Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:28 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times

Advertisements

I realize a population difference some will note? But many threads place cities much larger and smaller against another. Two great Pennsylvanian cities, but are they very different?

Last edited by steeps; 09-11-2014 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: add a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Different yes but some similarities outside of the state including a large industrial with a strong education and medical history.

I like them both but they feel very different.

Both have bottomed out and on the rebound and reinventing themselves

Also share a PA history from colonial times through the industrial barron era (steel, chemicals, railroads) and now are trying to pull themselves up and re-invent themselves

Both share a love of football both pro and college and have common ground on Penn State in this regard

A youse versus yinz

On DTs Philly is bigger and overall more impressive. Pittsburgh punches above its weight being 1/3rd the size as a city/metro

Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Different yes but some similarities outside of the state including a large industrial with a strong education and medical history.

I like them both but they feel very different.

Both have bottomed out and on the rebound and reinventing themselves

Also share a PA history from colonial times through the industrial barron era (steel, chemicals, railroads) and now are trying to pull themselves up and re-invent themselves

Both share a love of football both pro and college and have common ground on Penn State in this regard

A youse versus yinz

On DTs Philly is bigger and overall more impressive. Pittsburgh punches above its weight being 1/3rd the size as a city/metro
The only people who think Pittsburgh shares anything in common with Penn State are people who went to Penn State.

Philly has a ton a good universities. Pittsburgh has Pitt, CMU, Duquense and others. I doubt folks in Philly care much about PSU either.

That said, Pittsburgh probably has more going on for a city its size than any comparable city. But due to being 1/6th the size of Philly, it'll never be Philly.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:37 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,899,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

That said, Pittsburgh probably has more going on for a city its size than any comparable city. But due to being 1/6th the size of Philly, it'll never be Philly.
Nor does it need to be..... The Burgh just needs to stay the Burgh, its well on the right path.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,170,970 times
Hmm, I'd never been to Pittsburgh but always was intrigued and really excited to finally visit a couple years ago. The visit went well...rode the light rail, experienced both the trendy nightlife and the extremely hipster nightlife scene, toured three campuses, watched fireworks from the top of monongahela.

That said...I'll have to pick Philly by far for three major reasons:
1) Much better Chinese food and Asian food/culture in general
2) Much better transit system
3) Much easier to get to NYC and DC

Old 09-14-2014, 12:35 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Penn State/State College is the same as Harrisburg. Uptight yuppies who think they are liberals.

Philly is another suburb (along with NJ) of NYC

Pittsburgh is a NE/WV mix of culture

Old 09-14-2014, 12:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Philadelphia has all the uber historical stuff from the revolutionary days, including Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed. Pittsburgh's history is not so well known outside of the Pittsburgh area (Ft. Pitt, the French and Indian War, etc). The geography/topography is very different. Pittsburgh is very hilly, Philly is more rolling hills. Philly is hotter in summer and a little warmer in winter.

Penn State doesn't even have a campus in Pittsburgh proper; don't know about Philly.

BTW, I'm from the Pittsburgh area, also lived briefly near Philly in Delaware.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-14-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Both are good cities. One is one of the most underrated big cities in the country while the other is also underrated and probably one of the best mid sized cities/metros in the country. All in all it comes down to different strokes and preferences for everyone. I couldn't see myself living right in the city of Philly, but I could see living in one of Philly's suburban counties.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:29 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Both are great cities for sure. Pittsburgh has breathtaking natural beauty.

Philadelphia however, being so much larger, is naturally going to be better in almost every category.

As far as Downtown's go, Center City Philadelphia is one of the best in the country, easily in the top 5, and is far better than Downtown Pittsburgh which is mainly just a job center.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:46 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Both are good cities. One is one of the most underrated big cities in the country while the other is also underrated and probably one of the best mid sized cities/metros in the country. All in all it comes down to different strokes and preferences for everyone. I couldn't see myself living right in the city of Philly, but I could see living in one of Philly's suburban counties.
Do you live in the city of Pittsburgh or the burbs? I would be surprised if someone living in Pittsburgh did not love the leafy neighborhoods surrounding University City in West Philadelphia, or the Fairmount neighborhood in North Philadelphia, or most of the Northwest section of the city.

Pittsburgh shares many similarities with the West and Northwest Sections of Philadelphia.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9513...hwX9nFyjKA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9614...omf3k7y-aA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9652...BaRFdl7nsQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0139...whQdlHWfKQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0516...khpSwrs-8A!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0526...FbP1EF_C8Q!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0253..._DucoM5N6A!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0758...ctVnQRpszg!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.