Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
My parents lived in Frederick in the early 70s (I was in college at the time). Even then, many of our neighbors commuted to the DC area, if not right into DC, for work.

Commuting from place to place is part and parcel of urban living. If you live within commutin distance of a large city, you are living in a suburb, IMO.
PittNurse: That was 35 years ago. And it was even less of a suburb then.

According to your definition, Colo. Springs is a suburb of Denver.

There is a distinct difference between suburbs, and cities. Frederick is a city. Check their website!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Oh, and while you're on the topic, how would you classify Martinsburg? Or maybe even Harper's Ferry? What industries would support those towns if a large percentage of residents weren't commuting to DC?

(Not attacking--please don't read this that way. I am genuinely intrigued to hear what you are going to say.)

Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
It has been a while since I lived in Frederick (really only visited for lengthly periods as I was in college), but the area from Germantown to Frederick was hardly wilderness even in 1969, when my parents first moved there.

The suburb of Denver that I live in, Louisville, is a city. It is an old coal mining town. The suburb to the east, Lafayette, is a city. Ditto. To the southeast, Broomfield, a city. Westminster, a city. Northglenn, Thornton, both cities. Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Littleton, Aurora, all cities. The political structure of a community is not what determines whether it is a suburb or not.

Colorado Springs is ~ 75 miles from Denver. Also has about 300,000 people. Only a hardy few commute from COS to Denver and vv. Per Mapquest, Frederick is 49 miles from DC.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
According to your definition, Colo. Springs is a suburb of Denver.
I think Colorado Springs coul exist without Denver. But how about Oceanside, CA? Or Laguna Beach? Or the very independent and self-supporting city of Santa Monica? I would call those suburbs--but I am open to hearing different opinions.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh, and while you're on the topic, how would you classify Martinsburg? Or maybe even Harper's Ferry? What industries would support those towns if a large percentage of residents weren't commuting to DC?

(Not attacking--please don't read this that way. I am genuinely intrigued to hear what you are going to say.)
I would classify them both as towns.

Normie - I don't think a place is a suburb based on the number of workers commuting to a nearby work area. I would define those places more along the lines of bedroom communities.

Maybe we just have a different definition of "suburb." I see them primarily as residential areas within, or immediately outside, of an urban area.

"Genuinely intrigued".....!!!! Why, thank you!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Arghh! I have to sign off now--and I'll be travelling for the next two days. Please don't think I'm abandoning this thread--I'll check in as soon as I can. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say while I'm making my way back home.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I think Colorado Springs coul exist without Denver. But how about Oceanside, CA? Or Laguna Beach? Or the very independent and self-supporting city of Santa Monica? I would call those suburbs--but I am open to hearing different opinions.
I think so, too. There is lots of employment in COS. In addition, to drive from COS to Denver, even to the farthest southern suburbs such as the City of Castle Rock, requires going over Monument Hill, which is not for the faint of heart in the winter. That's why most people don't do it.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-29-2007 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: add winter

Old 12-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post

"Genuinely intrigued".....!!!! Why, thank you!
You're welcome. It is a pleasure to read a thought-provoking debate.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. It is a pleasure to read a thought-provoking debate.
I agree. Talk to you soon!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Here is wikipedia's definition of suburb:

Quote:
Suburbs are commonly defined as residential areas on the outskirts of a city or large town.[1] Most modern suburbs are commuter towns with many single-family homes. Many suburbs have some degree of political autonomy and most have lower population density than inner city neighborhoods. Mechanical transport, including automobiles, enabled the 20th century growth of suburbs, which tend to proliferate near cities with an abundance of adjacent flat land.[2]

[edit] Definitions
The word is derived from the Old French "subb urbe" and ultimately from the Latin "suburbium", formed from "sub", meaning "under", and "urbs", meaning "city", therefore suburbis would mean under the city. Important people tended to live on hills near centers of commercial and political activity, while the lower classes often lived in marginal areas. "Under" in later usage sometimes referred variously to lesser wealth, political power, population, or population density. The first recorded usage, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, comes from Wycliffe in 1380, where the form "subarbis" is used.

In the United States, Canada and most of Western Europe the word "suburb" usually refers to a separate municipality, borough or unincorporated area outside a central town or city.
Note their definiton is much different than some proposed here tonight, and allows for suburbs to also be cities in their own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.