Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 PM
NCN NCN started this thread

21,663 posts, read 25,664,149 times

Advertisements

We were discussing how some areas are getting more than enough water and others are having droughts. A couple years ago it was the opposite. My husband came up with an idea to have a pipeline built across the USA so water from flooded areas could be shared with drought areas.

What do you think about this? I am concerned with the conditions around Vegas and LA. Sounds like a good idea to me. I am not an engineer and don't know how to make it work, but I think it is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,934,300 times
Probably not a good idea to overdevelop the desert.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Look up the Central Arizona Project. I think you'd be interested. It costed us a lot of money, but helped us a lot.

California gets first dibs to the Colorado so as long as San Diego and Los Angeles grow in population every other state with rights to the river will have less. I wish California desalinated to help us out, considering they are the only one with the ocean. But... who knows.

What the major metros in these areas need is a lifestyle change. I read somewhere that HALF of Phoenix's water usage goes to WATERING YARDS. Is that really necessary?? Can we just put in fake grass and call it a day (besides, water is expensive)?? Can we put in native plants that we don't have to water really, except every once in a while, instead of non-native palm trees? It's ridiculous if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure that statistic I just listed is just for Phoenix proper, not the metro. What I noticed is that a couple of suburbs (at least Scottsdale and Mesa) offer rebates if you give up some of your yard. Phoenix doesn't. Maybe if we give citizens an incentive...

Anyway, something like this has been discussed before. Didn't New Mexico want to do this and take water from the Great Lakes??

Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,962,158 times
It's a very dangerous precedent and very bad practice ecologically to transfer water from one watershed to another. Just google OWENS VALLEY and read about what a disaster it has become, to the benefit of greater Los Angeles.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,616,308 times
Nope.

Sincerely,

The Great Lakes Region

Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
There is a reason the British Colonists like William Penn put cities where they did. He chose Philadelphia's location due to the confluence of two rivers and loads of fresh water. When we got to the West we threw everything out the window. The desert West should be sparsely populated. End of story. You don't see huge cities in Australia in the middle of the desert. Developers and the almighty dollar trump everything in the US.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,789,353 times
Ever notice how the Northeast and Great Lakes states never have wildfires or water shortages, and seldom have severe droughts?

"Ewww, but I don't wanna live there; it's too cloudy and everything is old!"

Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,089,272 times
Here Here! If you are worried about running out of water, move to where it's never a problem. Don't take it away from the people smart enough to stay near it!

No to the redistribution of water!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
maybe the desert areas of the country should embrace their environment instead of trying to turn it into something it obviously is not

Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,220,948 times
It's not a feasible option to pump water across the country, which would have to happen in order to get past higher elevation areas. Unlike gases that are often pumped over long distances, water is an incompressible fluid with a much higher density. Regional water can sometimes be transferred like what you see in California and Arizona, but this happens via open channels (i.e. gravity flow) so no pumping is required.

As mentioned above, there would also be the issue of transferring water from one watershed to another even if it could be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.