Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times

Advertisements

The region does have towns like that though, which you will not find in any other parts of the midwest. Chagrin Falls is one example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The region does have towns like that though, which you will not find in any other parts of the midwest. Chagrin Falls is one example.
Not surprising - it's probably more of a transition region, like western PA is for the same 2 regions and MD is for the south and north. There are states or part of states that are not solidly anything - there has to be a transition zone. State lines do not completely delineate culture or anything else not related to government or the law.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not surprising - it's probably more of a transition region, like western PA is for the same 2 regions and MD is for the south and north. There are states or part of states that are not solidly anything - there has to be a transition zone. State lines do not completely delineate culture or anything else not related to government or the law.
But the reason is because it was historically part of the state of Connecticut, in the same way that Western NY was part of NY State, and Western PA was part of Pennsylvania.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
But the reason is because it was historically part of the state of Connecticut, in the same way that Western NY was part of NY State, and Western PA was part of Pennsylvania.
Well, not exactly in the same way since it was not attached, or really anywhere near Connecticut. It was technically part of CT, but I'm sure even then some differences were noted between NE Ohio (then known as Western CT Reserve) and actual CT, which is a rather small state. Not cultural at the time, probably, as much as in look - scenery being the biggest. Either way, it is an interesting piece of history. Most probably do not know that at some point NE Ohio was part of CT. I'm assuming it was even made part of any state because exploration was continued along Lake Erie (they were probably following the water), and that part of Ohio was taken before any other since it followed right along the lake with NY and PA. I'm just surprised one of those states didn't take it. It seems to be it was simply annexed as part of a state, moving along in westward expansion, much like other states were eventual annexed or made to be separate from being a territory - why it was CT that took it, and not NY or PA, is an interesting question.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:31 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I agree that Ohio is a more interesting drive than Indiana or Illinois. IL and IN are the most boring states ever to drive through in the entire U.S. Ohio at least has some more topography and more interesting flora.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:53 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree that Ohio is a more interesting drive than Indiana or Illinois. IL and IN are the most boring states ever to drive through in the entire U.S. Ohio at least has some more topography and more interesting flora.
Seems people are judging from what the see off the interstate driving through Ohio and Indiana and Illinois? (Driving through Chicago or Cleveland wouldn't be boring) . Judging by flat mostly farmland boring in comparison to perhaps coming out of the mountains off the Pennsylvania interstate and other northeastern states.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I didn't just drive through, we stopped a few times and we stayed overnight. And I said I drove across the state - you kind of have to to drive to Chicago from NJ, do you think I'm lying? Don't be so defensive. I never said I saw the whole state; from what I saw, it was very flat with many farms along the way. The NE is neither entirely flat (while Ohio is nearly totally flat in comparison) nor does it seem to have the number of corn fields I saw in Ohio (and especially Indiana, though that's not what we're discussing here). NE Ohio may be similar to western PA or western NY but it is by no means northeastern. Some would argue that Pittsburgh is barely northeastern, or Buffalo, those same people would definitely not say any part of Ohio is.

You do know you drove through the flattest part of Ohio right?

http://topocreator.com/ned-jpg/atlas/600/oh.jpg

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You do know you drove through the flattest part of Ohio right?

http://topocreator.com/ned-jpg/atlas/600/oh.jpg
Your map shows that I didn't. The whole eastern half isn't as flat as the western. I drove through the eastern half.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
What makes Chagrin Falls so different?

Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What makes Chagrin Falls so different?
The New England style architecture. You just don't find that in other small towns in the midwest. I mean, look at the town hall. It looks like something straight out of New England.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.