Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
LOL get out, I have stayed in the south for years, it is the still the same south. The only place you see White and Black people interacting a lot are the trailer parks and more lower income areas. In the well off areas there is this invisible line between White and Black people. Not to mention foreigners, anyone that looks Latino or Asian in some of the southern states will be made to feel "Unamerican". The south might not be as racist as the Northeast but it is still pretty bad with the racism. Not to mention that interracial dating is off limits there in any of the well off areas, I never saw White women in suburbs going interracial there while I saw it a lot in the upper midwest.
… What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Racism will never be eliminated. Your right white southerners do not "embrace" minorities. They do however get along with them and treat them with respect. I think that is the best you can hope for in a world where conflict based on race, religion and culture is the norm. Whites, blacks, Hispanics and other ethnicities all usually prefer to live together, hang out together etc. Its not racism, its human nature. I think its actually surprising how much social interaction between whites and blacks does happen in America today, in spite of the distrust that naturally occurs between people of two different races. It takes a lot of work and effort to overcome that natural aversion to trusting people who are of another race. America in general has done a better job than most of the world in dealing with racial differences. We don't have endless war and racial violence here, and for that we can all be thankful. Look at other parts of the world where races, regligons and cultures mix and you usually find war. The middle east, Africa are prime examples. Europeans slaughtered each other by the millions over it just 70 years ago. Both white, black, and Hispanic American put on a uniform and fought together to put a stop to Hitlers madness. I think we have done something right to avoid that kind of war and violence here in America. I do disagree with your interpretation of the Midwest as being this place of higher tolerance than the south or other parts of America however. I spent decades of my life living up there and my experience is that it is segregated and has a lot of lingering bad feelings when it comes to race relations. Wisconsin has a minority called the Hmong, an Asian group that no one there seems to like. There is a case where one of them killed some hunters in the woods triggering a large backlash against that minority group. Michigan is often cited as having the largest Arab community in North America, well I can say from living up there that most people in Michigan truly despise that being in their state. Both the black and white residents of the state seem to hate having the muslim presence there. Now a lot of this has to do with the war and September 11 to be sure, but its not a sign that people there welcome all foreign culture. Now if you are talking about foreigners from more advanced parts of the world like Europe or the Pacific rim nations then yes, the people of the Midwest are welcoming and curious about them. If your talking about a troubled minority group that is perceived to be violent, criminal or impoverished the people in that part of America are not so tolerant. I am not faulting them for that, it is human nature to want to protect yourself from dangerous things. No one wants to live next to crime, or violence. In fact nowhere will you find so much tolerance that a ethinc community that seems to embrace a culture of violence or crime will be accepted. At best people don't talk about places and ethnic groups like that, simply to avoid being labeled racist by liberal activist groups. Their silence does not mean acceptance however, and no ethic group can expect to be well received if they are in general living unproductive or even destructive lives here in America. That being said I do think most people in all parts of this country, both black white and Hispanic do not walk around with racial chips on their shoulders. Most people want to get along with others.
I'm sorry but any reactions to an immigrant who goes to a country and kills somebody is not racism.

I'm qualified to say this and not just talking out of ass because I've moved to East Asia and am currently in the eyes of the locals, an "immigrant". I definitely don't plan on killing one of their locals and if they reacted, then say that's racist. That's just absurd.

I think you answered your own question. You seem to know full well that nobody would want to live near any group with a culture of unproductivity or violence. How does that make the Midwest supposedly intolerant?! If anything, it is to be praised for tolerating the rest of the Hmong if this were indeed true.

I didn't know what's Hmong and had to google it. They are reported to be a minority tribe from Cambodia.

The Chinese Americans and Korean Americans have done very well in the Midwest. There are Chinese schools all over the lower Midwest and I personally know a Chinese American businessman, Benny Lee in Kansas City who's won many awards conferred by the city and corporate bodies. He's employed many white Americans since immigrating to Missouri 18 years ago.

