Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM

172 posts, read 255,599 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I am a young, married woman looking to relocate from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to somewhere with better/cooler weather. I have also previously lived in Birmingham, Alabama and St.Louis, Missouri. I am tired of the weather here in Louisiana, where it is 90+ with 90% humidity May-September. I actually have a heart/blood pressure condition called mitral valve prolapse and dysautonomia that causes me to dehydrate and overheat easily, so I really need to move somewhere I won't be sick all the time. My husband is a painter and has also done forklift and fishing work before. I work in insurance as a claims adjuster and currently work from home since I am too sick from the heat to head to the office.

What U.S. cities have cool/mild summers with winters not much below 20 degrees and are fairly affordable? I was thinking about the pacific northwest, such as Seattle or Portland, for cooler weather but I am certainly open to other suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,031,459 times
The northwest would be my suggestion. Can't think of a better match for your needs. Can you transfer with your current employer to an office in Seattle or Portland?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,026,507 times
San Diego has the closest to perfect weather in the continental USA.

its not that expensive (but it may seem soto someone moving from the South or Midwest)

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I work for a small insurance company that is only based in the Southeast, so my job could not be transferred. San Diego would be nice and close to my husband's family in Tijuana. I could probably only afford San Diego/San Fransisco if I can somehow manage to get a high paying job though.

Also, my family lives in Alabama and Louisiana so any east coast suggestions would be good too. Although I know humidity is typically high even in the northeast so I may just have to live far away

Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,066,922 times
In the Pacific NW you'd be trading humidity in the air for humidity in the form of rain. Rather relentless rain.

You could look at Central Coast California.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 PM

135 posts, read 179,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
San Diego has the closest to perfect weather in the continental USA.

its not that expensive (but it may seem soto someone moving from the South or Midwest)
What?

San Diego is one of the most expensive places to live in America.

http://www.nhc.org/media/files/Ranki...rship_2013.pdf

Can't really argue about the weather, though. Anywhere in coastal Southern California would be ideal for the OP.....

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,324,280 times
What about Salt Lake City or Denver? They do have colder winters, but because of the elevation they have low humidity and relatively cool summers, plus not as much rain as the Pacific Northwest. I'm not really sure how affordable they are, but my guess is that SLC would be more affordable than Denver.

I'm afraid that to totally avoid high humidity you are probably going to have to leave the eastern U.S. I live in Michigan, and even this far "west" it gets very humid in the summers, as do other states even further west, such as Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri.

I am also very close to my family and they all live relatively nearby, but if I needed to move to not feel miserable, I would definitely do it. Life is too short and it sounds like you really need to get away from the heat and humidity!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Denver's summers can be hot, but they're short. It often snows in both October and May, almost always at least one of those months. Winter is not *too* bad, fewer cold days and snow than you'd think. Sunny.
Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics

You could also consider Salt Lake City and Boise.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,289,849 times
Santa Fe, New Mexico

However, you mentioned your company is only in the SE,
then I would say Asheville might be your best bet,
higher elevation in the mountains = a bit cooler, maybe less humid too.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I would REALLY love to move to Denver, but I ran it by my cardiologist and he said elevation actually makes my condition worse, so that rules out any mountain towns I'm thinking maybe Tacoma,WA might be a good option since it is close to Seattle and is a bit cheaper. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.