Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Martha View Post
Have things ever been that terrible for gays? You'd think they used to be slaves, victims of segregation, couldn't vote, couldn't eat in straight restaurants, lynched, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

There is a reason why they always try to piggyback on what happened to black people back in the day. If their rights were being violated left and right, they wouldn't need to talk about the black civil rights era all the time. Their subjugation would stand on its own. It would be self evident to everybody.
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that only groups who went through the exact same experiences can find common ground between struggles? By that token, there is not a single group of people who ever faced significant discrimination except black people. Not gays, not Hispanics, not immigrants and certainly not women. Like it or not, people find similarities because there is a common thread: discrimination based on an immutable characteristic. That does not actually degrade the struggles of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Oh please, Mary ... give it a rest. But thanks for trying to psycho analyze me!

As I said before, you know nothing about me or my life experience. All people are different, including all gay people. Trying to paint us all with the same broad brush -- especially a "straight" one -- is pointless and futile.
Being different has nothing to do with this. The links you offered are painfully obvious. You think you're the first gay person to say this stuff? Get in line, it's all been done before, and it doesn't take a degree in psychology to read between the lines.

No one is forcing you to get married or even to support it, but your position is the height of intellectual dishonesty at best.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
My point is a lot of Democrats push hard for a victimhood status for gays that doesn't exist. Many black people do not agree with gay marriage, and they don't like that comparison either. The reality is people in power do have gay friends and family and some of them are gay. This difffers 180 degrees from the old days, b/c obviously the whites in power did not have black friends and family and none of them were black.

I disagree it is discrimination, based on your definition of it. I see marriage as beign set up to encourage men to stay with the women they knock up, and to give women a level playing field giving their relationship with men is asyymetrical due to the pregnancy factor. Gay relationships are symmetrical, and there is no pregnancy factor. I would say gays are trying to get in on something that does not apply to them. Heterosexual relationships are unique relationships in terms of only babies result from that one specific relationship. It seems logical to me we would have some different thigns set up for this than other relationships.

Single people could say they are discriminated against with marriage benefits. What about other relationships that don't involve sex, why can't a brother and a sister get government benefits and recongition for their relationship. They love each other, just not sexually. Could they not also argue discrimination?

Given Republicans support civil unions, which sounds like at least 99 percent of what gays are asking for, I'm really confused about where the discrimination is, if we stipulate opposing gay marriage is bigotry.

Rich people and upper middle class are discriminated against by tax code, they have to pay a lot higher rate. Nobody is complaining about that. The new Obamacare law is discriminatory, it favors some people and jacks up the rates of others, based on income.

This idea that everything is fair is a myth but the only "unfairness" we hear about is stuff related to what gays care about, because the media is obviously in the tank for the Democrat causes.
You get it honey. And you'd be surprised how many of us gay people agree with you.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:01 PM

[quote]
Quote:
My point is a lot of Democrats push hard for a
victimhood status for gays that doesn't exist. Many black people do not agree
with gay marriage, and they don't like that comparison either. The reality is
people in power do have gay friends and family and some of them are gay. This
difffers 180 degrees from the old days, b/c obviously the whites in power did
not have black friends and family and none of them were black.
I have no idea what your first sentence means.

Many black people are pretty conservative and/or religious, so it's not a surprise that they are one of the most anti-gay groups. When Prop 8 in California was passed, the AA population was one of the biggest supporters. It's rather sad that people so often fail to see the own irony of their actions.

Quote:
I disagree it is discrimination, based on your definition of it. I see
marriage as beign set up to encourage men to stay with the women they knock up,
and to give women a level playing field giving their relationship with men
is asyymetrical due to the pregnancy factor. Gay relationships are
symmetrical, and there is no pregnancy factor. I would say gays are trying to
get in on something that does not apply to them. Heterosexual relationships are
unique relationships in terms of only babies result from that one specific
relationship. It seems logical to me we would have some different thigns set
up for this than other relationships.
Nonsense. Historically, marriage has been used for all kinds of reasons, many of which were less than positive. Today, marriage takes place all the time where no children are ever involved. My own father was remarried in his 60s. No kids are happening. I don't see anyone stepping in to object to those marriages. Kids are not a legal requirement, or even a religious requirement.