Benny Lee could have settled in any state and he chose Missouri. That says something about the kind of people from the Midwest.

http://sparklabkc.com/benny-lee/

It is the excitement and satisfaction of building a business that inspires Benny Lee as an entrepreneur. Lee has led several diverse enterprises, currently including Eliton, a folding cello company, and his larger venture, DuraComm Corp., “A Benny Lee Company,” an international manufacturer of AC-to-DC switch mode power supplies, commercial and industrial LED and induction lighting solutions, and solar energy.
Born in Taiwan, Lee graduated from the Tatung Institute of Technology with a major in electrical engineering. In 1972, he was employed by Taipei office of Midland International, a Kansas City-based company. In 1979, he founded Mitco, a Taipei-based trading company which sourced several high-profile products, including the Ginsu Knife and the Handy Stitch sewing machine. In 1995, he moved to the United States with his wife Edith and daughters and furthered expanded another business, Top Innovations, a highly successful marketer of SteamFast steamers and other products. He sold the business in 2008. He was major share holder of Duracomm in 1995, realizing the growth potential at DuraComm, Lee became the sole owner in 2008.
DuraComm and Lee have received recent acclaim for its growth, leadership, business culture and ingenuity. Most recently DuraComm has been selected by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for its Top 100 Blue Ribbon Small Business award.
In addition, Lee accepted the Missouri Governor’s Minority and Small Business Award and the Kansas City Manufacturer of the Year award in 2011. DuraComm was honored by Kansas City Business Magazine as 2012 Top Company honoree, and Lee was selected as a Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year--Central Midwest Regional Finalist. The US Small Business Administration recognized Lee with their Region VII 2011 Minority Business Champion designation for his support of minority and small business.
Believing in the importance of supporting organizations that aid in fueling community, charitable and business growth, Benny Lee has accepted leadership responsibilities in organizations that assist, educate and promote minority-owned businesses, small businesses and entrepreneurship. He served as president of the Kansas City Asian American Chamber of Commerce for two years, served as first vice-president of the International Relations Council of Kansas City, served on the Board of Directors of the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce and is an “Entrepreneur in Residence” and mentor at the Institute for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. Benny emphasizes the need for greater business and cultural exchange to take advantage of the growing the economy.

Based on the belief that the United States is the most philanthropic country in the world, Benny Lee relishes the practice of giving back to the community. DuraComm gladly donates to Kansas City non-profit associations and charitable causes. A partial list of donations in the last two years includes the Children's Wish Foundation, Kansas City Hospice, National Federation of the Deaf, David Beaham Library Fund, United Breast Cancer Foundation, Police Benefit Association, Guadalupe Center, and the Missouri Wonderland Fund. We are very proud to be corporate citizens in Kansas City and to help make our city a better place to live for everyone.
Benny Lee formed a music club to bring music of the world to Kansas City. As a past Trustee of Park University, he continues to sponsor its growing music program. He has served on the board of the Executive Board of Tocqueville Society – United Way. He is a mayor founding donor of the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and patron of the Kansas City Symphony. He recently made a significant donation to Shawnee Mission Medical Center Birth Center, which is in the process of naming its atrium after Benny and Edith Lee.

Benny Lee was asked to join the KC Mayor’ Corp, a non-profit organization in which the goal is to have substantive conversations with civic leadership about how the Kansas City mayor’s office can support business and job creation–including making the city more efficient, creating safe communities, enhancing educational opportunities from pre-school to post-grad, and, of course, working to help grow our local businesses and attract new economic opportunities to our city. He is also current board member of FBI Citizen Academy- a non-profit organization helping promote FBI relation with business world and give help to those policemen who lost live in duty. He will serve in Crime committee working closely with police to reduce crime.

Awards and Honors--
2012 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year-Midwest Regional Finalist DuraComm President Benny Lee was honored for his entrepreneurial success in creating innovation, growth, and profitability for his business.
2012 Top Company of the Year Award (KC Business Magazine)—DuraComm Corporation was selected for this award based on sustained growth, innovation, profitability, and dedication to the Kansas City business and non-profit communities.
2011 Missouri Governor’s Minority and Small Business Award--DuraComm Corporation was the recipient of this award which is presented to a business that has demonstrated outstanding success and innovation and has made a significant contribution to local and state economies. The award was presented to Benny Lee, CEO at the Governor’s Conference on Economic Development in September in Springfield, MO.
2011 U.S. Small Business Administration’s Region VII “Minority Business Champion Award--Benny Lee, Chairman and CEO of DuraComm Corp, was selected as the honoree based his dedication to furthering the success of minority-owned businesses, his participation in minority business and business organizations, and his sustained business leadership activities. Lee was selected for the award from nominees submitted in the four-state region of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa.

