Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Talking about racial diversity with some friends the other day and we were wondering at how rare it is to see any neighborhoods in big U.S. cities that have a substantial mix of black and white residents living together.

There are all sorts of city neighborhoods that are diverse with other ethinc mixes. But the black and white one seems the rarest. Now we can talk about the historical, economic, political reasons for that ad nauseum, but what I really want to know is what are the black/white neighborhoods in cities? And I means a substantial share of both blacks and whites, not just the the three wealthy black people who might live in wealthy predominatnely white areas like Park Ave in NYC or Beacon HIll in Boston, for example.

In New York, Ft. Greene
In Chicago, Hyde Park, Rogers Park
In DC, ?????
In Boston ???????? (Jamaica Plain?
In LA ????????
In Cleveland ???????? (Shaker Heights is a suburb, no?)
IN St. Louis ???????
In Atlanta????????
In Miami ????????
IN Philadelphia ???????
In Dallas????
IN Houston??????

Feel free to add any others you know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Believe it or not, despite Cincinnatis reputation as being a conservative, and even accused of a being a racist city, Cincinnati does for a metro its size have some nice, middle class stable neighborhoods with a very even mix of black and white. These include:

Pleasant Ridge
North Avondale-Paddock Hills
College Hill/North College Hill
Northside (more appealing to hipster-artsy-bohemians than families)
Areas near downtown like the Gateway quarter of Over the Rhine and Prospect Hill feel integrated as the gentrification is very slow and patchy. Where revitalized streets/cool bars, clubs and restaurants sort of intermingle with "the hood"
Also, Springdale and nearby areas in the far north suburbs near I-75/I-275.

In the Chicago area: Places like Oak Park-Forest Park are integrated, although Forest Park is more "even" as its more affordable. This area is very much like Cleveland Hts in Cleveland metro.

Also, in addition to Hyde Park-Kenwood, Beverly-Morgan Park is an upper middle class area, although alittle more white in Beverly and a little more black in Morgan Park.

River Oaks is a shopping mall in the south suburbs that feels evenly mixed and integrated.

Also, Bolingbrook near Naperville is a middle class suburb that has a rather even mix of black, white, Asian, and hispanic. One of the few areas like it.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM

35 posts, read 85,463 times
Chicago is the most segregated major city in America. There are almost ZERO neighborhoods with an "even mix" actually living there. Sad.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Here's a few:

Capitol Hill (SE quadrant) - DC
Mount Airy - Philadelphia
East Atlanta/Virginia Highlands - Atlanta

Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM

143 posts, read 290,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obama4mayor View Post
Chicago is the most segregated major city in America. There are almost ZERO neighborhoods with an "even mix" actually living there. Sad.
Uhhh...I'm not delusional to think Chicago doesn't have segregation problems, but it's funny when you say ZERO when the OP gave two examples:

Hyde Park: 43.5% White, 37.6% Black

Hyde Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rogers Park: 31.8%, 29.6% Black

Rogers Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there are plenty of other neighborhoods that aren't as completely segregated as you would think:

Uptown: 42.2% White, 21.1% Black, 19.1% Hispanic, 12.9% Asian

Uptown, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Near West Side: 25.3& White, 52.9% Black, 9.51% Hispanic, 10.5% Asian

Near West Side, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I'm not saying that segregation doesn't exist in Chicago, but it's prevalent in all major northern cities due to not being forced to physically integrate.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
I grew up in a neighborhood in Charlotte (Easthaven) with a mix of Black, White, with some Asian, Middle Eastern and Latino families. This was during the 1980s, and with our middle school in the neighborhood (I'm black, by the way), I had friends who were Korean, Iranian, White, a few other ethnicities. Since we grew up together, and it was a very quiet neighborhood, it wasn't really a big deal. At the time I was growing up, I think I took it for granted, as I knew there were many other middle-class, or upper-middle-class neighborhoods that were pretty mixed around the East, Southeast and South parts of the city - I had to grow up and move away and see some of the rest of the US to realize that distinctly wasn't true all over the US.

In Charlotte, out of EVERY ethnicity, it seems like segregation is far more tied to poverty - the poor neighborhoods would be all-white-and-poor, or all-black-and-poor, or all-latino-and-poor (which might have as much to do with education and exposure to the world as it does with socioeconomics), but that was far, far less true in middle-class settings.

I would note that Charlotte changed fast - from the 70s into the 80s. I can remember the early days of school desegregation in the 1970s, and bomb threats were routine in schools. Ten years later you could live in a neighborhood that looked like the United Nations - if you were of a certain economic class, or had a certain level of education - and no one gave a damn.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its hard to diversify and mix when someone is gooning you. lets ask somebody that understands diversity at its finest-- on the hood. lets ask the korean store owner on the hood how diversity is done.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Definitely Mount Airy in Philly. Also Spruce Hill/University City and West Germantown.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Memphis
Midtown - eclectic n'hood 38111
Berclair/Highland Heights- poor/working class n'hood 38112

Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Park Hill in Denver (particularly North and South, but not Northeast).

Parts of Aurora as well (south and southeast especially, it's suburban though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.