Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM

190 posts, read 276,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You've met white DC (actual city) natives?

I guess I should say that Boston, NYC and Philly are an anomoly in this country with Catholics and Jews making up the majority of the white population-while DC is much more similar to the South and the rest of the country-with Protestant and non-ethnic whites making up the majority of the population.

Baltimore is much more similar to Boston/NYC/Philly in this regard than DC is and along with Baltimore's Industrial past, it seems more Northern. But it is kind of a pointless question-both cities are a mixture of Northern and Southern influences.
Plenty of them. They do exist

All of them had fairly neutral accents. Some used DC specific slang (which I associate more with the native black population, generally). None of them were very religious. "You guys" was more common than "y'all". They had faster speech patterns than most areas in the South. A few of them had never had a license in their life - which is practically impossible to find in the South. They were all fairly liberal in beliefs and behavior.

These were all people in their 20's, so maybe the older generation is somewhat different? I met a few of their parents though (also native to DC) and they all sounded and acted the same.

I agree the question is a little silly but I am interested in hearing people's opinions. D.C. seems more of an expensive place to live, with a faster pace of life/more rat race prone, and more crowded. I'm not a fan of the city myself but I can see why some would like it - I just don't see how someone from Georgia could say they feel right at home there. It is drastically different from any city in the South (same as Baltimore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM

I should add that my father grew up in Bowie. His parents were from Baltimore and his family has more Maryland characteristics maybe because of it. I was born & raised in NC and I consider that side of my family to be Mid-Atlantic, not Southern by any stretch. And that's neither good or bad in my book. Just how it is.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post

All of them had fairly neutral accents. Some used DC specific slang (which I associate more with the native black population, generally). None of them were very religious. "You guys" was more common than "y'all". They had faster speech patterns than most areas in the South. A few of them had never had a license in their life - which is practically impossible to find in the South. They were all fairly liberal in beliefs and behavior.

These were all people in their 20's, so maybe the older generation is somewhat different? I met a few of their parents though (also native to DC) and they all sounded and acted the same.

I agree the question is a little silly but I am interested in hearing people's opinions. D.C. seems more of an expensive place to live, with a faster pace of life/more rat race prone, and more crowded. I'm not a fan of the city myself but I can see why some would like it - I just don't see how someone from Georgia could say they feel right at home there. It is drastically different from any city in the South (same as Baltimore).
Haha yeah-my two older brothers were actually born and lived in DC as my parents lived there from like '77-'83 but it is rare to find white people from DC (although that is certainly changing). And yes, you make some good points although I could probably find some similarities between DC and Atlanta (but more between DC and Philly). DC looks and pretty much functions like a Northeastern city-I was just speaking on how the white and hispanic demographics are a little different.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Someone from the south that knows both cities will have to answer this. I would say DC because whenever my folks from GA would come up they say they feel right at home at times.
Maryland/DC is in the South despite opossing opinions of ignorant narrow minded people.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,176 times
Quote:
I should add that my father grew up in Bowie. His parents were from Baltimore and his family has more Maryland characteristics maybe because of it. I was born & raised in NC and I consider that side of my family to be Mid-Atlantic, not Southern by any stretch. And that's neither good or bad in my book. Just how it is.
Whether you like it or not, Maryland/DC is in the south.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Whether you like it or not, Maryland/DC is in the south.
Unlike many people, I don't think there's anything positive or negative about being from the South (or North, or West). I'm completely neutral.

I see you beating this horse a lot but you never seem to explain why. Instead of repeating the same thing or going off of archaic definitions - how is the DMV remotely similar to other parts of the South?

Where in the South have you spent time that made you come to this conclusion? Why are you so convinced when everyone else in the South seems to disagree with you?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:39 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
There aren't "plenty" of them. Only about 11% of non-Hispanic Whites living in DC were born there (and most of those are undoubtedly children) compared to the 68% of Blacks that were born there. For the most part, it's extremely rare to come across a white person raised in DC.

A white person who is native to the District of Columbia almost certainly grew up west of RCP (perhaps Capitol Hill) and attended private school (or in rarer cases, Wilson). Many of the white kids attending Wilson are the children of diplomats and foreign service officers.

Benjamin Banneker, a magnet school near Howard, had zero white students in the Class of 2013 and 2014. Even a school like Hardy, which is entrenched in a white upper middle class ghetto called Georgetown, is majority black.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There aren't "plenty" of them. Only about 11% of non-Hispanic Whites living in DC were born there compared to the 68% of Blacks that were born there. For the most part, it's extremely rare to come across a white person raised in DC.

A white person who is native to the District of Columbia almost certainly grew up west of RCP (perhaps Capitol Hill) and attended private school (or in rarer cases, Wilson). Many of the white kids attending Wilson are the children of diplomats and foreign service officers.

Benjamin Banneker, a magnet school near Howard, had zero white students in the Class of 2013 and 2014. Even a school like Hardy, which is entrenched in a white upper middle class ghetto called Georgetown, is majority black.
Sorry - I said I met plenty of them. Not that there are plenty of them

One of my roommates was from DC (and he went to Wilson "home of Wale "), and it seemed like every other white kid from the city went to college in New Orleans, so I met a good number of them. The only other school besides Wilson was the Arts School that I know a few attended - although I understand it was also heavily black. They were all from NW as I understood it and seemed to be well off.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
I live in Baltimore, and love it more than DC....that being said? Baltimore hands down!!! I base that on the high number of "tumble weaves" and country demeanor of service workers in my city. DC is more metropolitan and international.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:36 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
When you all say Southern, what type of Southern do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.