Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times

Advertisements

Colorado sounds like a good option for you. You could also look at Idaho and Montana as well as Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agypsy_soul View Post
Hi y'all,

First time poster - my family and I are looking for our new home, but like so many others are very conflicted about where that could be. I've researched numerous places from NM, AZ,CO to NY, MD,VT and ME. I know nowhere will be perfect, but if it meets a good bit of our requirements, it's worth a look.

What I like about Vermont is it appears a lot of the public schools grow their own food, or they get it from local farmers. But housing ( we will rent for at least a year) seems extremely expensive and hard to come by.

We are fairly liberal, but it's not like we wear a sign around our necks, lol, but would like to live somewhere that is open minded. We would evenetually like to live off-grid and run an in home business.

*Outdoor activities are important, and would love to have access to a good swimming hole.
*Medical care - including holsitic care. Medical marijuana would definitely be a plus.
*Good schools, of course, like everyone else.
*Within an hour or so of a city of about 30-50K, we prefer small town life - farmer's markets, outdoor festivals, music venue.
*College within 30 minutes or so.
*We don't require employment, but our oldest son will need a part time job - probably restaurant / retail, etc.
*I'm a complete and total baby when it comes to tornadoes and earthquakes, ( I know it's crazy) so don't want to live in tornado alley or on a fault line.
*We're hardworking, so living somewhere that scares others off, won't necessarily scare us.
*We have always coached our kids in sports and would like a community that we can become involved in and attached to.
*Spirtual, not church goers
*Love snow! The more the better - although we will want a garden, even if it has a short growing season.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is a good start. Thanks for any suggestions you can give us.
You're hardworking but you dont require employment? If you dont require employment how do you know you are hardworking?

And how do you expect to afford a home if you dont work?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times
I believe the op said he runs an in home business.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
Even though it's not one of the states you're looking at, why not look into Spokane, Wa area? Granted, Spokane itself is too big for what you want, but there's plenty of smaller towns nearby... and it fits just about everything else you're looking for.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Middlebury, VT. Very strong local food scene. Great Farmers Market. Lots of local farms that have CSAs. Home to a winery, a hard cider maker, and 2 breweries. Home to Middlebury College. Good schools. 45 minutes to Burlington. Tons of outdoor activities - skiing (X-Country at Rikert in Ripton or downhill at the Middlebury College SnowBowl in Hancock). Lots of hiking. Swimming/boating at Lake Dunmore. Lake Champlain not far either. Great festivals -the Vermont Chili Fest and Festival on the Green are top ones. Arts - After Dark Music Series, Town Hall Theater, Middlebury College.
http://www.addisoncounty.com/

plenty of stuff to do with kids: http://www.minibury.com

Old 04-14-2014, 08:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I believe the op said he runs an in home business.
No he said he wants to. Doesn't mean he actually will. Safe to say, it's tough to make a liveable wage running a "home business" - he will likely need to seek employment out of the home.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 10,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You're hardworking but you dont require employment? If you dont require employment how do you know you are hardworking?

And how do you expect to afford a home if you dont work?
I hope I'm reading that wrong, because if not you sound very nasty. If I'm wrong I apologize. But to answer your questions, guess I needed a comma, that sentence should have read, "We want to live off grid, and run an in home business".

Besides the fact that many people who are not secularly employed are very hard working. Nowhere in my post does it say that we don't work, or that we've never worked. Hard working can mean many things - I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, or do things that a lot of people may consider too difficult - such as building my own home or living off the land, eating things we've grown.

We vaule hard work, and supporting yourself, hence the statement about my son needing part time employment. As for how we expect to pay for our housing, is that something you really need to know to suggest a town / state for us to check into? Suffice it to say, we have money for our housing. We're not in the top 1%, but again, have an in home business that does very well. That doesn't mean we aren't concerned with COL, but if the place fits most of our other needs and that is the only draw back, I can make that work.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I actually looked into ithaca at one time, but was worried about the fracking - is that still an issue in that vicinity?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agypsy_soul View Post
I hope I'm reading that wrong, because if not you sound very nasty. If I'm wrong I apologize. But to answer your questions, guess I needed a comma, that sentence should have read, "We want to live off grid, and run an in home business".

Besides the fact that many people who are not secularly employed are very hard working. Nowhere in my post does it say that we don't work, or that we've never worked. Hard working can mean many things - I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, or do things that a lot of people may consider too difficult - such as building my own home or living off the land, eating things we've grown.

We vaule hard work, and supporting yourself, hence the statement about my son needing part time employment. As for how we expect to pay for our housing, is that something you really need to know to suggest a town / state for us to check into? Suffice it to say, we have money for our housing. We're not in the top 1%, but again, have an in home business that does very well. That doesn't mean we aren't concerned with COL, but if the place fits most of our other needs and that is the only draw back, I can make that work.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I actually looked into ithaca at one time, but was worried about the fracking - is that still an issue in that vicinity?
I believe that Ithaca is in a watershed that is exempt from fracking, but I'd check again. Some area towns have proposed a ban against fracking within those towns. I know that the watershed around Syracuse is exempt from Fracking and may be another option as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that Ithaca is in a watershed that is exempt from fracking, but I'd check again. Some area towns have proposed a ban against fracking within those towns. I know that the watershed around Syracuse is exempt from Fracking and may be another option as well.
Just to throw a community out there that may fit: Village of Baldwinsville
Baldwinsville Central School District
Baldwinsville Chamber Of Commerce Home
https://www.facebook.com/PaperMillIsland

Baldwinsville Youth Soccer Association > Home
Eteamz.com
Baldwinsville Boys Youth Basketball
Bville Youth Lacrosse
BALDWINSVILLE LITTLE LEAGUE
Lysander Youth Hockey Association
Greater Baldwinsville Ice Arena
Baldwinsville | YMCA of Greater Syracuse

Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 AM

A couple of other areas that may work due to their proximity to Vermont are Plattsburgh and Glens Falls in the Northeastern portion of Upstate NY. Overall COL is higher in Glens Falls, but it is a bigger area. Plattsburgh is also within an hour or so of Montreal. So, that may be appealing too.

Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

North Country Chamber-Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-17-2014 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.