Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

There's a thread that's been going on for a while that's basically asking posters to share where they feel the is the northern-most frontier of the southern accent. Most of the responses have been from northernness who claim they feel they have entered the land of Dixie twang in states such such as Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and even NY on the east coast and Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio in the midwest.

If anyone feels like arguing with those views, please go over to that thread. In this thread, I'd like to hear from those sons and daughters of the South. Let's say you have traveled up north via routes 95, 75, 55 or 35. At what point did you get out of the car to gas up or head into a burger joint for a quick bite to eat and think "Gosh, these folks sure sound like Yankees."

I look forward to hearing about your experiences. And please have fun with the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
Not a native Southerner, but it seems the transition zone between Southern and non-Southern accents lies somewhere within 100 miles each way of the Ohio River. Basically, you'll hear both types of accents in southern Missouri, northwestern Arkansas, southern Illinois, northern Kentucky, etc. You'll also get a lot of folks that say "warsh" in those areas (both accents), too.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,958,476 times
As a native SC (parents and family originally from NYC) so we go up north often.....but normally I hear a southern accent in Richmond and it dies down when we get to the DMV area......this is my experience on 95....

Old 07-28-2014, 06:24 PM

233 posts, read 374,198 times
As far as the Central Midwest goes, many residents of St. Louis have a Northern type of accent .. so start there and smear North and East - then west once you hit Northern Nebraska and the Dakotas.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
There are TONS of people living in the South who have "northern" accents or no accents at all. So what you're asking is really impossible to answer. There are no absolutes. There are no definitive lines marking north vs south accents, culture or anything else.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are TONS of people living in the South who have "northern" accents or no accents at all. So what you're asking is really impossible to answer. There are no absolutes. There are no definitive lines marking north vs south accents, culture or anything else.
While I agree with some of what you say, I can tell you from my experience, I have noticed when I've crossed into an area where the accents become more distinctly northern or southern. Hence the premise of the thread. If you don't have that experience, then of course, it's impossible for you to answer. No harm, no foul.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
While I agree with some of what you say, I can tell you from my experience, I have noticed when I've crossed into an area where the accents become more distinctly northern or southern. Hence the premise of the thread. If you don't have that experience, then of course, it's impossible for you to answer. No harm, no foul.
I was in a bar here in Savannah tonight, with people from NYC and Toronto and a few other places, including Tennessee, as well as several locals, and NOBODY had a discernible accent. So yeah ... right ... whatever.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:40 AM

320 posts, read 578,442 times
Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia and South Carolina.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Not a native Southerner, but it seems the transition zone between Southern and non-Southern accents lies somewhere within 100 miles each way of the Ohio River. Basically, you'll hear both types of accents in southern Missouri, northwestern Arkansas, southern Illinois, northern Kentucky, etc. You'll also get a lot of folks that say "warsh" in those areas (both accents), too.
Interesting to get your perspective. I feel quite number of those who identify themselves as northerners in the other thread also identified this area as a transition zone into more southern sounding accents. It's interesting to note that at least one person (you) sees it as true in the opposite direction as a trasiniton zone into more northern sounding accents. Two sides of the same coin!

While there may be other views on the midwest/upper south "accent boundary" that differ from yours, I note more discrepancy in views as to where the the northeast/southeast "accent boundary" lies.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Somewhere north of Oak Ridge, Tenn.

Howdy, y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.