Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times

Advertisements

^^^Very true. There are times when I am in a major city and if there wasn't some of the old historic buildings/high
rises or the typography, it could be anywhere USA.
(and yes, I would have to dig a little deeper and search for the non-corporate experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The more I think about it, the more homogeneous this country becomes. Regions are losing their heritage. Apart from, maybe, San Francisco, NYC, and DC, the country is pretty much the same in culturally and economically.
I think it depends how exactly you define uniqueness. Although there is an American culture and economic across the USA, I still think that there different regions vary in their unique cultural habits as well economics.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
You always hear this, but in reality the country is becoming less transient, dialects are often diverging and increasing, and there's a nationwide movement back to "local" for everything from food to crafts. Even though this may seem counterintuitive, if anything I believe areas are slowly becoming more unique overall at this time.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
No - regions aren't losing their uniqueness.

I think there's a certain class of people or population that's transient.

A lot of the people I meet are from somewhere else because I've lived in apartment communities for the past 5 years. Somewhere else could be an international location or another area of the region.

In the community where I'm at now, there are a ton of apartments and condos and just about everything you'd expect to find in generic, chain store suburbia.

Other towns aren't like this because they have a high percentage of homeowners and/or they aren't zoned for "big-box" commercial development and actively resist attempts to change zoning laws.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 PM

165 posts, read 189,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
So do you over exaggerate your "southern" accent... Its a Texas accent right? Would you say you sound like the people in the vid? There are some variances in how they talk...The short young blonde sounds VERY "southern"...the redhead sounds country...the tall blonde's accent doesn't sound as strong as the rest but still. The short blonde chick's voice is kinda irritating except when she says "cut off the liiights". I actually kinda get a kick out of the redhead/brunettes accent @1:26 "you get the beer Ill get the ammo" ...not to bad...you think she'd date a Black guy from Norfolk city? LMAO.

I don't think most of NC talks like that but in any event I don't think those accents will change but so much.
Actually, the Southern accent in NC is very Southern. Some areas are stronger than others, but all North Carolinian's have a very Southern accent. Ditto for SC.

As far as dating it depends on your personality, interest, sense of humor, manners, etc... Just remember that not all Southern women will offer to 'fetch' the ammo. Lol

Old 08-29-2014, 11:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
On the topic of accents and from the first page, exaggerating accents, I know a girl from Long Island (LawnGuyLind) who exaggerates her accent around both fellow New Yorkers and out of staters, and it really bugs me. We're both in a really diverse place nearly every day, with people from all over the country, and she won't tell you enough how she's from Long Island, while speaking in that overdone accent.

It's the "o" sound usually. Words like bought, taught (which in this area naturally comes out like it has an o rather than an a - almost like "aww"), long when she says Long Island, off, coffee - it's so bad that others have called her out on exaggerating her accent. It's painfully obvious. Most from New York and New Jersey within the NYC area speak like this (I'm not talking the exaggeration, I'm talking pronunciation of the words I mentioned in this paragraph). The only major difference between a New York and New Jersey accent, I say, is that we in NJ tend to say our "r's" while those in NYC tend to not. Otherwise, it's virtually the same.

What does it prove? She wants everyone to know where she's from and that she has an accent, that she's from New York. She wants to distinguish herself, especially to those from elsewhere. Does this make me think regions are losing their identity? No, quite the opposite. Identities are still strong and people are still proud, IMO.

On the other hand I have a Californian friend (Orange County) who's been living in Staten Island for 3 years and thinks she's picked up the accent. Spoiler alert - she hasn't. She's like, "but I say "class" like New Yorkers!" - sure, but that's about it. The way she pronounces some words, like "tour", is so odd to my ears I can't even replicate it. Honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.