Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 AM

19 posts, read 29,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NC is Southern. Point blank period. Sorry if you don't like it.
Slim. Do you follow me on every post? You seem obsessed with this southern thing. You claim to be black but there's not many black NCers that are obsessed with claiming to be southern. Only people like that I've encountered was from the deep south or places such as Tennessee. I have no problem with North Carolina, which is why I'm posting what I know about the state, as well as my experience, travels, knowledge, etc and NC isn't all that southern, especially the black population. It doesn't feel all that much different from Virginia, parts of Maryland, and Southern Delaware. Hell, the majority of the black population is influenced by DC and Maryland as well being more east coast influenced. I seen REAL south and it's the moment you step foot into Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and even South Carolina, etc. Overall, they feel vastly different from North Carolina. I know this. I'm not just some random Citydata poster who post about things he/she doesn't know or talk about places they've never ever experienced. I go by what I know, along with experience, facts, etc and NC ain't all that southern. It's more Mid-Atlantic culturally and geographically, being that it's virtually the midway point between Maine and Florida and takes similar distance to get to both state. Calm down joe!

Last edited by The Juice; 04-17-2014 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Slim. Do you follow me on every post? You seem obsessed with this southern thing. You claim to be black but there's not many black NCers that are obsessed with claiming to be southern. Only people like that I've encountered was from the deep south or places such as Tennessee. I have no problem with North Carolina, which is why I'm posting what I know about the state, as well as my experience, travels, knowledge, etc and NC isn't all that southern, especially the black population. It doesn't feel all that much different from Virginia, parts of Maryland, and Southern Delaware. Hell, the majority of the black population is influenced by DC and Maryland as well being more east coast influenced. I seen REAL south and it's the moment you step foot into Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and even South Carolina, etc. Overall, they feel vastly different from North Carolina. I know this. I'm not just some random Citydata poster who post about things he/she doesn't know or talk about places they've never ever experienced. I go by what I know, along with experience, facts, etc and NC ain't all that southern. It's more Mid-Atlantic culturally and geographically, being that it's virtually the midway point between Maine and Florida and takes similar distance to get to both state. Calm down joe!
LMAO! You're the new poster who has doesn't even live in NC and has commented on no other threads except ones about NC in the General US forum which is already extremely suspect. I'm a former resident of the state and a native Southerner, and apparently you're a young cat who hasn't interacted much with Black Southerners because otherwise you'd know that we're proud of our Southern roots. Even the hip hop crowd embraces its Southern roots ("the dirty dirty"). I suggest you put some more time in around these parts and demonstrate that you're not here for the sole purpose of declaring NC's so-called mid-Atlanticness. Otherwise it reeks of borderline trollism and you'll be like this one poster who has nothing else to say besides "Maryland and Delaware are Southern states and y'all are just hating on them." Nobody takes him seriously and you're real close to being in the same category. You have yet to make one intelligent, coherent argument to substantiate your position and at this point I'm not holding my breath.

I suggest you reserve your expertise for the NOVA/DC forums because NC isn't your specialty. Saying Greensboro is identical to Norfolk in vibe and feel discredits you in a major way in and of itself.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
No one thinks of Maryland and Delaware as culturally Southern these days.
Until you explorer the entire state of Maryland and Delaware there is nothing you can't say to justify you discriminating BS opinion.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
NC is Southern. Point blank, period. Sorry if you don't like it.
If Maryland and Delaware ain't southern then Virginia and North Carolina fo D--- sure ain't southern.....

Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Umm hmm, just like how your describing NC can also be describe about Maryland and Delaware being southern states.

Quote:
LMAO! You're the new poster who has doesn't even live in NC and has commented on no other threads except ones about NC in the General US forum which is already extremely suspect. I'm a former resident of the state and a native Southerner, and apparently you're a young cat who hasn't interacted much with Black Southerners because otherwise you'd know that we're proud of our Southern roots. Even the hip hop crowd embraces its Southern roots ("the dirty dirty"). I suggest you put some more time in around these parts and demonstrate that you're not here for the sole purpose of declaring NC's so-called mid-Atlanticness. Otherwise it reeks of borderline trollism and you'll be like this one poster who has nothing else to say besides "Maryland and Delaware are Southern states and y'all are just hating on them." Nobody takes him seriously and you're real close to being in the same category. You have yet to make one intelligent, coherent argument to substantiate your position and at this point I'm not holding my breath.

