Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 14,206 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a single 29F looking to settle down, and I'm very interested in moving down south. I currently live in Cleveland, OH and I've traveled around a lot to CA, NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV, and I've lived in both Cleveland, OH and Louisville KY. I liked Louisville a lot, and I could see myself moving back there, but I'd like to move to a bigger city.

I'm a conservative republican, and I just don't think that Cleveland is doing it for me. Yes there are all types here, but I feel like people like me are so few and far between here. I'm always polite and respectful of people when they speak their mind about various political/social issues, but I just think that I would fit better down south somewhere.

I think Cleveland has a lot of great restaurants, and culture, and has one of the best medical communities in the country. But I just personally don't think that it's the right place to raise a family.

I'm not into the bar scene or partying or whatever. I love church, museums, orchestras, good restaurants- not chain (really one of the only things I do like about Cleveland). Sometimes it's nice to go out and grab a glass of wine somewhere on occasion.

I'm seriously considering a move to Dallas, TX..but are there any other cities in the south I should look at?

Job situation is not so much a factor. The job market in Cleveland sucks, as I'm sure it does in a lot of other cities, so I work from home and I'll keep the same job. Although, if I could move to a city where I could find a job outside the home that would be nice. It sure as heck isn't happening here though. I'm more concerned with surrounding myself with good people who share my values where I could become part of a good safe community that I can raise my children in.

Are there any other cities in the south I should look at?

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I'd really appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,369,156 times
Houston or Dallas. Job market, republican suburbs, and both great places to raise a family.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
I'd think the suburbs in particular of any sizable Southern metro area would fit your needs: Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, etc.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,100,025 times
Hah, you're seriously asking which cities in the South are good for Republicans?

It's a right-wing paradise literally everywhere in Dixieland. Pick a city with a good job market and you're done.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,348,583 times
Houston and Dallas are obvious picks. If you wanted a metro of similar size to Cleveland with a very good job market (and great medical field) and lots of outdoorsy things to do you can look into Nashville (I think it's nickname is the city of churches).

I'd say Atlanta or Charlotte too but those cities have rough job markets.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:47 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I'd say Atlanta or Charlotte too but those cities have rough job markets.
From the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear1209 View Post
Job situation is not so much a factor. The job market in Cleveland sucks, as I'm sure it does in a lot of other cities, so I work from home and I'll keep the same job.
If the job market was an important factor, I would definitely agree with you.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:15 PM

190 posts, read 276,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Hah, you're seriously asking which cities in the South are good for Republicans?

It's a right-wing paradise literally everywhere in Dixieland. Pick a city with a good job market and you're done.
This is a pretty big exaggeration. Most large cities in the South (which she's looking for) are all going to have a similar political mix as Cleveland. Just my experience, as a southerner who lived in Cleveland for a year.

Gun rights might be a bigger issue, yeah, but Cleveland felt extremely conservative to me. It ain't no San Fran. Especially if you're talking about the Westside suburbs all the way out to Lorain County. Parma, Berea, Westlake, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, Elyria etc... The Cleveland area is a little strange to an outsider, because there are what seems like hundreds of different towns/suburbs, just in Cuyahoga County, which is very different than most southern cities. Not that there aren't suburbs, but it's generally defined more clearly.

It's also ultra-segregated like many Midwestern cities. A lot of the people I met in Cleveland were very conservative in their social, religious, and political views - it surprised me coming from the South. They were also very warm & welcoming to me as an outsider. I enjoyed my time living there. The people are nice and the city has a lot of character, but the weather is way, way too cold for my bones. That said, most of the people I knew would be absolutely miserable living in a place like Atlanta, Houston or Charlotte.

It just depends on what exactly you're looking for. The weather is much nicer but living in a large Southern city like you're looking for is a very, very different experience than living in a Midwest one. That can be good or bad, but if you're looking for like-minded people... I don't know.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,348,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From the original post:

If the job market was an important factor, I would definitely agree with you.
Hehe. Sometimes I read the posts too quickly.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 14,206 times
That's so interesting Behan that you feel Cleveland is conservative and that the people are friendly. Where part of Cleveland did you stay at that you met people like that? lol. I feel like I have nothing in common with people I meet and that most of the people I meet are just down right rude. But you are right. Every city in Cleveland is so different from each other.

As far as the cities you mentioned, I would never buy a house in those areas and raise a family. I think lots of those places are run down and have bad school systems. Now when I say bad, i don't mean inner city don't even go there kind of bad. But to me, not being a top school system is bad. I don't want mediocre. I want the best. Those aren't the best. Plus a lot of the places on both the east side and west side are just plain decrepit in my opinion.

When I tell people here that I wanna move down south I do hear the typical "oh I could never! It's way too hot!" and I'm like, "Yeah I KNOW," I like the heat.

If I had to stay here I would stay in either Rocky River, Bay Village on the west side, or maybe Chagrin on the east side. I think I might just hit the road, and check out Nashville, and then make my way down, cross over to Dallas, and see what happens.

Thank you for your input!

Old 05-26-2014, 03:02 PM

9,476 posts, read 10,830,414 times
It seems that politics is a major driver for this move, and like others have said most anywhere south of the mason Dixon line will be "red state America". I think I read that Oklahoma is one of the most conservative states in America, so have you considered Oklahoma City??? I live in TN, and liberal viewpoints are few and far between here. Virginia and North Carolina have had their southern conservatism diluted by transplants from the ultra liberal northeast. Texas is in question because the political leanings of Hispanics is still up for grabs. They are being courted by both sides, and only time will tell if or when they will take up a political leaning as an ethnic group or not. Considering their numbers in Texas, they will decide that states political fate. Check the job market carefully, there are places down here that have economic problems, maybe not as severe as Ohio but problems exist none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.