50 Missourians You Should Know (Ingram’s magazine, 2011)
Manufacturer of the Year (Kansas City Minority Enterprise Development Committee, 2011)
Governor’s Minority & Small Business Award (Missouri Department of Economic Development, 2011)
Finalist – Lewis Shattuck Small Business Advocate Award (National Small Business Assoc., 2011)
President Award (Sister City Association of Kansas City, 2009)
25 Under 25 Small Business Award (Thinking Bigger Business Magazine, 2007)
Cornerstone Award (Economic Development Corporation, 2005)
International Business Award (International Relations Council, 2004) Pinnacle Award (North Kansas City Community Foundation, 2004)

Last edited by sadgirl80; 01-13-2014 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 06:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Anyone who thinks the upper midwest is some bastion of diversity, tolerance, etc should look at this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2778810

Here is the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family of five View Post
I was just looking through Mike from Back East's index - truly an amazing job! and the thread on Italian restaurants got me thinking.

My DH is of Italian descent, so our last name is Italian. Growing up in Pittsburgh, this was of course common, but we have lived in Mpls and St. Paul, MN for the past 14 years. We were stunned at the negative feedback we got beginning on the first day we arrived here. At least 90% of people here mispronounce our last name (repeatedly - some people I have corrected countless times), and I cannot tell you how many Mafia "cracks" we have both received. This is a constant thing for us - the last Mafia comment was from the plumber who came a couple of days ago.

It made us feel incredibly unwelcome and has made living here unpleasant for us. We are planning on moving to Denver this year and I am wondering/fearing a repeat of this behavior. We are planning on relocating to Littleton.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much.
Also, my daughter's fiance is from Duluth, and he once made what I felt was an incredibly anti-Semitic comment, although he thinks he is very liberal.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Sounds very strange to me, growing up where Italian was the most common ethnicity, so I equate Italian with "normal" white American. A bit ironic, since for whatever reason, the most racist incidents in the NYC area happened in Italian-American neighborhoods.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I thought the Pacific Northwest was a hotbed for White Supremacist activity? Also, what do you consider the Upper Midwest? If you include the Great Lakes States then that would be a resounding NO! Wisconsin? Milwaukee is like the most segregated city in the country.
Lol, what major city is NOT segregated? Almost every large city in this country has suburbs dominated by whites, inner city neighborhoods dominated by blacks, and downtown living dominated by young white yuppies, couples, and 20 something's. Blacks dominate the projects, low income housing, and the more shabby apartment complexes in the inner city. There are well to do blacks also, but most of them have relocated to the suburbs, but they are very small in number.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sounds very strange to me, growing up where Italian was the most common ethnicity, so I equate Italian with "normal" white American. A bit ironic, since for whatever reason, the most racist incidents in the NYC area happened in Italian-American neighborhoods.
Italians were not considered white once upon a time.

It does show people are getting less dumb with time, so there is hope for the future.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Also, as a side note to add to this, racism in the south is nowhere near as bad as most people make it out to be.

It's common for white people to be jovial, friendly, and sociable with blacks when they are out and about. Inter-racial dating isn't even that rare anymore. Don't get me wrong, most of the south still has a long ways to go, and it's not perfect, but it is NOWHERE near as bad as so many people make it out to be.

Also, I've noticed that in areas of the country where black people are very rare there seems to be more of an aversion to blacks. Just like those people are ignorant of other areas of the country and go by the stereotypes, the same is true for races that they are not familiar with. I find that a lot of New England (yes, I said New England)people are extremely racist or prejudiced towards blacks.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Anyone who thinks the upper midwest is some bastion of diversity, tolerance, etc should look at this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ml#post2778810
I honestly don't believe that. Mafia jokes? Really? Nobody in the Twin Cities would bat an eye at an Italian surname. They're not completely unheard of around here....

I work with a woman whose name is Farinella, and went to high school with a Scatterelli and a Panzavecchia. You certainly do hear a lot more Swedish, Norwegian, and German names, however.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
I heard Italians were pretty racist themselves....

Old 01-13-2014, 08:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Me, too.

When they first came here, Italians were hated (like most immigrant groups). But they became so common in the Northeast, that it faded and IMO they're one of the more liked ethnic groups in the area. Everybody around here loves being Italian and many kind of wish they were.

Any jokes about the mafia are just that - jokes. It's not meant to be cruel most of the time. Since so many are Italians, they're joking about themselves and certainly not the minority. And in some cases, it's not even a joke…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.