Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 AM

709 posts, read 1,767,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
well from what i am seeing on the CDF posts, there is no crime in urban america, only a vicous conspiracy by the media to make those communities look bad by falsely accusing the inhabitants of things they never do. AA communities have no crime only KKK media barons attacking them.
denial is not a river in egypt its a river in memphis and new orleans.
Speaking of the media, I remember when Chris Rock said this in one of his stand up acts.

"You think I've got 3 guns in my house cause the media is outside ? When I go to the ATM machine tonight I ain't looking over my back for the media, I'm looking for n.i.g.g.a.s"

Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,846 times
Default Do your research

Obviously you dont know what your talking about the murder rate is crazy in Atlanta and it was just named by time magazine as the drug capital of the U.S dummy!

Atlanta is the only city I can think of. Sure, Atlanta has rough spots, but truthfully they don't compare to most other major U.S. cities and even some smaller ones, like Birmingham, Memphis, and New Orleans. I know for a fact those three cities have crime rates that make the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta look like a country club.

Atlanta has a lot of wealth and prosperity, both in the inner city and in the suburbs, and it transcends race. Those other three cities have pockets of prosperity for blacks, but for the most part, blacks in those cities, like blacks in most major U.S. cities, live either in working class or downright poor neighborhoods. Contrary to popular belief, even amongst Atlantians, poor black neighborhoods are disappearing in Atlanta. There IS a slight trickle down effect taking place there. I know I've dogged out Atlanta before in the past, but truthfully it does do a lot of things right. Economic prosperity is one of those things. What the people and the leaders there do with all of that money generally is what's wrong with it, but I digress. That's an entirely different issue altogether.

Atlanta, like New York, is a lot more bark than bite. Two reasons - 1) at one point, Atlanta actually WAS the murder capital of America. This was back in the early to mid 1970s. Those days are long gone. 2) rap. I hate to say it, but there's so much rap out there now from Atlanta that talks about gangbanging and selling drugs, it gives you the impression that Atlanta is the cocaine dealing capital of the world. It's not. Sure drugs go in and out of the city but seriously - the city's not nearly as bad as what many tend to think it is. Many cities fare much worse.

_[/quote]

Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,846 times
Default Do your research,everything you say contradicts facts dummy!

Atlanta was jus ranked number 2 on the FBIs worst cities list and also ranked the us drug capital, do research before you speak!You must not be from Atlanta or live in the suburbs somewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
New York is only 27% black. It is by no means predomiantly black or predominantly anything. It's way too diverse for one group to dominate.

Atlanta is the only city I can think of. Sure, Atlanta has rough spots, but truthfully they don't compare to most other major U.S. cities and even some smaller ones, like Birmingham, Memphis, and New Orleans. I know for a fact those three cities have crime rates that make the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta look like a country club.

Atlanta has a lot of wealth and prosperity, both in the inner city and in the suburbs, and it transcends race. Those other three cities have pockets of prosperity for blacks, but for the most part, blacks in those cities, like blacks in most major U.S. cities, live either in working class or downright poor neighborhoods. Contrary to popular belief, even amongst Atlantians, poor black neighborhoods are disappearing in Atlanta. There IS a slight trickle down effect taking place there. I know I've dogged out Atlanta before in the past, but truthfully it does do a lot of things right. Economic prosperity is one of those things. What the people and the leaders there do with all of that money generally is what's wrong with it, but I digress. That's an entirely different issue altogether.

Atlanta, like New York, is a lot more bark than bite. Two reasons - 1) at one point, Atlanta actually WAS the murder capital of America. This was back in the early to mid 1970s. Those days are long gone. 2) rap. I hate to say it, but there's so much rap out there now from Atlanta that talks about gangbanging and selling drugs, it gives you the impression that Atlanta is the cocaine dealing capital of the world. It's not. Sure drugs go in and out of the city but seriously - the city's not nearly as bad as what many tend to think it is. Many cities fare much worse.

_

Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Majority black cities with over 100,000 do seem to be crime-ridden without exception. Portsmouth, Virginia has the lowest overall crime rate of those I've found, but it is on the list of 101 most murderous cities. It is below the predominately white Elkhart, Indiana but well above Fort Smith, Arkansas. (I'd listed Fort Smith as the most murderous town to be 70%+ white) The "Congressional Quarterly Press '2008 City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America" places Portsmouth as the 217th most dangerous city larger than 75,000.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlimATL View Post
Obviously you dont know what your talking about the murder rate is crazy in Atlanta and it was just named by time magazine as the drug capital of the U.S dummy!

_
[/quote]

I have to disagree with you, in the 1970s through the 80's. The Bronx NYC was the murder capital. Do your research.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Atlanta is not the worst. Actually, last year, Atlanta recorded 85 murders. That is actually lower than normal. In a normal year, Atlanta gets about 110-130 murders per year. The crime has come down significantly. With that said, Atlanta is still a relatively dangerous city.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:09 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
My post will be controversial, but here goes. Please try not to be offended, white, black or other.

