Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:58 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times

Advertisements

Outside of Seattle/Portland and their immediate surroundings, what are the best cities in the Pacific Northwest states? I guess more specifically, ones that offer the compromise of being less expensive/busy/closer to nature, but still offer things to do/bars/culture etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Boise
Bend
Spokane / Coeur d'Alene
Bellingham
Olympia
Walla Walla
Missoula
Kalispell / Whitefish / Bigfork

Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I agree with Andy's list, and would add Eugene and Medford.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:56 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
I can't beleive anyone considers those places in Idaho and Montana part of the Pacific NW. I lived in Eugene for 4 years and I don't consider anything east of Bend of Yakima to be part of the Pacific NW.

I mean, Kalispell? Its 10 hours to the ocean. That's like calling Wichita, KS a "Gulf Coast" city. And speaking of Kansas, Walla Walla and Spokane look and act more like Kansas, culturally and geographically, than they do like Pacific Coast or even Willamette Valley towns.

As the Pacific NW has gotten more popular, I've noticed its stretched quite a bit east of anything that could legitimately be called Pacific anything, as far as I'm concerned. Talk about prole drift...

Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I can't beleive anyone considers those places in Idaho and Montana part of the Pacific NW. I lived in Eugene for 4 years and I don't consider anything east of Bend of Yakima to be part of the Pacific NW.

I mean, Kalispell? Its 10 hours to the ocean. That's like calling Wichita, KS a "Gulf Coast" city. And speaking of Kansas, Walla Walla and Spokane look and act more like Kansas, culturally and geographically, than they do like Pacific Coast or even Willamette Valley towns.

As the Pacific NW has gotten more popular, I've noticed its stretched quite a bit east of anything that could legitimately be called Pacific anything, as far as I'm concerned. Talk about prole drift...

The OP should have titled this "Smaller NW Cities". There is the pacific Northwest and the inland Northwest and just because Northwest is in both names does not mean that both regions need to look/act like each other.

I prefer to just call the Washington/Oregon/Idaho/extreme western Montana area the Northwest. Boise has a lot of western WA and OR transplants who want to still be in the Northwest but have more sun and dryer weather....hence the inland northwest. Also, the landscape and area around Coeur d'Alene looks like it would be in western Washington if you didn't know it was in Idaho.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:

It's not referred as PNW because of the "physical closeness" to the ocean. Those areas were part of the Pacific Northwest territory and while Walla Walla and Spokane are not as liberal and have somewhat of a contentious relationship with their wet brethren... there's no question they also have that bit of PNW culture.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:

Well fair enough, but if the Pacific Northwest ends at the eastern edge of the Cascades it's not even half of two states... Considering how other regions in the US are defined, that's a pretty small sub-region. If you wanted to get technical the stereotypical image and climate of the Pacific Northwest ends around the crest of the Cascades. People from outside the region seem to get upset about the use of "Pacific" to describe the rest of Oregon and Washington, but seriously, who cares? They're still stuck in the same state borders as the western portion of the NW states.

Also, Walla Walla is a college town and weekend trip to wine country for Seattlities these days, it's not really that much like anywhere in Kansas except for maybe Lawrence. Spokane feels like a lot of the inland West. Culturally you could say that half the small towns in the Willamette Valley feel like Kansas except for the mountains on the horizon.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
and Spokane look and act more like Kansas, culturally and geographically
Yeah, it sure is hard to tell the two apart with all the hills and evergreen trees around Kansas.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It's not referred as PNW because of the "physical closeness" to the ocean. Those areas were part of the Pacific Northwest territory and while Walla Walla and Spokane are not as liberal and have somewhat of a contentious relationship with their wet brethren... there's no question they also have that bit of PNW culture.
Sometimes the Pacific Northwest gets described as the Columbia River Basin and everything else west of the Cascades down to Northern California. That's the expanded definition...

People differentiate between the NW Coast and the Greater Pacific Northwest though. Most of Oregon's population centers aren't on the coast or a body of salt water to begin with.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-14-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:

Their may be some political difference but those cities are still "Pacific Northwest" from a historical, cultural, geological, and bio perspective. The language affiliations of the first nations (Native American Groups) living before European settlers pretty much follow the modern boundaries of what makes up the PNW today.

The PNW extends from SE Alaska through British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho Panhandle into Oregon. Some would extend that down to Northern California.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.