Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You can rib but I can't?
Ha! Yeah, that's convenient. I'm sure that's all you were doing.

Well, happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The Tex-Mex flair connects Houston with the rest of Texas, so yes, it isn't really baseless. Absolutely nothing separates Houston from the rest of Texas, aside from its coastal location (Which is why it is in the coastal bend like Corpus Christi). Yes Houston is steeped in Southern culture, but said culture was seasoned with a "Tex-Mex" flair, just like the rest of Texas.

Houston is hot and humid, true. Corpus Christi is also hot and humid, as is Brownsville. But all three Texas cities get less rain than the rest of the Gulf Coast cities in other states.

P.S: I didn't see that much rain in Houston this summer. Looks like the deserts of Mexico have in influence on Houston.
Culture separates Houston from Texas, not saying it's not Texan because people in Houston are certainly prideful Texans (kind of annoying sometimes). Tex-Mex is an influence, doesn't mean that's a reason it's less southern. Again, South Louisiana is "seasoned" by the French, and New Orleans by Africa, Caribbean, Italy, Spain, etc yet it's still solidly southern.
Houston weather felt exactly like Baton Rouge weather. Except less hurricane parties.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Wrong again. New Orleans receives a mere 8 extra inches of precipitation. That's equal to about three extra days of heavy downpours. Hardly enough to call the weather "different".

Anyone who's spent a considerable amount of time in both cities knows that the climates are virtually identical.

Houston also receives more rain than Atlanta.
No Houston averages only 45 inches of rain per year, while New Orleans gets 62 inches. Big difference. Sometimes the average creeps up to 49 inches (same as Atlanta) because storms like Allison and Ike get averaged in its data.

Anyways, I was comparing the Texas coastal cities to other cities in the Gulf coast region in other states, not to mountainous, inland cities like Atlanta. In fact, you just proved my point about the aridity of the Texas Coast; Houston, a city right on the coast, is averaging, at its wettest, about the same amount of rainfall as a city well inland on a mountain. The Texas coast (except the Golden Triangle) is relatively dry compared to many areas in the south.

Study Reveals Top 10 Wettest U.S. Cities | LiveScience

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 11-27-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Ha! Yeah, that's convenient. I'm sure that's all you were doing.

Well, happy Thanksgiving.
What's convenient is you claiming I'm guilty of something and then insisting that you're innocent of doing the very same thing.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Culture separates Houston from Texas, not saying it's not Texan because people in Houston are certainly prideful Texans (kind of annoying sometimes). Tex-Mex is an influence, doesn't mean that's a reason it's less southern. Again, South Louisiana is "seasoned" by the French, and New Orleans by Africa, Caribbean, Italy, Spain, etc yet it's still solidly southern.
Houston weather felt exactly like Baton Rouge weather. Except less hurricane parties.
And I experienced the weather from Corpus to Brownsville to McAllen. All are humid, just as Houston is, and just as Baton Rouge is.

Much of Houston is in the Texas Coastal Bend like Corpus Christi is in. Only the areas towards Huntsville, on Eastward towards the Golden Triangle has the exact same southern culture you see in Loisianna. You have ti cross the Sabine River.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Ha! The feeling is mutual, bruh, trust me.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
What's convenient is you claiming I'm guilty of something and then insisting that you're innocent of doing the very same thing.
Yeah, ok. Whatever makes you feel better. Don't get too stuffed on that Turkey.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And I experienced the weather from Corpus to Brownsville to McAllen. All are humid, just as Houston is, and just as Baton Rouge is.

Much of Houston is in the Texas Coastal Bend like Corpus Christi is in. Only the areas towards Huntsville, on Eastward towards the Golden Triangle has the exact same southern culture you see in Loisianna. You have ti cross the Sabine River.
Well if you mean Huntsville and the rest of east Texas, they have the exact same culture as NW Louisiana.
Houston is a lesser extension of Port Arthur/Lake Charles.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well if you mean Huntsville and the rest of east Texas, they have the exact same culture as NW Louisiana.
Houston is a lesser extension of Port Arthur/Lake Charles.
The Houston metro as a whole is a transition region. The eastern portions are like the Golden Triangle, but the western portions, like Sugar Land and Katy, fit in more with Corpus Christi's Texas Coastal Bend.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
What city dominates the South? Oh thats no longer the topic

Ok...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.