Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Yet half the humpty-dome is Packer fans when the teams play there. NFL is by far the most popular team sport in America, but in the Twin Cities it's at a much-lower level than most NFL cities.
Packer fans are nuts, and will put up their children's college tuition to see them play if they have to. Packers fans take over most stadiums like that though, so I'm not sure why you're singling out the Vikings fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Packer fans are nuts, and will put up their children's college tuition to see them play if they have to. Packers fans take over most stadiums like that though, so I'm not sure why you're singling out the Vikings fan base.
Because they don't take over Soldier or even Ford (with, you could argue, the worst modern-era NFL team) to the same extent.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Albuquerque. There's no pro team in NM, and the UNM Lobos are an afterthought in a conference of afterthoughts. For those who follow the pros, it's split between the Cowboys and Denver, but the big deal here is UNM basketball.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:52 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Albuquerque. There's no pro team in NM, and the UNM Lobos are an afterthought in a conference of afterthoughts. For those who follow the pros, it's split between the Cowboys and Denver, but the big deal here is UNM basketball.
Agreed, but the HS football in NM (especially in the east and south by TX) is pretty much Texas-like.
But yeah, in NM it's HS and Lobo basketball. And add the Indian Reservation high schools and their terrific fast-paced "rez ball" into the mix and it gives my old Hoosier Hysteria (where I grew up) a run for its money around state tournament time. We do have the fun-to-watch 6 man and 8 man HS football out here in the tiny rural schools as well. But it's nothing like basketball season here.

And the pro game NFL fans here in NM are interesting. What's with Steeler nation in NM? More of them than almost anyone but Dallas and Denver. I'm 40 miles from AZ and there's more Steeler fans than Cardinal fans. Truly unexplainable. Winners maybe? Dad liked the 70's Steelers so it trickled down? Dunno.
And I am sure I'm the ONLY Browns fan out here. After living in Cleveland, this takes getting used to. Me in a sports bar cheering alone surrounded by Navajo Steeler fans, 2000 miles from the Steel City.
Surreal. But still pretty cool.

Last edited by kpl1228; 08-18-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 06:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post

And the pro game NFL fans here in NM are interesting. What's with Steeler nation in NM? More of them than almost anyone but Dallas and Denver. I'm 40 miles from AZ and there's more Steeler fans than Cardinal fans. Truly unexplainable. Winners maybe? Dad liked the 70's Steelers so it trickled down? Dunno.
And I am sure I'm the ONLY Browns fan out here. After living in Cleveland, this takes getting used to. Me in a sports bar cheering alone surrounded by Navajo Steeler fans, 2000 miles from the Steel City.
Surreal. But still pretty cool.
I know, right? The AZ Cardinals might as well not exist if their NM fan base is any indication. I'll root for your Browns if you'll root for my Crimson Tide (SEC fans in NM? Not so much!)

Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
I moved to Vegas 3 years ago and I never hear anything about sports at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
If you're not into football, there can be unexpected advantages to living in a football-crazy area. You ever wait in an interminable line at Ikea? I was at Ikea in Stoughton, Massachusetts, one day and noticed that by Ikea standards, it was practically empty. When it came time to check out, I walked right up to a cashier. "Where is everyone?" I asked. "There's a Patriots game going on," she said.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Move up to DENTON. Football there is an afterthought, if not forgotten entirely
I know this is an old post but, what are you smoking? Not only do we got plenty of COWBOYS fans we got plenty of MEAN GREEN fans up here. OSU is also pretty popular thanks to the proximity to Oklahoma.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 AM

182 posts, read 226,363 times
Don't want football....stay away from the South (especially Texas Florida and Louisiana). I'd also suggest stay away from the West ( especially Cali, Washington, Colorado....)

The Midwest and North east isn't as football crazed as the South and West is

Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
Don't want football....stay away from the South (especially Texas Florida and Louisiana). I'd also suggest stay away from the West ( especially Cali, Washington, Colorado....)

The Midwest and North east isn't as football crazed as the South and West is

Really? So are those Packers, Bears, Vikings, Colts, Lions, Steelers, Eagles, Redskins, Giants and Patriots and even Bills fans, just figments of an American imagination? That ain't even mentioning college football, which may not be big in New England and parts of the Mid-Atlantic but is still big in the Midwest.

If anything the west is less football crazy than states east of the Rockies.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 01-13-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.