Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times

Advertisements

I actually agree with you that the thread starter should participate in the discussion. However, I do not see anything wrong with the subject.

No premises were indicated. The OP should have asked "are white people discriminated against in any cities?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
One of the things I do to evaluate the legitimacy of a thread start is to determine if the poster participates in the discussion, or just "hits and runs." Thread starters establish a pattern, and either are legitimately interested in participating in a series of exchanges on the topic or just want to set off and run, much like kids with firecrackers.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
I don't believe there's systematic discrimination against whites anywhere in the US. Do people hold prejudices or have stereotypical views of whites? Certainly.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
I've met white people from Hawaii, they've told me otherwise. They even have a very prestigious school in Honolulu which excludes white people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I don't believe there's systematic discrimination against whites anywhere in the US. Do people hold prejudices or have stereotypical views of whites? Certainly.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,393,092 times
El Paso is on that list.
It is not the really ugly desrimation type but mostly related to the language issue.
It is very hard to find a job in this part of our very own country if you don't speak spanish
El Paso is about 80% hispanic

Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM

86 posts, read 307,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
El Paso is on that list.
It is not the really ugly desrimation type but mostly related to the language issue.
This is true. It's a beautiful city, but you're a real nuisance there if you don't speak Spanish.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Everyone is a little bit racist. Those who claim not to be are only fooling themselves. In any city any where, it's fairly common for the racial or cultural (usually the same thing) majority to discriminate against whoever is the minority. It's not one of the more attractive features of civilization but it's a fact of life. As a rule, whoever is the minority in a city is the one who will be more discriminated against. If Whites happen to be a minority in a particular city then they will be the ones discriminated against.

My city is culturally diverse. There is no majority. Blacks are the plurality with Whites a close second followed, also closely, by Latinos and Asians. Since no one has any clear advantage, there seems to be very little discrimination but I'm sure that if one group were to gain a majority, they would wield their power over the minorities as is human nature.

People find all sorts of reasons to discriminate; Religion, politics, fashion, the type of motorcycle you ride, etc. The color of the skin is the easiest because it's obvious and requires no interaction to find a difference. Humans need to feel powerful and it's easier to drive someone else down than to climb above them.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ ah sorry but most Cubans are white (such as myself). Is this a pity party question for the Anglos/WASPs? There is no minority "agenda" to discriminate against whites.
we had friends that were cuban---the kids were whiter than me---i got tired of the grandma and the kids refering to me as a white person in a condescending manner----NONE of my african american ,dominican,puerto rican friends ever treated my family and i in such a disriminatory manner---it helped that we knew more spanish than they thought we did,hence we were able to find out how discriminatory they were--yet our house was ALWAYS open to them-----unfortunately,this has made us leery of befriending anyone cuban again and for the first time I'M feeling some predjudice!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:00 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
This is basically the same situation that they have in Miami. Its not open in-your face anti-white discrimination a la Hawaii, but rather simply if you don't speak the language nobody is going to give you a job.

This is America, why should it be a requirement to speak a foreign language to get a job in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
El Paso is on that list.
It is very hard to find a job in this part of our very own country if you don't speak spanish
El Paso is about 80% hispanic

Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 AM

552 posts, read 1,073,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Everyone is a little bit racist. Those who claim not to be are only fooling themselves.
Not everyone is like you. I don't judge people when it comes to things they have no control over. Race determines some of your physical characteristics, not your personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
People find all sorts of reasons to discriminate; Religion, politics, fashion, the type of motorcycle you ride, etc. The color of the skin is the easiest because it's obvious and requires no interaction to find a difference. Humans need to feel powerful and it's easier to drive someone else down than to climb above them.
I don't see anything wrong with judging people by how they dress or what they believe in. Those kind of things show what a person is like. Being Black doesn't make you more likely to be a criminal, but wearing 5 XXL shirts in gang colors and jeans sagging around your knees does.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,711 times
In order for the minorities in a city to trully discriminate against whites those minorities would have to have some sort of real power and influence in that city. Blacks have a certain amount of power in D.C. and Atlanta for instance and I've heard of some whites their crying reverse discrimination but in Atlanta atleast, corporations really hold the most power (more than government which has to cater to their needs to keep them in town) every where you go and they tend to be majority white at the top even in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.