Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
Thanks for the link. There seems to be a lot of analyst jobs out there. As long as they're not help desk, I'm interested.

I have some planning to do before making a trip anywhere. When I decide on a place to visit, what should I do once I get there? It may seem like a silly question, but I haven't really ... traveled before. If I'm looking to live in a new area, what should I look for? I was thinking I'd just pull out the GPS, put some places in, and just drive around, but there's got to be more to it than that.
Do a lot of research and ask a lot specific questions. Then go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Year-over-year job growth for information jobs in the Pittsburgh area has been decent in the last few months -- the weak sectors have been government, manufacturing, and education and health services -- but from what I've heard, the pay for IT jobs in the area lags. You'll probably take a pay cut if you find an IT job there, but the cost of living and taxes are lower, so that could compensate for it.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:32 PM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
Quote:
One thing I do know is that you just can't move somewhere without checking the place out first; it's just too risky. What should I do when visiting a new city? What else should I do to prepare for this trip? I'd also ask how to apply for work in another state, but I've seen topics about that already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I sort of disagree with this attitude.

Sure, it's a great idea to do some research. Line up where you're going to be staying, some basic information about the area, and some places (like parks, museums, restaurants, bars etc) that you'd like to see. Scout out places you'd potentially work at.

But life happens with a mind of its own. Don't micromanage every little detail about your trips or try to break down every aspect of a city without having even been there. Allow yourself the time to wander around and explore as much of it as you can. Staying flexible and keeping an open-mind is always a good idea, in my experiences.

At your age I'd recommend looking for a room on Craigslist. It's a little silly for you to buy a house in an area that you've never lived in, and when you're so young. Renting an apartment or house by yourself can get kind of lonely, especially if you aren't used to living alone and don't know anyone in your new city. Having roommates allows you to save money on rent, utilities, furniture, and it helps you meet new people and have different social circles than you would otherwise.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:40 PM

190 posts, read 276,128 times
I guess what I'm saying is don't over think things.

It's scary taking that first step and leaving "home" - going out on your own. The main thing is just doing it. You're young. I wouldn't move somewhere with the mentality of staying in a bubble as much as possible. Push yourself and go meet new people, experience new things, and see some of this world.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM

62 posts, read 80,486 times
Since you mentioned social skills, that's actually one reason I'm thinking of moving on.

I've had only a few friends in school. They've all pretty much moved up and moved on (out of Baltimore). I've had roommates in college, but I struggled living with them, so I commuted from home the rest of my time there. I never bothered going out here because all the people I've met seemed so aggressive. And I don't mean extroverted; I mean just plain aggressive. My step-family is also pretty aggressive, too. Since they live so close, they pretty much come over whenever they please, which I hate because there are a couple thieves among them, and mom keeps trusting them...

My social skills are pretty much shot.

When I find a new place to live, I plan on starting over. New people, new experiences. And I really don't mind living alone for right now.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:58 PM

271 posts, read 369,528 times
Quote:
Hello, everyone. I've been spending some time on this forum, and I've seen many people traveling and moving. I want to be one of those people.

It's not that Maryland is bad; it's just not for me, and I've been here all my life (I'm in my mid 20s). The cost of living is so high here, and it doesn't seem worth the price to me. Looking at other states, North Carolina seems like a nice place. My aunt lives in High Point, and she tells me to look for some jobs in the Raleigh area. Next month (I'm building up PTO hours, and going on vacation), I'd like to spend a three- or four-day weekend down there.

The thing is, I don't really travel much, not alone anyway. This would be my first solo multi-hour trip. I actually want to kill two birds with one stone; I'm looking for a new job, and I want my own place (still living with my mother, but we split the bills). I've also saved up some cash, or what little I could on this $34k salary.

