corporate America. There are a few small business restaurants, but they are fairly outnumbered.
Weather? Hot as Hell!
Life quality? Well, we like to hibernate in the summertime so we don't get a heat stroke, as long as we do that it's pretty ok. Don't want to get second degree burns on the bottom of your feet at a waterpark, no? Or having too much risk of skin cancer. I'm messing around here, but people here are generally happy, or they are complaining about the heat.
People here tend to dress casual all the time, minus a few occasions. Even those in Scottsdale don't dress very formal.
Pros about Phoenix is that it's very affordable, it offers a variety of vacation spots all within a day's drive, and great for outdoor recreation in about a four month time period. Beautiful scenery, some of the best sunsets on Earth, always sunny, very laid-back and slow paced...
My only two true cons with Phoenix is it's lack of nightlife/urbanity and the heat. But if Phoenix was at least twenty degrees colder in the summer (100 highs) this place would be great. The nightlife has been improving though.

The first five on your list are very cool places to go. I have never been to Chicago or SF, but I would love to one day. I can't speak about Newark, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 AM

8 posts, read 10,867 times
Vancouver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.