Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:22 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times

Advertisements

In most of Wisconsin we say "soda." There are many other goofy things that we say though - bubbler, TYME machine, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
there is a Wisconsin run Cheese Curd food truck in Philly they are quite good
I'm sure they are, but one thing no one else understands about Wisconsin cheese curds is that we're not talking about the breaded/fried cheese curds (though they certainly are tasty), we're talking fresh-that-day from the factory. They should be squeaky, never refrigerated, and hopefully still warm from the vat. I have never seen them sold properly in other states, though I've tried disgusting refrigerated bags of junk from MI, CA, and NY (which were the absolute worst - smelled like gym socks and got thrown out the window).

Many of these "charts" apply to southern Midwest (there isn't even a Steak N Shake in Wisconsin) and not Upper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
The most important part of the "article" is here:

Quote:
In the 1880s, Kansas and Nebraska were the "Middle West," as opposed to the Dakota Territory (the Northwest) and the area that would be Oklahoma and Texas (the Southwest). It was in the early 20th century, he writes, that people began thinking about the Midwest as having broader definition looking more like the one we use today.
The ORIGINAL and FOREVER Midwest.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
The most important part of the "article" is here:

The ORIGINAL and FOREVER Midwest.
Nah, I have more in common with Alaska here in Wisconsin than I do Oklahoma.

Wisconsin and Minnesota were also "The West" for a long period of the country's history - should we stick with that, as well?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM

676 posts, read 961,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Many of these "charts" apply to southern Midwest (there isn't even a Steak N Shake in Wisconsin) and not Upper.
Though there was for a long time...I used to frequent the one on 124th and Burleigh in Wauwatosa!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Though there was for a long time...I used to frequent the one on 124th and Burleigh in Wauwatosa!
Huh, that's before my time here I guess!

TOE suh.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Whatever. I think soda sounds better. Pop sounds like something is popping. If I go to the Midwest, I'm going to use the word soda wherever I go. Not that I drink that crap though.
It's not like people will freakout or anything. I'm from St. Louis, and they say soda down there. In Chicago I say soda, and no one says anything.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Agreed. For instance, you will never, EVER hear an Upper Midwesterner use "fixin' to _______" in a sentence. I always thought that was a Southern thing, but apparently they say that in the Lower Midwest, too?

Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's not like people will freakout or anything. I'm from St. Louis, and they say soda down there. In Chicago I say soda, and no one says anything.
You can use the term soda anywhere, and it will generally be accepted because it's the word the national media uses. That may be a big reason why Nep321 erroneously thinks "pop" isn't a recognized, legitimate term for a soft drink.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
"Pop" doesn't really bother me, but the South's "coke" does.

Coke is a specific soda brand. Ask for a "coke" in the North, they'll bring you a Coke… which is the logical response.

Asking for a "coke" and meaning Sprite is just confusing and makes absolutely no sense to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think "pop" sounds stupid and wrong.
That's OK; I think "soda" sounds pretentious and wrong. So we cancel each other out.

"Soda," btw, where I come from refers to a concoction of ice cream, flavorings and a carbonated beverage; for instance, my favorite is Vernors ginger ale (born in Detroit) and vanilla ice cream, also known as a "Boston Cooler".

Quote:
but one thing no one else understands about Wisconsin cheese curds is that we're not talking about the breaded/fried cheese curds (though they certainly are tasty), we're talking fresh-that-day from the factory.
Breaded and fried?? Do they still squeak after such ignominy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.