Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on brown vs. green landscapes?
I live in the West and love the brown scenery 18 17.65%
I live in the West and wish I could see more greenery 26 25.49%
I live in the East and love the greenery 47 46.08%
I live inthe East and wish I could see more brown 4 3.92%
I'm indifferent and it doesn't matter to me 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
One thing I have heard from people in the Southwest is that they feel almost claustrophobic when they're in a heavily wooded area (like central NC). They're generally used to being able to look out on the horizon and see for a few miles - it's much more wide open - which is rarely the case here.

Just two different sides of the coin. The Southwest is beautiful in its own way. I have different concerns about living there than the scenery.
I kind of understand that. When I lived in Arizona, the wide open spaces made me feel psychologically different--like I was much more open, too.

The lack of rain sometimes would get to you and lack of green, but you just adjust. You can always take a yearly trip somewhere green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
My husband hates the desert look and would never want to live there. He feels it's all dead and depressing looking. He loves greenery. I however thought it was beautiful still though living there I may miss the greenery we have now. It's all personal preference. We wouldn't give up the climate we have now though for anything else.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 PM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
I only can speak on the Phoenix metro and most of us relocated from a ' green place ' . And personally I enjoy seeing palm trees and mountains with big beautiful cloudless blue skies then I ever did looking at ' green '.
In addition, a very common myth is Phoenix metro is all brown. All one has to do is Google Earth to totally dispell that outdated myth.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM

473 posts, read 521,260 times
For seasonal allergy sufferers, the East Coast greenery is pretty much torture.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 PM

251 posts, read 168,926 times
I'm living in lost wages neveda,
and I want to pass a law that all visitors
"Must" arrive tree in hand otherwise you cant
depart your fleight.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 PM

231 posts, read 226,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I haven't been there yet, no. For now, I'm judging based on pictures and Google Street view, and the fact that deciduous green is a more lush, vibrant green than the coniferous green in the Pacific NW. Of course, I could be wrong, but that's my perception at this moment in time.

This is pretty accurate.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 PM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
I only can speak on the Phoenix metro and most of us relocated from a ' green place ' . And personally I enjoy seeing palm trees and mountains with big beautiful cloudless blue skies then I ever did looking at ' green '.
In addition, a very common myth is Phoenix metro is all brown. All one has to do is Google Earth to totally dispell that outdated myth.
It isn't so much a myth as it is relativity. It is true that Phoenix has quite a bit of vegetative cover, but, let's be real, it is nothing like anywhere east of the Rockies. Nowhere in AZ, except the high sky mountains, has any sort of greenery touching the East whatsoever.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:17 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
San Diego seems very green compared to the desert SW and you stated that its not than nice as in the Northeast. I like the mountains, the desert landscaping and the palm trees. Although it is nice to see a nice big green tree, I don't mind the dry brown color and saying this having lived in the Chicagoland area which gets very green.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
San Diego seems very green compared to the desert SW and you stated that its not than nice as in the Northeast. I like the mountains, the desert landscaping and the palm trees. Although it is nice to see a nice big green tree, I don't mind the dry brown color and saying this having lived in the Chicagoland area which gets very green.
Same here, I grew up in New York, and I find the same green forests and swamps to be boring, I actually prefer the creoste, chaparral and palm trees, and mountains out here and in California

Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
One thing I have heard from people in the Southwest is that they feel almost claustrophobic when they're in a heavily wooded area (like central NC). They're generally used to being able to look out on the horizon and see for a few miles - it's much more wide open - which is rarely the case here.

Just two different sides of the coin. The Southwest is beautiful in its own way. I have different concerns about living there than the scenery.
I've heard this too. Folks say they feel like a rat in a maze driving on these roads completely closed up by trees on either side of you, not being able to see other crossroads in the distance. An interesting perception. I drove to Arkansas last weekend and definitely understood. Wide and open, could see very far. Tree lines were there but very distant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.