Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:32 PM

268 posts, read 430,488 times

Advertisements

Moving is wonderful. It's great to experience different things. However, I'm deeply saddened by the number of people who have mentioned moving solely for political reasons.

I'm a liberal living in Arizona. Yes, it's frustrating sometimes. Yes, when I realized my Tea Party House. Rep. was part of the gov't shutdown, I felt very embarrassed.

However, I married someone who is right of center. Over the years we've been together, we're slowly learning how to talk about politics without strangling each other. Are we (Americans) really so intolerant of each other's differences that we can't live next to people with different views than us? Do we really need everyone around us homogenized in order to be happy?

Will today's children really be better off growing up in an insular environment where they take their parent's beliefs at face value because they've never been taught to think critically and develop their own, as happens when confronted with different ways of thinking?

This just makes me not only fear for the current state of our country, but also the future. We've got to learn how to get along and find common ground. Because when we take the heat out of the argument, all the end of the day, we're all just trying to do what we think is right.

**Off soapbox**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Key point is in bold.
If the person is looking for a conservative republican area, skip Dallas County altogether. Southern standards or not, the county is not republican. In fact, republicans have all but given up on trying to get Dallas County and especially the city of Dallas.

In reality, none of the actual large cities fit. Now the suburbs of all the cities do fit whether it's Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta (I only say these three because the person is looking for a larger city). Collin County would be great for the OP. In Houston, Montgomery would be a great decision as well. Fort Bend would have been good 15 years ago but now and in the future, forget about it. It's still slightly republican now but in 2020, it will probably around 50/50 with even a slight to the democratic side like Harris County.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,141,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear1209 View Post
I'd be open to Oklahoma City. I'm open to a lot of it. I'm like, should I live in this city or that city? Or how about that city over there? There's a lot more to this world than Cleveland, OH.

My move is based on political and religious reasons for the most part, but there's other reasons too. I guess it's more of that I wanna be around people like me who are the majority, and not split, or not some over here and some over there.

I just don't think I fit in here at all. I feel like most of the conversations I'm having I'm having to bite my tongue because there's no reason to get into an argument and I do not agree with the person I'm talking to at all. Especially when they sit there and talk about how God doesn't exist and whatever else. I don't sit there and bash what they believe. I accept them for whatever floats their boat, yet I have to sit there and have them tell me how I'm wrong for my beliefs. The people I know are the types to bash your opinions for a good 10 minutes and tell you why you're so wrong and it's just down right annoying. I try to do meetup groups, and go to different churches, and volunteer, but I just don't seem to be fitting in.

I just need a change. Being in hot weather, and around people who would be surprised if you didn't go to church, and who are overall friendly in demeanor, and don't complain about everything sounds like heaven to me.

I think there's way more out there that would fit me and her than where we're at right now.
That's a lot of criteria to find in one metro area. Maybe find a metro area that fits 2 of 3 of those criteria and the one criteria which is people based learn ways to let it not eat at you. I would suggest that whenever someone wants to discuss religion or politics right off the bat tell them that you don't discuss religion or politics because those subjects can get heated and emotional if your views differ. Also keep in mind in our human history truly spiritual people are in the minority and if your since of well being and happiness is based on that you will never be happy. People may call themselves religious or Christian but that is different then being truly spiritual in your living. When you are truly spiritual other people's beliefs and opinions does not rattle you because you have an inner peace. Never place your since of well being and happiness on peoples reactions to your spiritual life and activities because that is defeating the purpose of a spiritual life. Being spiritual means you can accept other peoples different views and viewpoints on life without it affecting you internally in a negative destructive way. There is nothing wrong in striving to find a place to live that have more opportunities that can enhance your enjoyment of your free time. I don't know if there is such a place where you can call the perfect place where you can enjoy the sophistication of city life such as a variety of a night time jazz scene with a warm winter climate yet the majority of people there sharing the same religious and political mindset as you. I imagine the cities with the best jazz scene would your big cities like NYC, LA or Chicago. If you feel your religious and political beliefs don't fit in Cleveland they definitely wouldn't fit in those 3 cities if you are intent of finding the Shangri-La of church attending political conservative mindset among most people you will encounter.

Last edited by Coseau; 06-15-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
I hope that the OP realizes that being conservative Republican in the North may not mean the same thing in many places in the South.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I hope that the OP realizes that being conservative Republican in the North may not mean the same thing in many places in the South.
So very true! My colleague had considered himself a conservative. Registered-Republican born and raised in SoCal, school in NorCal, work in Maryland. Then he moved to Jax ten years ago and quickly became appalled by the conservatives here (and I'm sure the feeling is reciprocal). By our measures, he's basically a liberal lol.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
A lot of truth to this, but I think he/she could find like minds in any city in the South no matter the brand of conservatism.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
No its pretty much the same, i've been to the south and the MN Conservatives are no different in their beliefs than southern conservatives.
just a myth northerners like to bring up to make the north look way more left wing than the south.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Although not the South, I suggest Phoenix, AZ--fiscally conservative yet tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude; no one cares what religion you are or if you're from "up North." Lots and lots of people here eat healthily, shop organically, work out, do yoga, hike, appreciate nature. Very clean as well as low crime for a major city with esp. safe suburbs. Spread out and easily navigable by car, so more accessible to small-town/city folks. Mild winters, lots of sunshine, no tornadoes/hurricanes/humidity, no mosquitoes. Beautiful Sonoran desert scenery abounds. Affordable COL, including reasonable home, insurance, gas, and food prices. Close to Flagstaff if you want cooler temps in summer and snow in the winter. Fantastic roads/freeways, great air service. Las Vegas, LA, and SD all within driving distance.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No its pretty much the same, i've been to the south and the MN Conservatives are no different in their beliefs than southern conservatives.
just a myth northerners like to bring up to make the north look way more left wing than the south.
I think Midwestern conservatism is another brand also. I think by the North, rnc2mbfl was referring to the Northeast and there's no doubt that that particular brand of conservatism can often the Rockefeller Republican type. Even fiscally, I think a lot of Northeastern conservatives are to the left of their Southern counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.