Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
It's an annex of the North.
It's define Pure Southern Ignorance/Arrogance to deny the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State which further proves why most parts of the South do not get much respect from other regions of the US Nation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM

68 posts, read 109,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Right because Baltimore has more of a Southern draw than DC due to having more transplants moving to DC than Baltimore.
I never thought someone would be trying to argue that Baltimore has a southern draw lol

Old 06-24-2014, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 109,561 times
DC to me feels more southern even though it's much denser and faster. Has a much more urban feel, yet retains some of the characteristics you'd see in Atlanta perhaps. Bmore to me feels like a smaller version of Philly, which is a prototypical NE city.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Can you please stop trying to claim Maryland as a Southern State? Maryland has always been a Northern State since its founding. Geographically, physically, politically, culturally, etc. northern. Even the northern border is on the same line as Indianapolis, IN, Dayton, OH, Wilmington, DE and Atlantic City, NJ. Why do you think the North should end at Pennsylvania's southern border/Delaware's western border and the South starts at Maryland's northern border?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I'm starting to think that had DC never lost its ethnic European population, its ethnic white population probably would be more similar to Chicago, St. Louis, or Cleveland than say Boston or Philly.
I doubt it. Chicago, St. Louis and Cleveland were all industrial centers. Even today their white populations on a metro level have a different composition from DC's.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
DC is south of Baltimore but they're both neutral to the North and South really.

Another words, they can't be claimed based on North and South, because they're both
in that gray area in this day and time.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM

260 posts, read 299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Regardless of fast pace or not both cites are southern states.
I have been all over the south. DC and Bmore are not southern period in any way shape or form. Cities like Columbia,Charlotte,Atlanta,Montgomery,Jackson,Bilo xi,Greenville,Raleigh,Jacksonville, are "Southern". Can you please explain your rationale?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:52 PM

76 posts, read 139,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Can you please stop trying to claim Maryland as a Southern State? Maryland has always been a Northern State since its founding. Geographically, physically, politically, culturally, etc. northern. Even the northern border is on the same line as Indianapolis, IN, Dayton, OH, Wilmington, DE and Atlantic City, NJ. Why do you think the North should end at Pennsylvania's southern border/Delaware's western border and the South starts at Maryland's northern border?
Well, that is just factually inaccurate. You can argue that Maryland feels "northern" now, but can't argue that it has "always been a Northern State since its founding".

It was a Southern colony along with Virginia, separated from New England by Dutch territory that became the Mid-Atlantic colonies. Maryland was historically tied to the South culturally even after independence. It was a slave state much longer than states to the North, and was still a slave state at the time of the civil war, although about half the black population was freed.

Geographically? It's south of the traditional north and "middle", so that'd be south. It is slightly north of the mid-point of the country in 1776, but that hardly matters.

Physically? Is this different than geographically?

Politically? Since it's founding it's politics have changed. For hundreds of years, Maryland was more politically aligned with the South. During the civil war, Maryland stayed loyal to the Union but the population was very divided in their loyalties.

Culturally? Again, it has changed. But for a long long time there was no question that it was culturally Southern. Since industrialization and the civil war, Maryland has adopted elements of "Northern culture", but it was still a mixed-bag. Baltimore had (and has) similarities to northern cities due to it's industry, but rural Maryland had (and I'd say has) more similarities to the south.

I'm sorry if I am being aggressive, but it's one thing to debate what region a state is in today, it's another to say an absolute falsehood like the bolded sentence. And if you are really unaware why he suggests the southern border of PA and western border of DE as the north/south border, look up the Mason-Dixon line. I don't necessarily think it's the most important border today, but it's not as if he made it up.

The fact is, the North/South divide is a gradient. As a Bostonian, I even see aspects of Philadelphia (which we all agree is "northern") that strike me as Southern. In regards to the OP, I have limited experience in Baltimore but DC definitely feels a mixed bag to me. I spent time in black neighborhoods in NE, and mostly white suburbs in MoCo, and I feel the former was more 'southern' as there were less transplants.

Last edited by Woodchucker; 06-26-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,938 times
This is like saying which is more northern Dallas or Memphis?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times
How is it like saying that when both of these cities started out as southern cities and still to this day have subtle southern traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.