I'm also kind of baffled by the idea that the planet actually needs an ever-growing population. Is not 7.5 billion enough? Especially when there are no legal standards to who can have children. It doesn't matter if they can be taken care of, fed, clothed or housed. It doesn't matter if they have adequate health care or education. Millions and millions of children are born into dire conditions. Take the influx of illegal immigrant kids from Central America recently. How many of those kids came from parents who were married? That's not special. That's a tragedy.

Quote:
Single people could say they are discriminated against with marriage
benefits. What about other relationships that don't involve sex, why can't a brother
and a sister get government benefits and recongition for their relationship.
They love each other, just not sexually. Could they not also argue
discrimination?
What you're actually arguing for is that the government not be in the business of granting special benefits to a select group of people. I would be okay if it didn't. But it does, and here we are. Of course, the debate goes well beyond any financial benefits and it's disingenuous to keep making it about simple greed.

Quote:
Given Republicans support civil unions, which sounds like at least 99 percent of
what gays are asking for, I'm really confused about where the discrimination
is, if we stipulate opposing gay marriage is bigotry.
I haven't seen any polls that suggest Republicans are supportive even of civil unions.

The "I don't see or understand what the problem is with you people" has been said for literally every single group of maligned or discriminated group of people in this history of mankind.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Being different has nothing to do with this. The links you offered are painfully obvious. You think you're the first gay person to say this stuff? Get in line, it's all been done before, and it doesn't take a degree in psychology to read between the lines.

No one is forcing you to get married or even to support it, but your position is the height of intellectual dishonesty at best.
If you read my posts on this subject, you'll see that I agree this thing will eventually be the law of the land. I have no problem with that. So be it. The height of intellectual dishonesty is pretending that it's all about recognizing loving and committed relationships, when in fact it's really about wanting the same tax breaks, benefits and government perks that straight married couples get. In the end, the institution of marriage will have less meaning for everybody.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81
Back when Chappelle's Show was on tv, there was an episode in which a blind black man had been raised to hate black people. Only problem is no one had ever told him he was black too. The end of the skit was a scene where, as an adult, he ended up crashing a white supremacist meeting and ranting against black people... obviously oblivious to his own race. You're rather like that man.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:32 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
When do you believe ALL the southern states will remove their bans on gay marriage? Virginia, The Carolina's, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, etc.

I don't believe that ALL of them ever will.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Southern states have liberal judges who will overrule referendum votes at some point. All the angst makes no sense given everybody knows this is going to happen in every state eventually because our judicial system ends up deciding a lot of the issues, even though it isn't supposed to work like that.

Abortion would be illegal in the southern states if people were allowed to vote on it. we can't have people voting on something like that though. need to confer to a few men in black robes. So wise.
Well, it kind of is supposed to work like that. While I think the majority usually decides what is best, it certainly doesn't always.

How much longer would slavery had lasted if it had been put to a vote (mind you, at the time, blacks weren't allowed to vote, anyways)?

What about Jim Crow laws?

I'm not trying to make any sort of moral connection between slavery or abortion or gay marriage or any other social issue -- but there's a reason why we have a judicial system and not simple majority rule. Sometimes the majority is wrong.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
If you come against abortion and tax hikes and the ACA and all this other stuff, you going to have so many Republican friends you will probably want to get rid some of them. Otherwise, just wait on the judges. lol

You will find if you stop supporting the Democratic agenda across the board, those Dem politicians aren't going to care about gay marriage anymore. I guarantee they care more about abortion and raising taxes and other stuff more than gay marriage.
What makes you assume that I'm a Democrat?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Logical conclusion. I'll be right 9 out of 10 times, at least. If not, no big deal.
Please do explain this logical method.

I'm intrigued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.