One thing I do know is that you just can't move somewhere without checking the place out first; it's just too risky. What should I do when visiting a new city? What else should I do to prepare for this trip? I'd also ask how to apply for work in another state, but I've seen topics about that already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(About me: Mid 20's, male, single, introverted, prefer peace and quiet, don't care about night life, don't care about politics or religion, B. S. in Info Systems, two years worth of help desk experience, two-and-a-half decades worth of living in low-income, crime-ridden neighborhood, definitely looking for something else...)
You have a B.S, CIS and you working in a help desk and you make 34K a year – it is a terrible salary and a dead end job. What you should do is to look for a better job in IT and look for it everywhere. IT-consulting is pretty well paid. I had a few at my former work-place. They told me the young guys straight out college made 50K and after ten years they would be senior and make 75K. A friend of mine with a B.S, CIS works in a help desk at a government agency. Most of his work is just about carrying computers around and solve simple problems. He makes about 50K a year. It was the only job he could get after college and worked there for two years and started out with 46K a year. He is going to transfer soon into IT-consulting. That is actually what you should do – try to get a better job or else your degree have been worthless and waste of time.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
Have you considered the Pacific Northwest? I think it would fit your personality better, and there are lots of jobs in your field. Not the Pacific Northwesterners are anti-social, but they are much more about giving people their space. One of my best friends dreams of living there for that reason alone (it also helps that he enjoys what we SoCal call 'hoodie weather', basically in the 50's.) My friend is Latino and in Latino culture there is really no such thing as a personal bubble, and he wants to get away from that.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM

62 posts, read 80,486 times
To keep my knowledge at least up to speed, I have gotten A+ and Network+ certifications, and am working on Security+ (thankfully, the company compensates for them for professional development); but I do feel the degree, and the student loans, going to waste. I was told to look up "System Analyst", but some positions I found seemed similar to a help desk. I'll also look up "IT Consultant".

I always wanted to see the Pacific Northwest; it just seemed like a crazy distance away. I like driving, but that would definitely be a plane trip for now.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

271 posts, read 369,528 times
Quote:
To keep my knowledge at least up to speed, I have gotten A+ and Network+ certifications, and am working on Security+ (thankfully, the company compensates for them for professional development); but I do feel the degree, and the student loans, going to waste. I was told to look up "System Analyst", but some positions I found seemed similar to a help desk. I'll also look up "IT Consultant".

I always wanted to see the Pacific Northwest; it just seemed like a crazy distance away. I like driving, but that would definitely be a plane trip for now.
You may not be able to get a job at Google or any very well-paid development firm but IT-consulting is different because there are always corporations and government that don’t know anything about computers and hire expensive consults for doing the mostly very simple tasks. My former employer hired a guy from an IT-firm that worked in the help desk as an “extra-hand” - he was a recent graduate. He made like 45K a year just carrying computers around and fixed simple problems like installing Windows. You likely have to start in another help-desk on an IT-consulting firm but then you are “inside” and can climb and getting all the certificates.

As you may know there are plenty of people in the IT-sector with just high school diplomas and different certificates – so long things get done the IT-consulting firms are happy – because as a consultant you have to fix real problems and stay out of your customer’s way. I do now know where you work but you have to get out and up. Look into a better job in the entire country and when you get it – move. First job and then move – understand that you have a job. It may only be in a help-desk but it is a job and so it is easier for you to find a better one.

Why not look at jobs in California? I have traveled extensively (comparing to most Americans) but I can tell you that the most important is a job that can take your career further - and that is more important than traveling. No money no travel. A job that can you up in your career is even more important than salary – because in the world of “white color jobs” – there are always increases in salaries when you change jobs because previous experience – and by the way. Change jobs every second year or so and don’t climb until you land that position that is worth climbing on. You may make a bad salary but at least you sit in a help-desk and doing some remotely close to what you studied for. After I graduate from graduate school I was unemployed for two years and I have friends that after graduate school still drive cabs or working in retail making less than you.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:36 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I think Raliegh is a good choice because you will have an aunt nearby and there are a decent amount of tech jobs.

If/when you are comfortable being on your own you can consider moving farther afield. T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.