Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It's winter.
Not in the SOUTH pole.

Global WARMING is supposed to be a year 'round phenomena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
global average temperatures continue on an upward trajectory.
Incorrect. Many parts of the world have seen average declines in temperatures over the past 10-20 years.

Winters are getting colder, which is not a sign of global warming.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

What's it like denying reality until it bites you in the a$$?
That global warming must be responsible for the great lakes freezing over for the first time in many years.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
Hi All,

Which U.S. cities/areas in general do you think will be the best and worst places to live taking climate change of the next 40 years or so into effect. Not to drought-y, not to flood-y, not too hurricane-y - juuust right.

I don't really have too much expertise in the area.
Anthropogenic climate change is a myth and a scam. If you want to avoid natural disasters, look at historical weather data, not listen to snake oil salesmen liars like Al Gore, Michael Jerry Sandusky II Mann, and the other scamsters trying to get rich off of your fears.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:44 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
but global average temperatures continue on an upward trajectory.
False. Temps have been stagnant for about 15 years now.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Just to address some above comments: There is a difference between global warming and climate change. Even if you, for some reason, don't accept global warming, that doesn't negate changes in climate and rising sea levels.

Anyways, looking at that map all I gotta say is what I been saying...Detroit people. Buy now.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:51 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Wrong. National Climate Data indicates that the warmest years globally have all been in the last 10 years.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That global warming must be responsible for the great lakes freezing over for the first time in many years.
You're referring to weather, not climate. Anything else?

Besides, one would argue that Global Climate Change did cause the Great Lakes to freeze. The thawing of the North Pole (and South Pole, for that matter) creates less temperature variability between the cold North Pole and warmer air masses South of it, which is the primary driver of the speed and curve of the jet stream. Changes in temps -- in any capacity -- is what drives wind for the most part. Less variability causes less wind speed and a slower jet stream, along with slower ebbs and flows of said jet stream, which causes weather patterns to stall for much longer periods of time. Refer to the summer of 2012 or this winter in the Midwest/Northeast.

I'm paraphrasing another scientist on this discussion, but that's the gist of it in terms of why the jet stream may be slowing.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Care to back that up?

Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxwolf View Post
Hi All,

Which U.S. cities/areas in general do you think will be the best and worst places to live taking climate change of the next 40 years or so into effect. Not to drought-y, not to flood-y, not too hurricane-y - juuust right.

I don't really have too much expertise in the area. All I've heard is that Miami might not be the best place to be. I have also heard somewhere that San Francisco might be a good place, due to all the preparations they've made, but isn't that area getting pretty drought-y? I'm in western MA right now, right next to the CT River. Honestly, no idea how this area is going to fair. But I guess we've got some time. Knock on wood
If you're concerned that Global Warming will cause the seas to rise, then don't live in a low-lying coastal city. In other words, stay away from any city along the Florida coast, or New Orleans.

If you're worried about hurricanes, look at a map showing the tracks of major hurricanes over the past, say, 50 years; then don't move to the places where the lines crossed over. Keep in mind, though, that most hurricane maps show the trajectories of the storm throughout its entire duration, even when it's been downgraded to nothing but a big rainstorm. I'm too lazy to look, but try and find a map that shows the paths of hurricanes at the times that they were Category 3 or higher.

In general, the eastern U.S. receives far more rain than the western U.S., excepting a relatively narrow strip along the coast. So if you're worried about droughts, don't move to the part of the country that is east of I-5 and west of I-35/I-29. If you're worried about floods, don't move to the part of the country that is west of I-5 or east of I-35 (because of the rain) . . . or if you do, make sure your house is situated higher than any nearby flood plains. "Right next to" the Connecticut River sounds a little close for comfort to me, if you're concerned about floods. (Keep in mind that even dry areas, like Phoenix and Las Vegas, can and do experience flash flooding on rare occasions.) Really, the key to avoid flooding is to be on higher ground than anyplace that is likely to flood, be it caused by a rain-swollen stream, a storm surge, or a tsumami.

As for San Francisco, keep in mind that "they" say the San Andreas Fault is overdue to let loose the Big One. You might want to consult a map showing earthquake hazards, and avoid the places shown to be at great risk.

I would think that somewhere in the Midwest, excepting places near rivers, would be sufficiently remote from the threats that you've identified. (Though, this area does get tornadoes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.