Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
So a drivers license is REQUIRED for stuff? So just cause I can't drive I can't vote next election? Or get into a club? Or enter a bar if I ever decide I want to?
In Texas (and surely in other states) non-drivers can get the same legal photo ID at the drivers' license office. Take that one off your worry list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
You don't say what your prospective housing budget would be or what your work is, but you should start thinking about that, because if you want to have an easy life and be car-free you'll likely have to leave Texas for the cities with the best public transit, i.e. metro areas of Philly, DC, Boston, Chicago, San Fran, and NYC (though you say you don't want Cali or New York). Overall, Philly and Chicago are the least expensive among these. Smaller places that might work include New Orleans and Portand Oregon. There are tons of threads about "walkable" cities, so do a search here on C-D for that.

And yes, I think every state offers an official non-driver's ID that you can use for identification. You can also get a U.S. passport that will serve the same purpose.

And please do NOT do anything drastic like drinking bleach or otherwise hurting yourself. Do what you have to to find a therapist about your driving anxiety and more important, about your depression.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The only "roadblock" in your life is your desire to stay in Texas, which is obviously NOT a good place for you socially, economically, educationally or otherwise. You have not noted ANYTHING good about staying where you are.

Please reconsider moving to a place with good public transportation and get a new life.
I follow light rail developments in this country like a hawk, and BRT lines (Bus Rapid Transit) as well, and with Dallas' awesome DART light rail system (have ridden every mile of it) you can stay there in Texas. Houston is attempting to play catch-up with Dallas, and they're expanding their light rail system as well and San Antonio has a streetcar system on the planning boards.

Los Angeles has one of the best public bus systems in the country, and they're expanding their light rail/subways systems (have ridden every mile of them as well) as fast as they can build them!

At 63, I'm been slowing moving in the direction of car-lessness, taking the bus to work 2-3 nites out of 4, and am loving it! But then, I work the nightshift, and take the late night bus, and early morning buses, and, being an avid reader, that's the selling point for me. Can't drive and read!

Not having a car, that leaves you with a greater disposable income, money you can spend for a nicer place to live, and you may find a partner for a relationship, that likes to drive, and you can, at some point in time, cover some of her car payments or fill the tank now and then. Ah! The wonderful world of equality!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM

746 posts, read 866,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I follow light rail developments in this country like a hawk, and BRT lines (Bus Rapid Transit) as well, and with Dallas' awesome DART light rail system (have ridden every mile of it) you can stay there in Texas. Houston is attempting to play catch-up with Dallas, and they're expanding their light rail system as well and San Antonio has a streetcar system on the planning boards.

Los Angeles has one of the best public bus systems in the country, and they're expanding their light rail/subways systems (have ridden every mile of them as well) as fast as they can build them!

At 63, I'm been slowing moving in the direction of car-lessness, taking the bus to work 2-3 nites out of 4, and am loving it! But then, I work the nightshift, and take the late night bus, and early morning buses, and, being an avid reader, that's the selling point for me. Can't drive and read!

Not having a car, that leaves you with a greater disposable income, money you can spend for a nicer place to live, and you may find a partner for a relationship, that likes to drive, and you can, at some point in time, cover some of her car payments or fill the tank now and then. Ah! The wonderful world of equality!
WHOAH! You are not suggesting I stay links until 63 are you?! There's no way in hell I'm waiting that long. I'm going to drive before 25 for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.