I suggest you reserve your expertise for the NOVA/DC forums because NC isn't your specialty. Saying Greensboro is identical to Norfolk in vibe and feel discredits you in a major way in and of itself.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,603 times
South Carolina. It has the most familial ties with NC and it's also a Carolina.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:31 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Fat. You seem obsessed with this whole mid-atlantic thing...

Look kid it is pretty simply. In case no one has noticed the 'mid-atlantic' is apart of the south. The south is pretty large and has many distinct regions within it. Virginia is apart of that and if Virginia isn't the South, than Massachusetts is on the West Coast and Chicago is on the Gulf.

The problem some people has is too many just want to bad mouth the south in general. This has caused some people to want to separate themselves from the south.

At the end of the day thought when we look at what all the south actually is in its entirety... it isn't that bad. The problem is people have to look at it as a whole and not just through the lens of an outdated stereotype. Quite frequently this mentality just shows someones ignorance and how dumb they really are or their lack of being able to have a backbone and stand up for themselves to ignorant people.

North Carolina is definitely the South. They are a very successful part of the south and should be proud of it.

For the record you are so ignorant on Southern culture I'm not even sure what to say.

The Appalachian culture you mention (Tennessee, Kentucky, [north] Georgia) is different from other parts of the south, but they are all still the South.

But just so you know... I'm not just some random citydata poster who posts about things he doesn't know about or talk about places they've never experienced... I'm some dude on an internet board that has all the 'facts' and I go by what I know... etc etc and all that BS. So just calm down Moe!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:39 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Anyways all having fun with ignorant people aside...

back to the OP

I can't shake the GA thing. I understand the arguments about NC having many mid-size [successful] cities and Georgia being very centered on one reeeeally big successful city. It is a point well made.

The parallels I see:

both...
-started out being the poorer area earlier on
-are Southern
-are on the Atlantic coast
-are an original colony
-are progressive in that moderate way in their cities, but have issues with state governments
-are likely to vote conservative, but are very close to being 50-50 largely on the rural-urban divide
-are economic stand outs in the South
-have successful higher education encouraging growth
-have strong economic growth over other Southern neighbors
-most of the population lives in the Piedmont

However the types of beaches/islands both states have are very different. This is caused by the difference of the coastline being concave or convex to the tidal surges.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Anyways all having fun with ignorant people aside...

back to the OP

I can't shake the GA thing. I understand the arguments about NC having many mid-size [successful] cities and Georgia being very centered on one reeeeally big successful city. It is a point well made.

The parallels I see:

both...
-started out being the poorer area earlier on
-are Southern
-are on the Atlantic coast
-are an original colony
-are progressive in that moderate way in their cities, but have issues with state governments
-are likely to vote conservative, but are very close to being 50-50 largely on the rural-urban divide
-are economic stand outs in the South
-have successful higher education encouraging growth
-have strong economic growth over other Southern neighbors
-most of the population lives in the Piedmont

However the types of beaches/islands both states have are very different. This is caused by the difference of the coastline being concave or convex to the tidal surges.
GA and NC definitely have several similarities, and I do understand people making an argument for it. I just think NC and VA share the most similarities.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Yes ,I see I left off the North part by accident. But, strangely enough that is what a lot of people call it and a person from there. If one person is from NC and the other from SC they'll still call the person Carolina...Ill be like "which one?"... and they'll still say "Carolina." Some people are ignorant and seem to think that Carolina means either Carolina like theres no difference at all, but having lived in both I know better. There was a link to State Similarity Scores "Is Pennsylvania as a whole more similar in feel to Ohio or Maryland?" thread...I used that one.
I wouldn't say that it's ignorance. Saying "Carolina" isn't saying that North Carolina & South Carolina are the same, but just remember, Eastern NC and Western NC aren't the same either If we applied that at law, then we would have a North Carolina, South Carolina, East Carolina and West Carolina!! I am from North Carolina, and I have friends from South Carolina. Many people from both states (I included) refer to the term "Carolina" as well. You have some people from California that will say, " I'm from Southern California, or Northern California." Carolina was actually ONE colony a few hundred years ago. We have CAROLINA HURRICANES, CAROLINA PANTHERS etc. There is nothing wrong with referring to any Carolina, North or South as just "Carolina", because both states ARE Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.