Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Gay people, who are generally peace loving individuals, rehabilitate & bring new life to once ran down neighborhoods, not contribute to them or the crime, rape, & murder that goes along with it.

San Francisco is a sissy city in the mind of most people & that's not knocking it or necessarily a bad thing. Its just the way it is. Now Oakland is the polar opposite & its right across the bay. Everything about it is tough & has been ever since the whole Crack/Cocaine epidemic of the 80's.

As someone else pointed out, a person from Jersey, Philly, Baltimore, or Boston would not consider San Francisco tough.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-06-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM

646 posts, read 926,949 times
whats harder, portland or seattle?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM

596 posts, read 821,309 times
I tend to think that Midwest and East Coast cities are harder than the cities in the West Coast in general. Is this a misconception?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
I tend to think that Midwest and East Coast cities are harder than the cities in the West Coast in general. Is this a misconception?
I don't think it's a misconception. I'm willing to bet that the average West Coast "tough guy" from cities like Seattle and San Francisco would get their a** kicked in a back alley fight in cities like Philly, Boston, and Baltimore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSY2_aC8WQ

Old 04-06-2014, 11:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I would not be scared in any SF hood no matter how Gay, White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian. Gay people, no matter how big or tough looking don't scare me.

Oakland I would be fearing for my life pretty much anywhere. Black & Asian gangs galore even though its become more gentrified over the years Oakland still has lots or crime & murder.

Sacramento & Stockton are 10 times tougher than San Francisco & they are much smaller cities.
I don't know if I'd wandar around Bayview Hunters Point day or night. While SF has this perception of a beautiful city with happy people there are areas I'd avoid. I actually find Oakland or Sacramento a bit rough around the edges than SF.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,744 times
Quote:
I would not be scared in any SF hood no matter how Gay, White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian. Gay people, no matter how big or tough looking don't scare me.

Oakland I would be fearing for my life pretty much anywhere. Black & Asian gangs galore even though its become more gentrified over the years Oakland still has lots or crime & murder.

Sacramento & Stockton are 10 times tougher than San Francisco & they are much smaller cities.
You can discount high crime neighborhoods in San Francisco if you want, but anywhere in Oakland is not "in need of gentrification" or "the result of gentrification" or "lots of crime and murder."

By your own logic, discount Oakland.

Gayest Cities in America
#11. Oakland, California
Quote:
In fact, it boasts more lesbian couples per capita than any other major American city and ranks third in gay- and lesbian-headed households, after San Francisco and Seattle.
Gayest Cities in America, 2013 | Advocate.com

Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
You can discount high crime neighborhoods in San Francisco if you want, but anywhere in Oakland is not "in need of gentrification" or "the result of gentrification" or "lots of crime and murder."

By your own logic, discount Oakland.

Gayest Cities in America
#11. Oakland, California

Gayest Cities in America, 2013 | Advocate.com
You have to take into account Oakland's reputation throughout history and the social stigma associated with it. This may not sound politically correct but most Americans still view Oakland as a dangerous and poor Black city filled with a lot of gang members. Many people perceive San Francisco as being the "anti-Oakland". It may not be the truth but it is what it is in the minds of many Americans.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I understand the tough city soft city comparison.

I live in Chicago and people want to put on a tough front and it seems ignorant to hear people brag on growing up beating people up or how they are 10th generation gang banger. That's backwards. Not even civilized lifestyle. How can someone brag about this lifestyle.

I encounter people all the time who walk around with chips on their shoulders but you take them out of the neighborhood they crumble big time.

Tough guy cities show dysfunction.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I understand the tough city soft city comparison.

I live in Chicago and people want to put on a tough front and it seems ignorant to hear people brag on growing up beating people up or how they are 10th generation gang banger. That's backwards. Not even civilized lifestyle. How can someone brag about this lifestyle.

I encounter people all the time who walk around with chips on their shoulders but you take them out of the neighborhood they crumble big time.

Tough guy cities show dysfunction.
Agreed. Its like bragging your grandfather committed autrocities and war crimes in WWII.

Countries don't go around bragging who had the more badass, despotic dictator.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Gay people, who are generally peace loving individuals, rehabilitate & bring new life to once ran down neighborhoods, not contribute to them or the crime, rape, & murder that goes along with it.

San Francisco is a sissy city in the mind of most people & that's not knocking it or necessarily a bad thing. Its just the way it is. Now Oakland is the polar opposite & its right across the bay. Everything about it is tough & has been ever since the whole Crack/Cocaine epidemic of the 80's.

As someone else pointed out, a person from Jersey, Philly, Baltimore, or Boston would not consider San Francisco tough.
Based on your posts in this thread, you have a screwed up view of things.

What you describe as tough, is not tough. Its evil and subhuman. Like being part of a skinhead group.

What you describe as "sissy" is simply civilized. Period. End of story.

And for the record I'm not even sure why you listed New York, LA, or Chicago as tough as expected. These cities, apart from some major ghetto areas that are not representative of the city as a whole, are in the same category with San Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.