In the simplest terms, due to the mental domination and colonialization imposed by white conquerors (wether by colonialism, slavery or outright genocide) over the last 600 years or so, there has developed a high correlation between self-hatred and darkness of skin. Basically our subconsciousness has been filtered (through history, through capitalism, materialism of the western world, through images of beauty, etc) in such a way that we tend to look at our own worth through the eyes of lighter skinned people. Its something a white person could never really understand, because they already see the world through their 'own eyes', so to speak. Their history is their own imposed on us, their culture has been introduced to us and become dominant.

Ill break it down like this, darker people tend (remember this is a tendency not a generalization of ALL peoples) to value their own lives, their own communities less than lighter skinned people do. And Im honestly saying this as a brown skinned (darker than white, lighter than black) person who thinks I see both sides better than some. I see it in my own country in SE asia (where color even within family members plays a social role!), I see it in the US (where darker people are confined to slums, less sympathy for plight, have higher murder rates etc, more often than white counterparts), and Ive seen it in other countries Ive travelled to. Darker people do not value themselves and other dark people as highly as they do white people. White people also do the same towards their darker brothers, often subconsciously also. It creates a neverending cycle of self hate and its a problem of the subconscious. We all filter our own images of ourselves through 'white lenses', and as a result devalue our own importance and self worth. The result is higher crime rates among the darker peoples, because of this self imposed hate. Why do blacks constantly compare themselves to whites? Why do asians try to be like whites? Whites do not do this.

Many will not believe or understand me, especially if you are white. Some whites will get it if they have spent enough time in other countries or around black and brown people. Some black or brown people will disagree with me too. But if you really analyze it, I believe this is the fairest explanation one can conclude, and it truly is there.

I hate to say it like this, because I hate it and despise the self destructive tendencies of any people, particularly of my darker brothers all over the world, but this is the simplest I can break it down. Take it how you want.
I never thought about it that deeply, but you present a good point. One of the effects of colonialism and slavery is the psychological effects that get passed down from generation to generation. This kind of abuse can lead to a behavior of self-hate and self-destruction. What I believe should be done is to say "The buck stops here. This is what was done to us. These are the effects it had on us. Now we must reverse this" and to take that to heart.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
My post will be controversial, but here goes. Please try not to be offended, white, black or other.

In the simplest terms, due to the mental domination and colonialization imposed by white conquerors (wether by colonialism, slavery or outright genocide) over the last 600 years or so, there has developed a high correlation between self-hatred and darkness of skin. Basically our subconsciousness has been filtered (through history, through capitalism, materialism of the western world, through images of beauty, etc) in such a way that we tend to look at our own worth through the eyes of lighter skinned people. Its something a white person could never really understand, because they already see the world through their 'own eyes', so to speak. Their history is their own imposed on us, their culture has been introduced to us and become dominant.

Ill break it down like this, darker people tend (remember this is a tendency not a generalization of ALL peoples) to value their own lives, their own communities less than lighter skinned people do. And Im honestly saying this as a brown skinned (darker than white, lighter than black) person who thinks I see both sides better than some. I see it in my own country in SE asia (where color even within family members plays a social role!), I see it in the US (where darker people are confined to slums, less sympathy for plight, have higher murder rates etc, more often than white counterparts), and Ive seen it in other countries Ive travelled to. Darker people do not value themselves and other dark people as highly as they do white people. White people also do the same towards their darker brothers, often subconsciously also. It creates a neverending cycle of self hate and its a problem of the subconscious. We all filter our own images of ourselves through 'white lenses', and as a result devalue our own importance and self worth. The result is higher crime rates among the darker peoples, because of this self imposed hate. Why do blacks constantly compare themselves to whites? Why do asians try to be like whites? Whites do not do this.

Many will not believe or understand me, especially if you are white. Some whites will get it if they have spent enough time in other countries or around black and brown people. Some black or brown people will disagree with me too. But if you really analyze it, I believe this is the fairest explanation one can conclude, and it truly is there.

I hate to say it like this, because I hate it and despise the self destructive tendencies of any people, particularly of my darker brothers all over the world, but this is the simplest I can break it down. Take it how you want.
A very, very brutally honest post! I had to rep you.

People don't think about things the way you just posted, especially the psychological and the how people are viewed through a certain cultural basis, even on a global scale.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
Spencer, Oklahoma was 51.8% black in 2000.
Pop. 3,995

Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Richton Park IL is at or usually below average in terms of crime rate: //www.city-data.com/city/Richto...-Illinois.html

Same with Olympia Fields IL: //www.city-data.com/city/Olympi...-Illinois.html

as well as Park Forest IL: //www.city-data.com/city/Park-Forest-Illinois.html

South Holland IL: //www.city-data.com/city/South-...-Illinois.html

University Park IL: //www.city-data.com/city/Univer...-Illinois.html

Chesilhurst NJ: //www.city-data.com/city/Chesil...ew-Jersey.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.