Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:12 PM

128 posts, read 223,020 times

Advertisements

Do you live in a city where arrogant people are common and this becomes another reason for you to consider moving? I live in Seattle which I feel is a good city overall. However, over the years I have watched Seattle as a city become more and more arrogant which is off-putting to me. I do think that the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl has increased the level of arrogance. Anyway, I have found myself feeling that the current and modern arrogance of Seattle is another reason for me to consider moving away eventually.

Do any of you feel this way about your city? Perhaps it is not just Seattle. Perhaps most of our country and modern society has become more arrogant and is getting more and more arrogant as time goes on. Maybe I just need to live in a small town or smaller city where people are more humble. Maybe I just need a break from Seattle. Maybe I need a time machine that will take me back to the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post

Perhaps it is not just Seattle. Perhaps most of our country and modern society has become more arrogant and is getting more and more arrogant as time goes on.
Bingo.

It isn't just Seattle. As our country becomes more and more polarized, and we move deeper into a "haves vs. have-nots" mindset, with an increasing rift between rich and poor, and the middle class keeps falling through the cracks, this kind of arrogance will continue to become the norm everywhere in America. Especially in the big cities, where it is more pronounced. It sucks, but at this point we're too far gone to return to some long-gone "golden age".

I think a vacation might help.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Take a little vacation trip down to Portland and see if it feels different.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Yeah, people in Seattle are more snobby, but they aren't nearly as bad as the people I dealt with in Southern California. At least people in Seattle are more educated and intellectual.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
I feel the same way about Austin as the OP does about Seattle. People here think Austin is just the greatest place ever. It is nice here in some ways but the constant praise, often accompanied with jabs at other places, gets old. When I hear people talk about the incredible beauty of Austin, I can barely keep from rolling my eyes.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
It wasn't arrogance as much as it was ignorance.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
You're not imagining it. One of my best friends growing up and from high school has lived in the Seattle area for 20 years now. Whenever he comes back home to Georgia, I have to correct him on his attitude sometimes. It's usually light-hearted and in a joking fashion, but occasionally it has crossed over into some real awkwardly serious moments, especially when the topic of conversation turns to politics, religion or race. I wouldn't exactly call him a snob, but he's most definitely a member of the Seattle cult.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Once again, it isn't just Seattle. I have encountered this kind of arrogance all over the country. Even in the South.

Sometimes it's just a simple matter of getting out of your neighborhood. I seem to recall from my time living in Seattle that it was mainly just a few trendy neighborhoods where this mentality prevailed.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Yes, cities that are arrogant turn me off. If you live in a great city, let the city's greatness speak for itself. You don't need to rub everybody's face in it, and put other cities down to try and prop your city up. I could never live in a city like Seattle, Minneapolis, DC, or (somewhat) San Francisco for that reason.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 08-20-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM

128 posts, read 223,020 times
I believe that people who act arrogant are really just insecure and they "act" arrogant just to cover up how insecure they are on the inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.