Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times

Advertisements

I associate different parts of the South with different kinds of forest. The mostly evergreen pine belt stretching from East Texas to the South Carolina coast is quite different from the mostly broad-leaf deciduous forests of Tennessee and Kentucky, while the Mangrove swamps of Southern Florida are quite different from the Post Oak belt in central Texas, which itself is quite different from the nearby Cedar, Mesquite, and Scrub Oak woods of the Texas hill country. Then there's the Appalachians, which have their own unique blend of evergreens and broad-leaf forests. The Ozarks are their own thing. Even the swamplands of Southern Louisiana have their own unique forests of Bald Cypress and Live Oaks.

Most of the South is forested. Some areas are more densely forested than others, but yes. Overall I do associate the South with forests. Whether or not the Southern forests are more appealing or attractive than Northern or Western forests is entirely subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:53 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
I associate the south with hot weather, rednecks, and Florida.
I've been to Schenectady. I'm not sure how you can look down on anyone.

Back to the OP. I've heard that, prior to the Europeans, a squirrel could have leapt from tree to tree from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mississippi River and never touched ground, whether in the North or the South.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Do you associate the South with forests?
Only with the ones that are in the South.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
The original Longleaf pine forests that existed in the Deep South when the settlers arrived looked very different from the forests you see today. Native Americans used to allow fires to burn through the forest which kept it looking very park like, and made hunting easier. Longleaf pines thrived since they are very fire resistant. Much of this ecosystem came to a halt when the European settlers cut down all of the trees and stopped the fires from burning.

This is what the original forests looked like...

Very different from the Loblolly pine plantations planted all over by the paper companies. Lack of fire has also allowed Asian exotic shrubs, vines, and trees to grow out of control, creating dense thickets you can't even walk through.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:08 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

States i least associate with forests:
Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota
I live in New Mexico, and yes it is not generally speaking, a forested State. but a not insignificant area of the state, 20% of its area is covered in forest.

In fact, approximately 63,000 sq. km of New Mexico is forested. or an area approximately 25% greater than the entire area of the Netherlands.

New Mexico Forests

Of course, New Mexico nor any of the Mountain States hold a candle to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California, much less the Eastern Woodlands.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
FROM THE GEORGIA FORESTRY COMMISSION:

Of Georgia’s 37 million acres of land area, 24.8 million acres (two thirds) is forest land. Of this 24.8 million acres, 24.4 million acres is timberland available for commercial use - more than any other state in the nation
Note that the underlined figure is forest available for timbering, not overall forested land. New York State is also nearly 2/3 forest cover at 19 out of 30 million acres.

I would wager to say the New England states are even more forested as a percentage of their total land area.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Note that the underlined figure is forest available for timbering, not overall forested land. New York State is also nearly 2/3 forest cover at 19 out of 30 million acres.

I would wager to say the New England states are even more forested as a percentage of their total land area.
Yes. About 80%.

New England sees a return of forests and wildlife - Metro - The Boston Globe

Old 09-16-2014, 06:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

No one asked if it was protected forests, as if there is a difference. Just if it is thought of as forested. After spending some time here, I think of the South more as forests than the Northeast. Surprising, even to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
When I think of the South, I do definitely think of its tree canopy among other things. It's one of the things I love about the South.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
No one asked if it was protected forests, as if there is a difference. Just if it is thought of as forested. After spending some time here, I think of the South more as forests than the Northeast. Surprising, even to me.
where'd you live in the Northeast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.