Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What do you consider a midsized metro? 1 million to 3 million? 500,000 to 2 million?
Well, first one has to decide what "metro" means. MSA? CSA? PSA? I think that while this format attempts to provide some consistency to object comparison, analysis is probably still needed to truly understand each area.

That said, I don't think that I'd consider 500,000 a midsized metro. 1-3 million in either an MSA, CSA or PSA seems to be reasonable to me but I'm not so sure that I'd label metros of 3-5 million as large. Metros over 5 million seem to be line in the sand after which a metro starts to exhibit some consistent aspects of qualities that associate it with being large. But, in the end, it's all perspective. Others might see 500,000 as midsized while yet others will not see 5 million as large.

BTW, a PSA is a Primary Statistical Area. Essentially it's the mechanism by which CSA's are compared with MSAs that are not part of a CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:44 AM

14 posts, read 15,973 times
Mid-sized metro in the 1-3 million range really narrows down that group, going by the link posted earlier. So far still a good debate and good suggestions. So it seems like people mostly favor the eastern half of the US so far, I'm curious if anyone else has anything to say about Raleigh and DC/VA areas, and if there are any "cons" to moving into those areas. Also, any other cities that I didn't mention in the original post that people would recommend and reasons why?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfcon View Post
Hi All,

I've read through a few different threads on here about what the best cities are for single guys, etc. I know not all the cities are good for software engineering jobs. I live on Long Island, and the female situation around here isn't the best, i.e. in my experience, they're not the most extroverted/friendliest women in the US.

I want to move away from here, have a fresh change of scenery, and a fresh change of people. Long Islanders can be pretty irritating, and tiring, and I don't feel I'm on the level of most people here. I'd rather be a stranger in a new land, and so I'll be looking to meet new people, especially female. Here's my critera for what I want in a new city:

1. Friendly/extroverted people, both genders, more preferrably female
2. Good night life, i.e. trains and bars don't stop at midnight
3. Decent tech market or at least a decent amount of corporations to fall back on if one doesn't work out
4. Cost of living cheaper than LI/NYC (shouldn't be hard to fulfill, lol)
5. Good food, although me being a foodie I can probably find good food in any city.

I've heard different things about certain cities, so here's my list of what cities I want to look into, and what I've heard about them. I encourage anyone to comment on any of these cities and correct me if I'm wrong, or recommend new cities I haven't thought of looking in to.

2. DC Area - Big tech area, but I hear trains stop around midnight so would suck if I resort to trains, although I do own a car. Nightlife I hear can be decent, but I'm not big on politics, so I don't want to mingle with a bunch of politicians if that's mostly who lives there.
F-
The trains in DC run til 3am on weekends, not mention many holidays with extended service, so unless your planning on being out after midnight often during the week i think you'll be fine in that department... About 75-80 percent of people in the DC metro area are not involved in politics nor are talking about it when their out on the town enjoying themselves. This is one of the biggest misconceptions of any major city i've ever heard. Actually it's kind of funny that people can be so naive to think that in any major metropolis you will have the entire population of the area completely focused on the same singular topic in their spare time.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The trains in DC run til 3am on weekends, not mention many holidays with extended service, so unless your planning on being out after midnight often during the week i think you'll be fine in that department... About 75-80 percent of people in the DC metro area are not involved in politics nor are talking about it when their out on the town enjoying themselves. This is one of the biggest misconceptions of any major city i've ever heard. Actually it's kind of funny that people can be so naive to think that in any major metropolis you will have the entire population of the area completely focused on the same singular topic in their spare time.
For what it's worth, I had the political stereotype going by a top 5-10 list of cities for single guys on some website. DC was one of the entries, and said that.

...aaaand here's the list I got that impression from, no less coming from Forbes.

Top Cities for Single Men - Forbes

Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It sounds like your primary reason for moving is for dating prospects. What if you go through the hassle of making such a big move to a new city, and then you still have trouble meeting quality girls? Then what? Will you move to another city?
This guy is 30yo, 5'4 and a software engineer. He should bypass the hassle with american girls and get a foreign bride.

Last edited by fightforlove; 02-06-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
This guy is 30yo, 5'4 and a software engineer. He should bypass the hassle with american girls and get a foreign bride.
I'm a software engineer, not a down right nerd with zero social skills. While yes, I wouldn't mind some hot broad from abroad, I'm not much for a language barrier. If it worked for you, more power to you, but this has zero relevancy for the topic of the thread.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Bump to see if anyone has any other recommendations for cities. I've also heard Charleston, SC is an awesome area, but I don't think it has many actual corporations that would need engineers. I don't necessarily mean tech companies per se, but I don't really consider Facebook or Google, or companies of that nature tech either. It just seems more like a town with history, much like Newport, RI, so I was curious if it did happen to have a corporate area, even if it's considered the outskirts of the city.

Also, anyone have any downsides to Raleigh/DC and VA areas that may be good to know about or consider?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Here's a related story about rent $ in high tech hubs.
Yes, Rent Is Rising Much Faster in America's Tech Hubs - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
I'll caution you though that the rents in all the new housing being built in the city core of Raleigh are much higher than these metro averages. But, then again, I suppose the same is true for the other cities listed.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Well, new housing means higher prices as well, the apartments are fresh and have yet to be defiled, lol. Still, raleigh apts with "much higher rent" still may be cheaper than some basement apt's on long island, which aren't legal to begin with.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfcon View Post
Well, new housing means higher prices as well, the apartments are fresh and have yet to be defiled, lol. Still, raleigh apts with "much higher rent" still may be cheaper than some basement apt's on long island, which aren't legal to begin with.
A new 1100SF luxury 2 bedroom Apt in downtown Raleigh with garage parking, a gym, pool, business center, etc. will run you ~$1800-2000+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.