Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
According to that article
Which is why I’m laughing at that article. No way do these states have more diversity than Texas. Or New Jersey which was omitted as well for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:10 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Mississippi, Tennessee, or Alabama.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:16 AM

239 posts, read 232,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Which is why I’m laughing at that article. No way do these states have more diversity than Texas. Or New Jersey which was omitted as well for some reason.
Yeah, my ranking would be (probably a little off lol):

New York
California
New Jersey
Florida
Texas
Maryland
Illinois
Arizona

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Puerto Rico

Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
The Midwest is the most quintessentially American region, and Ohio is the most quintessentially Midwestern state, so Ohio. It runs the gamut of the American experience. It has a pre-Revolutionary War history and has been relevant to the United States in some way since the founding of the nation. It has given us 8 presidents and is looked to as the bellwether of U.S. presidential politics. It boomed during the 19th and 20th centuries, becoming a migration hotspot resulting in a diverse mix of ancestry groups. It experienced the dizzying highs of prosperity from manufacturing in the 20th century and now some of its regions are experiencing the depths of manufacturing's collapse. Ohio is among the states most affected by the opioid epidemic in the United States. On the other hand, while some of Ohio is in a deep pit of economic and social despair, parts of it are thriving. Columbus is booming and shaping itself into something of a tech hub. Its suburb of Dublin is one of the most prosperous in the Midwest, if not the country.

Ohio is a microcosm of the United States. It seems to experience, in some way, all of the failures and successes of the country at large.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
The Midwest is the most quintessentially American region, and Ohio is the most quintessentially Midwestern state, so Ohio. It runs the gamut of the American experience. It has a pre-Revolutionary War history and has been relevant to the United States in some way since the founding of the nation. It has given us 8 presidents and is looked to as the bellwether of U.S. presidential politics. It boomed during the 19th and 20th centuries, becoming a migration hotspot resulting in a diverse mix of ancestry groups. It experienced the dizzying highs of prosperity from manufacturing in the 20th century and now some of its regions are experiencing the depths of manufacturing's collapse. Ohio is among the states most affected by the opioid epidemic in the United States. On the other hand, while some of Ohio is in a deep pit of economic and social despair, parts of it are thriving. Columbus is booming and shaping itself into something of a tech hub. Its suburb of Dublin is one of the most prosperous in the Midwest, if not the country.

Ohio is a microcosm of the United States. It seems to experience, in some way, all of the failures and successes of the country at large.

Pennsylvania matches or exceeds this on every note. I do not understand how Pennsylvania is not in the running based on your philosophy. Pittsburgh has completely transformed itself from its steel days to new and emerging tech & meds giant.

Philadelphia was the workshop of the world historically and also has successfully transitioned into the 21st century. Hell I would say Philadelphia is a complete microcosm of the US more than any other major city.

In terms of history, only about 2 other states can match us in the USA, and while only having one president from PA there is no denial our political legacy had an impact on this nation for over 150 years. Do you understand that MOST OF THE U.S CONSTITUTION WAS MODELED AFTER THE PENNSYLVANIA CONSTITUTION.

I am sure many people do not realize this, but George Washington wanted the US Capitol to be located within Pennsylvania. The location, renamed Columbia, Pennsylvania sits on the shores of the Susquehanna, about 35 miles south of Harrisburg. That location lost by only ONE VOTE.

I bring this up because, Pennsylvania's influence on American politics literally shaped the foundation of this nation. The Commonwealth was always #1 and then once NYC rose fell but ALWAYS stayed as the #2 wealthiest state in the nation up until the beginning of the 20th century.

The industries and institutions that SHAPED this nation; much of it started here in Pennsylvania.

From the mighty Pennsylvania Railroad to the first business school in the US. Hell even Mother's Day and Girl Scout Cookies were invented here in Pennsylvania

Ohio is a great place. Large state. Alot of cities, which is wonderful. It surely has a place on the list. But so does Pennsylvania.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-27-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 09:09 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Pennsylvania matches or exceeds this on every note. I am do not understand how Pennsylvania is not in the running based on your philosophy.
It's certainly in the running. It would be in my top 5 for sure. But if I have to choose one, it's Ohio.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Ohio and Missouri was top on the polls they did for question before that is what I will go with. I would go with Indiana and Ill as well but they were not as popular as the top 2.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
I'd choose Virginia. It has a little of everything--mountains, beaches, large metro area, farms, small towns. It has a southern feel (southern half of state), a coastal/beachy feel, and a northern feel (Northern VA). Charlottesville also has the feel of the artsy towns in the west coast. Plenty of blue collar workers, yet also lots of IT workers, medical research and universities.

Whatever you consider the mark of a quintessential American state is found there (possible exception: I'm not sure there are many native Americans.) Certainly there is a wide variety of people living there, including people who have families going back for more than 100 years and a huge number of people who have just moved in. How American is that!

Also, while not a big deal, I think being one of the original 13 colonies also helps make it a quintessential American state.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Probably these 3--Ohio, Missouri, Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.