Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 PM

419 posts, read 2,018,909 times

Advertisements

I think I have changed significantly since I moved to the urban Northeast. I have become more standoffish, suspicious, less social and more guarded than I did when I was living in a small town in the Midwest.

This board is full of postings complaining about how certain cities have so many jerks, or people are unfriendly in one town or another. I wonder how much of it is based on the types of personalities that will gravitate towards a particular city or people's reaction and assimilation to the standing culture of a town or state. Maybe if I would have relocated to Nashville, TN with its southern manners and open personality I would have become friendlier. It is possible living in a city can change someone without them even knowing it.

Can a town change one's personality?

Last edited by questioner2; 12-21-2007 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I think I have changed significantly since I moved to the urban Northeast. I have become more standoffish, suspicious, less social and more guarded than I did when I was living in a small town in the Midwest.

This board is full of postings complaining about how certain cities have so many jerks, or people are unfriendly in one town or another. I wonder how much of it is based on the types of personalities that will gravitate towards a particular city or people's reaction and assimilation to the standing culture of a town or state. Maybe if I would have relocated to Nashville, TN with its southern manners and open personality I would have become friendlier.

It all depends upon your willpower I suppose. I've grown up in Northeastern Pennsylvania. My region condones alcoholism. I never drink a drop. My region promotes smoking. I abhor it. My region likes President Bush. I think he's the worst president we've had since I've been alive. My region is apprehensive about minorities. I welcome diversity. My region is not concerned by urban sprawl. I speak out against it. My region loves hunting. I don't hunt. My region has a lot of bitter, angry folks. I'm happy living here. My region fears change. I welcome social progression.

You need not "adapt" to conform to your region's standards if you feel they leave much to be desired. I'm a homegrown native of my area, and I continually break rank from what is expected of me. So what?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,644 times
Quote:

This board is full of postings complaining about how certain cities have so many jerks, or people are unfriendly in one town or another. I wonder how much of it is based on the types of personalities that will gravitate towards a particular city or people's reaction and assimilation to the standing culture of a town or state. Maybe if I would have relocated to Nashville, TN with its southern manners and open personality I would have become friendlier. It is possible living in a city can change someone without them even knowing it.

Bull****. Southern hospitality is bull****. I lived in the South for over 20 years, I know of what I speak. There are good people and bad people everywhere. Stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. I've met many very warm, friendly, gregarious people from New York, Pennsylvania, etc. And I've met more than my fair share of *******s from Alabama, Georgia, etc.

With that being said, i think this is a silly question.

_

Old 12-21-2007, 02:12 PM

419 posts, read 2,018,909 times
Default Up to recently I traveled the country 200 days a year

Up to recently I worked at a job where I traveled to many different places all over America and was constantly amazed at how different people were depending on where they lived.

Each City and part of America has its own distinct social culture and people do treat each other differently in general based on that culture. The folks in TN are as different than the people in New Jersey based on their regional culture, as the French are from people in Great Britain.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:21 PM

117 posts, read 449,839 times
oh i think it's a very interesting question...and yes i think it can but not always does. i think where i choose to raise my kids will have a pretty huge impact on the people they become.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Bull****. Southern hospitality is bull****. I lived in the South for over 20 years, I know of what I speak. There are good people and bad people everywhere. Stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. I've met many very warm, friendly, gregarious people from New York, Pennsylvania, etc. And I've met more than my fair share of *******s from Alabama, Georgia, etc.

_
You aren't lying about that one. I co-sign to that one.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
To answer the original question, not really. I find that condescending.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:

_
I agree as well. I do struggle with this, however. It's true that there are different cultures everywhere, and every area has a slightly different "feel". But in the long run, people are people, especailly one on one.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:59 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,580 times
Quote:

Yes, I think it can, without a doubt (in my opinion). We are social creatures; we pick up the vibe, mannerisms, cultural codes, etc. of those around us. We become like those around us to a large degree; more than we notice. The change is gradual, but it does happen. There are those (like the poster above) who breaks rank with the norm in his/her area, and I know that many people do that (myself included). However, it seems that doing this feels like one is swimming upstream, against the tide. Maybe it is better to find an area that is congruent with oneself and go with the flow rather than fighting against it.

Last edited by Donna7; 12-22-2007 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: make change

Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
Quote:

_
Signing on to this one as well.

Personally, I think you get what you give. If you act like a jerk, well, everyone's going to be the same way back. Maybe that's why I haven't run into many "mean" people since i've lived in Chicago - I'm actually generally polite to people I run into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.