Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,409 times

Advertisements

not sure if a similar thread has been posted, but I remember Salt Lake City, Denver, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Portland, Las Vegas & New Orleans to be relatively big cities that to me seemed particularly slow paced, when it comes to things like driving, speed of people walking, customer service efficiency, laid-back 'energy vibes' of downtowns, looks on people's faces when waiting in random long lines, etc, etc.
Now of course these cities are not considered "huge" but with metro area populations over one million, there's still substantial population.
When I lived outside Los Angeles with its 10 million or so inhabitants, people there generally seemed very laidback & quite slow paced (compared to northern big cities), until they stepped into their cars...(same with San Deigo). Seattle metro (where I live), is not too slow- pretty moderate relatively.
Being a person of somewhat impatient nature, I definitely notice when things slow down (not that it's a bad thing of course, just interesting to observe & appreciate how people/ places are different).

A slightly related subquestion would be, do Americans appreciate or loathe the pace of many big European & Asian cities that are noticeably faster-paced than most American counterparts except perhaps our Northeastern cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Not all European and Asian cities are fast paced, just the Big ones like Tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, London, Seoul etc... Nanjing is a relatively big city that moved sort of slow.

yes, there has been a thread on this. This one guy called DC slow and everyone went berserk.

I get Comments on how Dallas is soooo slow compared to Phoenix, but I don't know San Antonio and San Diego seem slow to me... its all opinion.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Denver drivers like to drive fast. We were one of the first states to raise the speed limit when the feds said we could. People do seem a tad more patient about waiting in lines here, but on the other criteria you mentioned, it's about the same as anywhere else I have ever lived (Pittsburgh, Champaign, IL, Wilmington, DE, upstate NY).

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
When I lived outside Los Angeles with its 10 million or so inhabitants, people there generally seemed very laidback & quite slow paced (compared to northern big cities), until they stepped into their cars...(same with San Deigo). Seattle metro (where I live), is not too slow- pretty moderate relatively.
Being a person of somewhat impatient nature, I definitely notice when things slow down (not that it's a bad thing of course, just interesting to observe & appreciate how people/ places are different).
San Diego is a stressful place to drive (and L.A. even moreso). That's when I notice the majority of rude behaviors there. Other than that, San Diego is pretty slow. I can understand what you mean about how other people's laidback attitude can cause someone to be impatient. A perfect example is as a customer in a store, I might be in a hurry to get in and out of there, but the clerks take their time since their used to being laid back which is a disadvantage for me.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I get Comments on how Dallas is soooo slow compared to Phoenix, but I don't know San Antonio and San Diego seem slow to me... its all opinion.
HA! I've been to Phoenix and that's laughable. You have to light a fire into Phoenix residents to get them active partly because many of the city is retirees. Dallas is much faster in pace than Phoenix. Dallas is laid back though. Also, New Orleans is anything but slow pace.

I would say Jacksonville and Oklahoma City are slow paced big cities.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
It was mentioned that Las Vegas is slow paced! It is anything but that!
If you came in the middle of the summer in 120F when people stayed indoors maybe you could have thought that.

El Paso is one of the slowest cities. The "manana" mentality prevails.
This means don't do anything today that you can do tomorrow, and of course you say the same thing the next day.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,548 times
El Paso is definitely really slow-paced. So is Albuquerque. The whole southwestern U.S., whether urban or rural (the South seems to only be slow-paced in rural areas) seems to be very laid-back. I think the weather has a lot to do with it. Lots and lots of sun and mild weather.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say.../...Oklahoma City are slow paced big cities.
I'd concur with Okla City. It's a large city with a small-town feel, most everyone [to me] seems pretty relaxed.

The one exception is the highway system, which IMO resemble a wild-west rodeo. People drive fast, but it's not a "rude" kind of fast with road rage, etc. It's more of a laid-back efficient type of fast, with everyone just jockeying for position and trying to make the best of it. Of course, traffic Okla City is practically non-existent compared to most big cities, with the exception of I-44 S during rush hour.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
El Paso is definitely really slow-paced. So is Albuquerque.
I've never been to El Paso, but I would concur with Albuq.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Well, it depends on what your criteria for "slow-paced" is.

Do you mean a city in which people literally walk and talk slow? Or how about a city with just a laid-back vibe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.