Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Finally somebody with the right answer. You win.
True but many don't neatly fit into the racial categories of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
True but many don't neatly fit into the racial categories of the United States.
I have Latinos in my family and I am Jewish.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I have Latinos in my family and I am Jewish.
I'm 25% Latino but I think you get the point.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Is there a racial subforum so that these stupid threads can all be put there?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:48 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Keanu Reeves is also considered "white" even though he is half Asian. I can think of many other actors who fit that bill. The fact of the matter is that many hispanics have a very high intermarriage rate. Many of their kids will for all intensive purposes look "white" or at least mostly white.

I think what we are seeing in North America; is the absorbption of former "minority groups" into the white mainsteam. Akin to what happened to Eastern, and Southern Europeans. It is not exactly the same, but it is similar.

We are already seeing it in the way the media portrays Asians with economic data, and education/economic mobility. How many tech stories have to come out stating that their are no "minorities" in tech, when in fact nearly 30-50 percent of the tech workers are Asian and Indiain.

We are also seeing it, in the way that the George Zimmerman trial painted him as a just a regular "white" guy. When in fact he is partly of hispanic heritage. The term white is taking on a diffrent cultural meaning in the 21st century. The intersection of class/ethnic lines is being blurred to some degree.

Again, I am talking about the cultural mainstream (TV, art, media, etc.). I am not suggesting that people are just going to give up their respective ethnic identities. But I think we are seeing a change in what "whiteness" entails from a generation or two ago.

I think the White vs. Black paradigm will always be the dominant discussion in American politics. The recent protests in Ferguson pretty much confirmed that.
I don't know about George Zimmerman. He was probably presented as "white" because it would grab attention in the headlines. "Latino shoots black teenager" just isn't nearly as gripping as "White man shoots black teenager". I highly doubt Zimmerman is considered a regular white guy in most of America. He is mixed, like Obama.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Is there a racial subforum so that these stupid threads can all be put there?
No

Old 09-23-2014, 03:53 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Keanu Reeves is also considered "white" even though he is half Asian. I can think of many other actors who fit that bill. The fact of the matter is that many hispanics have a very high intermarriage rate. Many of their kids will for all intensive purposes look "white" or at least mostly white.

I think what we are seeing in North America; is the absorbption of former "minority groups" into the white mainsteam. Akin to what happened to Eastern, and Southern Europeans. It is not exactly the same, but it is similar.

We are already seeing it in the way the media portrays Asians with economic data, and education/economic mobility. How many tech stories have to come out stating that their are no "minorities" in tech, when in fact nearly 30-50 percent of the tech workers are Asian and Indiain.

We are also seeing it, in the way that the George Zimmerman trial painted him as a just a regular "white" guy. When in fact he is partly of hispanic heritage. The term white is taking on a diffrent cultural meaning in the 21st century. The intersection of class/ethnic lines is being blurred to some degree.

Again, I am talking about the cultural mainstream (TV, art, media, etc.). I am not suggesting that people are just going to give up their respective ethnic identities. But I think we are seeing a change in what "whiteness" entails from a generation or two ago.

I think the White vs. Black paradigm will always be the dominant discussion in American politics. The recent protests in Ferguson pretty much confirmed that.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
I think there are very few parts of the country that wouldn't consider Southern Europeans "White" unless there skin was as dark /brown as an Mestizo. A fair-skinned Greek or Italian would still be considered White in most of the Southern US.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 PM

96 posts, read 252,473 times
In reality, no.

On Philadephia's (My city) murder map, they count "Puerto Ricans" as White.

Some rappers thats philly puerto ricans. (Peedi Crakk) Look him up for his skin color.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
This guy is sang one of the more popular song on Spanish lanugage radio, at least notice flipping thru radio stations while driving:

farruko - Google Search

looks white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.