Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:09 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
What am I wrong about? The Bruins and Celtics attendance is fickle unless they're doing well. Attendance figures and data proves this. You have nothing to fall back on here.

Ottawa's numbers are low because their arena is literally in the middle of nowhere in Kanata. They're in talks to build a new arena in downtown Ottawa, which makes way more sense.

Yes, the North Star College Cup, which has a higher annual attendance than the Beanpot. Minnesota high school games sell out the XCel Energy Center. Does Boston high school hockey sell out TD Garden?

Minnesota and Michigan hockey destroy anything that comes out of Massachusetts, and even Upstate NY at this point. Patrick Kane is probably gonna go down as the best American player of all-time.

Massachusetts has produced I believe the third most NHLers from the States, but the vast majority are tweeners and average players with some HoF exceptions like Roenick, Guerin and Tkachuk.

Boston has more followers than Montreal and Toronto, so I guess Boston is more of a hockeytown than Toronto and Montreal. Give me a break. This is why so many people knock Boston for it's arrogance. Your head is up your ass. Can you even name the Bruins point leader this year without looking it up? Can you even name five current Bruins? I can, and I'm not even a Bruins fan. Post this on HFBoards, you can be the comic relief in an instant.
Pasta leads goals Marchand leads points, and Rask leads goalies in points (2).
Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Czarnick, Rask, McIntyre, Chara, Spooner, Nash, Millar, Miller, Backes. Is that enough for you?
Do you know how many hockey east teams are in the top 20?
Do you know the weakest college Conference?
The fact is College Hockey is the most popular college sport in New England while most other regions it is football. NESN carries tons of College Hockey while BC football is on TV when they face Notre Dame or Clemson.
It's just true in terms of general sports knowledge of the Population Massachusetts is more into Hickey than football.
I also said social media doesn't mean much if they are in the same ballpark but when one has 1,016,000 more followers or about 1200% more followers it is significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 AM

256 posts, read 265,809 times
Definitely stay away from the northwest!

I'd say Nevada or New Mexico maybe. Both have no football culture, probably because their teams stink and have for a very long time.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Not to pick on their fan bases, but I imagine SD and STL have gotten significantly less football crazed than before.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM

43 posts, read 34,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Pasta leads goals Marchand leads points, and Rask leads goalies in points (2).
Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Czarnick, Rask, McIntyre, Chara, Spooner, Nash, Millar, Miller, Backes. Is that enough for you?
Do you know how many hockey east teams are in the top 20?
Do you know the weakest college Conference?
The fact is College Hockey is the most popular college sport in New England while most other regions it is football. NESN carries tons of College Hockey while BC football is on TV when they face Notre Dame or Clemson.
It's just true in terms of general sports knowledge of the Population Massachusetts is more into Hickey than football.
I also said social media doesn't mean much if they are in the same ballpark but when one has 1,016,000 more followers or about 1200% more followers it is significant.

I'm sure you didn't look any up, and none of this negates the fact of poor attendance when the Bruins are bad. It's that simple.

You're only counterpoint is a weak one, because Minnesota, Michigan and New York produce more talent and have just as much a hockey culture, if not moreso.

What is funny is all the other Boston folks on HFBoards saying the Bruins and Celtics are niche interests with the Bruins having more diehards. All things being equal it's a Red Sox town and per the OP, the Patriots hold interest because of winning only. It took arguably the best QB/coach duo and controversial cheating for people to follow the Patriots in a non-football region.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Eastern North Carolina much of South Carolina and parts of Virginia... College basketball will be all the rage but not football.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
I'm sure you didn't look any up, and none of this negates the fact of poor attendance when the Bruins are bad. It's that simple.

You're only counterpoint is a weak one, because Minnesota, Michigan and New York produce more talent and have just as much a hockey culture, if not moreso.

What is funny is all the other Boston folks on HFBoards saying the Bruins and Celtics are niche interests with the Bruins having more diehards. All things being equal it's a Red Sox town and per the OP, the Patriots hold interest because of winning only. It took arguably the best QB/coach duo and controversial cheating for people to follow the Patriots in a non-football region.
How hard is it to understand that NHL and Hockey are not mutually exclusive? People can fathom that Basketball is a big deal in Indiana even if the Pacers sometimes struggle with attendance. Also "Hockey towns" like Chicago and Pittsburgh have had much worse issues than the Bruins and The Twin Cities and Winnipeg have lost teams. I attended school in Upstate NY, the Hockey culture is pretty similar to Northern Massachusetts. In fact I'd say College Hockey isn't as important to them, but they have a few AHL teams up there, Cuse, Rochester, Utica, Binghamton and Albany.
Massachusetts is on par per capita with Michigan and above NYS.
If Hockey is niche in Boston it is irrelevant in about 90% of the US.
If you asked a person what offsides is in Hockey in North Station on a non game day I would bet a good majority would be correct, in places like Washington, Philly, Cincinnati or St Louis that's probably not true.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:28 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Eliminate Pittsburgh as an option

Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
My town Boise Idaho is football football football... I get so sick and tired of it. I want to move someplace where nobody gives a crap about football (college or pro), and the media doesn't obsess over it.
Any ideas?
Nowhere! This is America, everybody loves football!

lol jk, but seriously...they do...

Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How hard is it to understand that NHL and Hockey are not mutually exclusive? People can fathom that Basketball is a big deal in Indiana even if the Pacers sometimes struggle with attendance. Also "Hockey towns" like Chicago and Pittsburgh have had much worse issues than the Bruins and The Twin Cities and Winnipeg have lost teams. I attended school in Upstate NY, the Hockey culture is pretty similar to Northern Massachusetts. In fact I'd say College Hockey isn't as important to them, but they have a few AHL teams up there, Cuse, Rochester, Utica, Binghamton and Albany.
Massachusetts is on par per capita with Michigan and above NYS.
If Hockey is niche in Boston it is irrelevant in about 90% of the US.
If you asked a person what offsides is in Hockey in North Station on a non game day I would bet a good majority would be correct, in places like Washington, Philly, Cincinnati or St Louis that's probably not true.
Massachusetts is not on par per capita and their USA hockey enrollment has plateaued.

Wow, just wow. You're actually questioning Philadelphia fans' sports knowledge?

This is precisely why Boston is looked at for being so arrogant and full of themselves.

Flyers fans are way more knowledgeable about the game than Bruins fans I've met. Most Bruins fans I know just became fans. I have to literally explain the game to a co-worker "Bruin fan" as of 2012. That's what the Bruins fanbase is. People know what offsides is but could barely care enough to attend games at TD Garden for most of the 90's and 2000's, right?

Go ahead and walk around 30th Street Station asking what offsides is. I hope you get a nice Philadelphia welcome for it, having the audacity to even ask such a thing.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM

8 posts in..

Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - B's hit rock bottom - Brooklyn 4 BRUINS 0 F - HFBoards

HFBoards - View Single Post - Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - B's hit rock bottom - Brooklyn 4 BRUINS 0 F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.