Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 AM

8 posts, read 10,780 times

Advertisements

ok guys, i am loving this forum! so i thought i would seek some advice... i have lived in the cincinnati, ohio area my entire life (26 years) and am getting ready to graduate from pharmacy school. i definitely want to move and i have done TONS of research but i am missing personal opinions from the locals (that would be you guys!). here is what i am looking for... more suburban with urban flair, within an hour of a major city, liberal, slower paced but not stagnant, friendly neighbors, preferably no snow or frigid winters, more sunny days than cloudy, younger crowd (college and or professional), nightlife, great restaurants, sushi, sporting events, parks, a health conscious population, good schools, inexpensive cost-of-living (it's all relative)... so if this sounds like your area or an area that you know, let me know!!! and if you have any questions for me, just ask... thanks!!!

Last edited by beneventor; 06-06-2008 at 03:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:18 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Everything you ask for, except "inexpensive cost-of-living" equals:
Seattle. But since "it's all relative" ...

Old 06-06-2008, 03:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Austin, Texas

Old 06-06-2008, 04:01 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
When you say, "more suburban with urban flair" and "within an hour of a major city", it sounds like you are looking for Exurbia, America which can be found in every major or minor city in the country. You should have no problem finding your Utopia.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:52 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Gainesville, Florida

While I hate the University of Florida with every fiber of my soul, Gainesville sounds very much like the kind of town you're looking for.

It's a town of about 110,000 people with 50,000 college students (UF and the community college). The metro area has about 260,000.

It's about an hour from Jacksonville and a little over an hour from Orlando.

Gainesville is a young, trendy, uber liberal city with tons of sunshine, tons of restaurants and lots of nightlife. And it's not too expensive, either (well not compared to places like San Fran, DC or Seattle).

Old 06-06-2008, 09:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Everything you ask for, except "inexpensive cost-of-living" equals:
Seattle. But since "it's all relative" ...
Id agree except the OP said "more sunny days than cloudy", which means Seattle would probably drive her insane.

I second the Austin, TX recommendation. Sounds like it might fit you, if you can handle long and very hot/humid summers.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 10,780 times
thanks for your comment!!! and yeah, austin tx was top of my list until MANY people said it was over-rated and WAY overpopulated with all the influx of people. i see it at the top of every list for wonderful cities to relocate to, but i think because of this it may have lost that initial quality the placed it at the top of these lists... i think i am looking more for a hidden gem... would you agree or do you think this view is unfair to austin???

Old 06-06-2008, 11:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneventor View Post
thanks for your comment!!! and yeah, austin tx was top of my list until MANY people said it was over-rated and WAY overpopulated with all the influx of people. i see it at the top of every list for wonderful cities to relocate to, but i think because of this it may have lost that initial quality the placed it at the top of these lists... i think i am looking more for a hidden gem... would you agree or do you think this view is unfair to austin???
What about Santa Fe, NM, if you can afford it? Way more unique than Austin, IMO, not nearly as crowded and not as hot either.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beneventor View Post
ok guys, i am loving this forum! so i thought i would seek some advice... i have lived in the cincinnati, ohio area my entire life (26 years) and am getting ready to graduate from pharmacy school. i definitely want to move and i have done TONS of research but i am missing personal opinions from the locals (that would be you guys!). here is what i am looking for... more suburban with urban flair, within an hour of a major city, liberal, slower paced but not stagnant, friendly neighbors, preferably no snow or frigid winters, more sunny days than cloudy, younger crowd (college and or professional), nightlife, great restaurants, sushi, sporting events, parks, a health conscious population, good schools, inexpensive cost-of-living (it's all relative)... so if this sounds like your area or an area that you know, let me know!!! and if you have any questions for me, just ask... thanks!!!
You'd love most of Fairfield County--especially Stamford, CT. Stamford has a tremendous quality of life with tons of opportunity for young professionals. Since it sits 44 mins by train to NYC and has many financial firms and corporate branches and headquarters here itself, job seekers should have no issue. Long Island Sound is right here, as are bars, restaurants, good schools, parks, etc. that you are looking for. The area is quite expensive--but it is for a reason: it's one of the best locations in the US.
Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.