Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:50 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I would not necessarily define a tough city simply because it has a high crime rate. As far as soft cities I'd have to say Kansas City and especially Indianapolis based upon what I've seen. People behave like scared rabbits in both cities. Scared of their own shadow.
\

You clearly know nothing about Kansas City. End up in the wrong parts of Kansas City, and it's a rap for you. Kansas City is VERY segregated amongst it's suburb and the inner city. If you judge KC by the suburbs, then you're not going to get the full picture. Kansas City is historically a very unsafe city, and for a good reason. There are a lot of sensless murders and shootings in Kansas City all of the time. And KC is one of the few US cities that have areas that are certified slums, where you can get murdered by simply walking through the wrong block. KC murder rate has gone down in recent years, but it's a far cry from being a soft city. It shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Denver and Chicago for sure. Indy is a pretty tough town too. Not sure how you're coming up with these conclusions, but I would never wanted to end up in the wrong part of KC or Indy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 05:14 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I was just using Rocky fight scene as a romanticized example but back alley fights are real, so it's not like it wasn't based on reality. For some reason, people who have lived in the inner cities of places like Philly and Boston seem to be tougher on average than inner city residents from places like Sacramento or Denver. Even when I was growing up in South Philly if someone had a dispute, you would handle your business and fight in the back alleys. Those alleys were perfect because they were narrow and it was a lot harder to run way from a fight.
Although much less true today, I think there is something to say about "tougher" or more aggressive social attitudes on the East Coast. I honestly think it is rooted in cities being so historically segregated by race/ethnicity in which you had allegiance to and defended your "turf."

Again, this has changed and continues to change pretty rapidly as new generations are much more integrated and newcomers come along, but there really does seem to be a penchant for aggressiveness on the East Coast compared to other regions.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM

646 posts, read 926,760 times
KC is not soft at all

Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,813,173 times
Being proud of being hard is what stupid people do. If you look at places with hard cultures, the harder they are the more dysfunctional they are. Afghanistan is as hard as it gets, Denmark is about as far as you can go in the other direction, which would most people rather live in?

Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 PM

646 posts, read 926,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Being proud of being hard is what stupid people do. If you look at places with hard cultures, the harder they are the more dysfunctional they are. Afghanistan is as hard as it gets, Denmark is about as far as you can go in the other direction, which would most people rather live in?
Its true, but this is just a discussion. Soft doesnt equal bad, and hard doesnt always equal bad either.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
\

You clearly know nothing about Kansas City. End up in the wrong parts of Kansas City, and it's a rap for you. Kansas City is VERY segregated amongst it's suburb and the inner city. If you judge KC by the suburbs, then you're not going to get the full picture. Kansas City is historically a very unsafe city, and for a good reason. There are a lot of sensless murders and shootings in Kansas City all of the time. And KC is one of the few US cities that have areas that are certified slums, where you can get murdered by simply walking through the wrong block. KC murder rate has gone down in recent years, but it's a far cry from being a soft city. It shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Denver and Chicago for sure. Indy is a pretty tough town too. Not sure how you're coming up with these conclusions, but I would never wanted to end up in the wrong part of KC or Indy
Uh, OK. I only lived there for ten years and went through the worst areas of the city more than once. Just because the city prides itself on a high violent crime rate does not make it tough.

Ever been to Harlem? Makes the worst areas of KC and Indy look like a picnic.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Uh, OK. I only lived there for ten years and went through the worst areas of the city more than once. Just because the city prides itself on a high violent crime rate does not make it tough.

Ever been to Harlem? Makes the worst areas of KC and Indy look like a picnic.

I was born in KC. I haven't lived there in 20 years, but still have a ton of family there, some still living in bad neighborhoods. Go to 39th Chestnut, 12th street, 27th Benton Blvd, up and down Prospect, etc. And then come back and see how that works for you. Even when Oakland/Vallejo had their issues with the KC streets, they knew it the people there were problems. And would never attempt anything IN KC. the people in KC who were murdered were lured to California or Vegas. Remember, Mac Drew was murdered in the streets of KC knowing it would cause a war with the Bay. Trust me, KC does NOT play around. If you go to the hood in KC trying to be Mr. Toughguy, make sure you have your black suit picked out.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfeudB5yAo

Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I was born in KC. I haven't lived there in 20 years, but still have a ton of family there, some still living in bad neighborhoods. Go to 39th Chestnut, 12th street, 27th Benton Blvd, up and down Prospect, etc. And then come back and see how that works for you. Even when Oakland/Vallejo had their issues with the KC streets, they knew it the people there were problems. And would never attempt anything IN KC. the people in KC who were murdered were lured to California or Vegas. Remember, Mac Drew was murdered in the streets of KC knowing it would cause a war with the Bay. Trust me, KC does NOT play around. If you go to the hood in KC trying to be Mr. Toughguy, make sure you have your black suit picked out.
Yeah, I've been there. People seem to mischaracterize a city or region by misapplying a word to describe it. In this case tough is not the same thing as dangerous. If anything it is the opposite. KC and Indy are definitely dangerous cities but that does not make them tough. After seeing how the people panic when it snows is proof of that. And when it gets really cold many will not go to work and call in sick.

Tough is Jack Younglbood playing a portion of the 1984 NFL season with a broken leg. Or Bob Kuechenberg playing with a broken arm and two pins in it during the 1973 NFL season. Camping and hiking in the snow when it is below zero is the sign of a tough or hearty individual. Someone carrying a gun and shooting at people that are unarmed for whatever reason is not the sign of a tough guy. The person without the gun that stands up to that kind of person is tough.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 AM

180 posts, read 261,725 times
While people in KC do tend to overexaggerate how bad certain areas are (consequently writing off some of the most fascinating areas of the city), the murder rate in KC is among the highest for large cities in the US (23 per 100,000 residents in 2013). I suspect one reason why KC may be thought as "soft" is because the city limits are so large and happen to comprise so much area that is farmland or borderline rural, due to the fact that the city annexed a bunch of land so that their airport would be contiguous with the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.