Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 AM

779 posts, read 1,009,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The trend is that America's center of population has been moving to the south and west. If the trend keeps up, does that mean that SoCal will end up being the biggest center of population in the U.S.? I mean, I just can't imagine hundreds of millions of people living in one region of the nation (southwest). And I can't imagine how much it will cost to live there. It's already ultra expensive. Not to mention the serious water supply issues that are imminent.

The whole migration seems to be climate driven. The southwest is warm and dry. The northeast is cold and damp. So, I could understand that. But, do you think that people will eventually migrate west from Florida even, to get away from the humidity? Will people migrate down south from places like Seattle and North Dakota to get away from the cold?

How do you think it will look in 50 years from now? Will SoCal become the biggest megalopolis in the nation, instead of the BosWash corridor, which is 457 miles long?

This also begs the question: Is the climate and scenery of the southwest really the absolute best the nation has to offer for everybody? I mean, I know people from the northeast who moved to SoCal, and although they enjoyed it, they couldn't wait to move back east for the greenery. They said that SoCal is just too brown/dry for them. Now, my friend who lives in San Diego is moving to Orlando in March.
What statistics are you looking at? I haven't noticed anything that suggests a huge percentage of the population is moving to the Southwest of the US. There are some potential areas that studies have shown could become a "megalopolis" by the year 2050. There are 11 total Megaregions that are predicted to grow by that period inlcuding the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. This is the area stretching from Birmigham, AL to Raleigh, NC and anchored by Atlanta. I think this is a trend that will happen all across the US as the country becomes heavily populated. I think a lot of this has to do with people seeking lower cost of living which will eventually increase the cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:12 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
What statistics are you looking at? I haven't noticed anything that suggests a huge percentage of the population is moving to the Southwest of the US. There are some potential areas that studies have shown could become a "megalopolis" by the year 2050. There are 11 total Megaregions that are predicted to grow by that period inlcuding the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. This is the area stretching from Birmigham, AL to Raleigh, NC and anchored by Atlanta. I think this is a trend that will happen all across the US as the country becomes heavily populated. I think a lot of this has to do with people seeking lower cost of living which will eventually increase the cost of living.
Population center of the US has been moving west since the founding...over 1000 miles. Now moving west and south 50 or 100 miles a decade.

https://www.census.gov/geo/reference...p_mean2010.pdf

Now well west of the Mississippi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.