Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times

Advertisements

For me this seems to be a showdown between California, Florida, Texas, and Ohio. Florida has Tampa Bay, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, St. Petersburg, Fort Myers, Naples, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami. Texas has Houston, Waco, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, and El Paso. Ohio has Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, and Portsmouth. California has San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, Sacramento, and San Francisco. OHio has an astounding number of major cities for a state its size (it certainly is one of the smaller states as far as land area goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 AM

154 posts, read 707,099 times
naples, FL has only a population of 21,000+. definitely not a major city. and it's not tampa bay, it's just tampa. tampa bay is the metro region.

portsmouth, OH is also only around 21,000. what about lima (40,000+ instead)? or even mansfield (50,000+, with a noticeable skyline too). just not portsmouth.

to answer the question though, i've always thought ohio as the #1, especially based on size ratio. but it's probably technically california or texas.

despite being small, and these cities being in the way of only 60,000-150,000 each, connecticut has a wide array of small cities. there's hartford, bridgeport, new haven, meriden, stamford, waterbury, norwalk, danbury, new london, etc.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
For me this seems to be a showdown between California, Florida, Texas, and Ohio. Florida has Tampa Bay, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, St. Petersburg, Fort Myers, Naples, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami. Texas has Houston, Waco, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, and El Paso. Ohio has Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, and Portsmouth. California has San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, Sacramento, and San Francisco. OHio has an astounding number of major cities for a state its size (it certainly is one of the smaller states as far as land area goes.
I'd say California, though Texas is a close second.

LA
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Oakland (bigger than New Orleans or Memphis)
Sacramento
Palm Springs

Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Well...if you go by the number of city sub-forums on this website, it is a tie between Texas and California (six each).

Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
California

Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,172 times
I'd say its a three-way tie between Florida, California and Texas. I count four major cities/metro areas in each. Florida is debatable, since I'm not sure Jacksonville qualifies as a major city.

Florida: Orlando, Miami-West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, Tampa-St. Pete

Texas: Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio

California: San Francisco-San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento

Ohio would be in the next tier with 3 major cities.

The more I look at my list, the more I don't agree with it. Should El Paso be considered in the Texas list? How bout Fresno? Are they comparable in size to Jacksonville?

Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Quote:
Florida has Tampa Bay, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, St. Petersburg, Fort Myers, Naples, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami
The only major cities in FL are Miami and Tampa, with Jacksonville and Orlanda on their way. The others are towns.

Same thing with Texas. Waco!?! El Paso??? These are small metros.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
I would say California is the #1 state with the most major cities: 1. Los Angeles, 2. San Diego, 3. San Francisco, 4. San Jose, 5. Oakland, 6. Sacramento, 7. Fresno. Long Beach and Anaheim are pretty big too. Anaheim is basically like the center of Orange County, and they have their own hockey team (and baseball until it became the "L.A. Angels of Anaheim"). Santa Barbara is also a decent size.

#2 would be Texas: 1. Houston, 2. Dallas, 3. San Antonio, 4. Austin, 5. Ft. Worth, 6. El Paso

Florida: 1. Miami, 2. Jacksonville, 3. Tampa, 4. St. Pete, 5. Orlando

Ohio: 1. Cleveland, 2. Columbus, 3. Cincinnati, 4. Toledo, 5. Dayton, 6. Akron

Surprisingly, New York state doesn't have a lot of big cities. It just has NYC and Buffalo. Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany are kind of big, but I don't know if they would be considered major cities.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Tennessee is another state that has a lot of big cities for it's size. It has Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville which are good sized cities.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times
This isn't a very scientific method, but California has seven cities with major pro sports teams bearing their names: Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and San Diego. That has to say something for the size/significance of each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.