Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on brown vs. green landscapes?
I live in the West and love the brown scenery 18 17.65%
I live in the West and wish I could see more greenery 26 25.49%
I live in the East and love the greenery 47 46.08%
I live inthe East and wish I could see more brown 4 3.92%
I'm indifferent and it doesn't matter to me 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
Exactly. This thread would make more sense if it didn't just say "the west". Parts of Washington, Oregon, and Alaska are very very green. Probably the greenest part of the country.
That's why I said "most of the west is brown." And, I highly, highly doubt the pacific northwest is greener than the east coast. Just look at a satellite view of a map of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
I do not live in the desert, but I wish the people who did live in the desert could see more green. Does that count?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:40 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's why I said "most of the west is brown." And, I highly, highly doubt the pacific northwest is greener than the east coast. Just look at a satellite view of a map of America.
It is very green on the coasts. Not so much inland. Central Oregon is desert. But Portland and Seattle are VERY green with lots of trees. It is a forest and green year round.

And honestly, it is more beautiful than Midwest or east coast.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM

76 posts, read 139,795 times
Quote:
Well I'll lived most of my life in New England (and Nova Scotia) and it is extremely lush and verdant. No questions there. But I was thinking about the time I went to Alaska and everything just seemed so incredibly green (below the tree line at least). Then again it was raining pretty much constantly which seems to make the greens pop.

So I was basing this more on my personal experience, but out of curiosity I did look at a satellite view, and I think some areas west of the Cascades look darker green, if not more green than the east. This is probably due to more conifers and less deciduous trees.

Instead of rambling further, I'll say that maybe it isn't greener, but the area "behind the evergreen curtain" is at least as green as anywhere else in the country.

Regardless, I love how green it is here around Boston. Especially around this time of year when I realize how many massive trees there are everywhere, even in urban areas. I like visiting arid areas, but I prefer living in places with lush plant-life.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
Well I'll lived most of my life in New England (and Nova Scotia) and it is extremely lush and verdant. No questions there. But I was thinking about the time I went to Alaska and everything just seemed so incredibly green (below the tree line at least). Then again it was raining pretty much constantly which seems to make the greens pop.

So I was basing this more on my personal experience, but out of curiosity I did look at a satellite view, and I think some areas west of the Cascades look darker green, if not more green than the east. This is probably due to more conifers and less deciduous trees.

Instead of rambling further, I'll say that maybe it isn't greener, but the area "behind the evergreen curtain" is at least as green as anywhere else in the country.

Regardless, I love how green it is here around Boston. Especially around this time of year when I realize how many massive trees there are everywhere, even in urban areas. I like visiting arid areas, but I prefer living in places with lush plant-life.
The east coast is a lush, bright green. The pacific NW is a dark, drab green.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
But you haven't been to the Pacific NW yet have you? So then why are you speaking about areas to which you obviously know little to nothing about?

I lived in Seattle for 5 years, they got every shade of green imaginable. Try looking for bright green in the Northeast in say November or March. I'd also venture to say the greenery in Washington during spring time is a lot more impressive than Connecticut.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-17-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Quote:
Are you sure? I've never been to the PNW, but there must be some reason why they call Seattle the "Emerald City".

Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
But you haven't been to the Pacific NW yet have you? So then why are you speaking about areas to which you obviously know little to nothing about?

I lived in Seattle for 5 years, they got every shade of green imaginable. Try looking for bright green in the Northeast in say November or March. I'd also venture to say the greenery in Washington during spring time is a lot more impressive than Connecticut.
I haven't been there yet, no. For now, I'm judging based on pictures and Google Street view, and the fact that deciduous green is a more lush, vibrant green than the coniferous green in the Pacific NW. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my perception at this moment in time.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
An overwhelming majority of Arabic poetry is about green and watered places. Nearly every Islamic country has green on its flag.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
I haven't been there yet, no. For now, I'm judging based on pictures and Google Street view, and the fact that deciduous green is a more lush, vibrant green than the coniferous green in the Pacific NW. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my perception at this moment in time.
The Seattle area actually has deciduous tree species that you don't commonly see back east such as poplar and madrona trees. There are plenty of neighborhoods in Seattle with deciduous tree canopies and mixed conifers too. Though some of the conifers like cedars have a brighter shade of green. There are so many shades of green all over, and in different ways that you don't see back east which is what makes it interesting. That and Seattle has a lot more year round greenery to look at than the Northeast. Even the grass is green year round in Seattle and the deciduous trees have their leaves on them for longer than New England. Go out and visit the Northwest before you judge. Having grown up in New England myself, I found it a very compatible area to move to at the time.

As to your originally posted question about the desert and here in Albuquerque, I'm more like your cousin. I like the bigger skies, endless horizons, and golden light of the desert. It really brightens my outlook in a lot of ways. The neighborhood I live in is also irrigated and has grass and mature trees. I absolutely love all the natural superlatives and variety of landscapes and climates in the West. But when I moved this last time, I was seeking somewhere totally different rather than duplicating what I already had in New England. But if that's your intention while still considering moving out West, Pacific Northwest is really your best option. But you have to be more open minded to what's different otherwise you shouldn't move at all.

So nep, why are you considering a move out West? I figured you were pretty set in your Eastern ways, and that still shows in some of your posts in this thread.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-17-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.