Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston is a Texan city in the same vain as Austin, or Dallas that just so happens to be on the gulf coast. Therfore, its certain that there is going to be a coastal culture much different from the rest of the large metros of the state. It is rather laughable to say that Houston is in the same "south" as Mississippi. Yes, indeed, it does have echoes of Cajun culture from Louisiana, but that's pretty much it.

Houston just has too much of a "Tex-Mex" flair to fit neatly with the regions you described. Refer to the article below for more information:

Houston: a merging of southern and western cultures - Houston Culture | Examiner.com
Laughably false. Boblob seems to agree with you, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Houston is not distinct from the south at all. How on earth is the weather different?!! It's the exact same as the middle gulf coast. Your arguments are completely baseless.
I'd like to hear him explain this weather statement. Can't wait to hear it. I need a good hearty laugh before I stuff my face with that fried turkey tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,602,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Laughably false. Boblob seems to agree with you, though.
So what if I do (and I actually don't agree with anything other than the Tex-Mex influence - not that it matters)? Why do you feel the need to bring my name up in this? You seem to get really bent out of shape when people even politely disagree with you.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,928,431 times
Quote:
Houston is not distinct from the south at all. How on earth is the weather different?!! It's the exact same as the middle gulf coast. Your arguments are completely baseless.
Yes, Houston has the "Tex-Mex" flair that makes it stick out from the south. Other things also contribute to make it unique from that area. I posted the article before, and I'll do it again:

Houston: a merging of southern and western cultures - Houston Culture | Examiner.com

Yes, the weather is actually different. The Texas coast, save for the Beamont-Port Arthur area, is unique in that it has a drier climate than the rest of the Gulf Coast. Whereas New Orleans, Mobile, Biloxi, Pensacola, and all the other cities in the area get over 60 inches of rain per year, Houston only averages rain in the 40 inch gradient, same as Boston, New York, and many northeastern cities. Going down the Texas Coast, the climate gets drier, with Corpus Christi receiving rain in the 30 inch gradient(though it is more humid than Houston), and Brownsville, in the lower 20 inch range, is nearly semiarid.

Only in Port Arthur does the rainfall start matching up to the rest of the Gulf Coast, as it gets 60 inches of rain a year.

Despite the lesser rainfall, all areas of the Texas Coast have the same humidity as areas of the southeast.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
So what if I do (and I actually don't agree with anything other than the Tex-Mex influence - not that it matters)? Why do you feel the need to bring my name up in this? You seem to get really bent out of shape when people even politely disagree with you.
Probably for the same reason you felt the need to bring my name up earlier. Rather annoying, isn't it?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,602,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Probably for the same reason you felt the need to bring my name up earlier. Rather annoying, isn't it?
Wow. That time I brought your name up I was doing a little harmless ribbing. Completely innocuous on my part. You took that as a personal affront, and I apologized and said I wouldn't do it again. You called me "petty".

So, what you're doing here right now somehow isn't petty?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,346,705 times
Quote:
Yes, Houston has the "Tex-Mex" flair that makes it stick out from the south. Other things also contribute to make it unique from that area. I posted the article before, and I'll do it again:

Yes, the weather is actually different. The Texas coast, save for the Beamont-Port Arthur area, is unique in that it has a drier climate than the rest of the Gulf Coast. Whereas New Orleans, Mobile, Biloxi, Pensacola, and all the other cities in the area get over 60 inches of rain per year, Houston only averages rain in the 40 inch gradient, same as Boston, New York, and many northeastern cities. Going down the Texas Coast, the climate gets drier, with Corpus Christi receiving rain in the 30 inch gradient(though it is more humid than Houston), and Brownsville, in the lower 20 inch range, is nearly semiarid.

Only in Port Arthur does the rainfall start matching up to the rest of the Gulf Coast, as it gets 60 inches of rain a year.

Despite the lesser rainfall, all areas of the Texas Coast have the same humidity as areas of the southeast.
...and Baton Rouge has a French influence, Northern Florida has a Spanish influence. The south is a region full of different histories. South Louisiana isn't "less southern" because it doesn't have the same history as Montgomery. East Texas isn't "less southern" because it doesn't have the same history as Chattanooga. This is what I mean when I say baseless.
That article proves absolutely nothing. Everyone knows Houston has a bit of stereotypical Texan culture, that fact alone doesn't take away any true southern culture. Houston is steeped in southern culture.

Rainfall is your argument?! Houston is hot as hell, humid as hell, rains through the summer, and humidly cold through the winter. Just like the rest of the middle gulf coast.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,928,431 times
Quote:
...and Baton Rouge has a French influence, Northern Florida has a Spanish influence. The south is a region full of different histories. South Louisiana isn't "less southern" because it doesn't have the same history as Montgomery. East Texas isn't "less southern" because it doesn't have the same history as Chattanooga. This is what I mean when I say baseless.
That article proves absolutely nothing. Everyone knows Houston has a bit of stereotypical Texan culture, that fact alone doesn't take away any true southern culture. Houston is steeped in southern culture.

Rainfall is your argument?! Houston is hot as hell, humid as hell, rains through the summer, and humidly cold through the winter. Just like the rest of the middle gulf coast.

The Tex-Mex flair connects Houston with the rest of Texas, so yes, it isn't really baseless. Absolutely nothing separates Houston from the rest of Texas, aside from its coastal location (Which is why it is in the coastal bend like Corpus Christi). Yes Houston is steeped in Southern culture, but said culture was seasoned with a "Tex-Mex" flair, just like the rest of Texas.

Houston is hot and humid, true. Corpus Christi is also hot and humid, as is Brownsville. But all three Texas cities get less rain than the rest of the Gulf Coast cities in other states.

P.S: I didn't see that much rain in Houston this summer. Looks like the deserts of Mexico have in influence on Houston.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Wrong again. New Orleans receives a mere 8 extra inches of precipitation. That's equal to about three extra days of heavy downpours. Hardly enough to call the weather "different".

Anyone who's spent a considerable amount of time in both cities knows that the climates are virtually identical.

Houston also receives more rain than Atlanta.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Wow. That time I brought your name up I was doing a little harmless ribbing. Completely innocuous on my part. You took that as a personal affront, and I apologized and said I wouldn't do it again. You called me "petty".

So, what you're doing here right now somehow isn't petty?
You can rib but I can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.