Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times

Advertisements

A Yankee is a profesional baseball player from the Bronx lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:07 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
I prefer "New Englander."

Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I've always hated that term, even though I grew up in what is technically the South. It just belongs in another century, IMO. I always heard it used mainly in reference to people from the Northeast states, and very rarely in relation to the Midwest. Oddly enough, the only times I've really ever heard it applied to Midwesterners was in self-referencing by Midwesterners.

To people in many other countries though, we're all "Yankees". I've even been called a Yankee by Canadians and Brits.
I think some people actually want to be Yankees. It's like people calling themselves hipsters although a true hipster wouldn't refernce themselves as that. I guess it's cool to be a yankee

Old 11-15-2014, 10:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Yep anyone outside of the south is a yankee. Nebraska is deff Yankee. It's up north that's all that matters.
What does that make states like California....?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:25 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,032 times
i always thought Yankees were the Union soldiers during the American Civil War, and later I think people in the South still refer to people that come from original non-Confederate states as Yankees.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:27 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I think some people actually want to be Yankees. It's like people calling themselves hipsters although a true hipster wouldn't refernce themselves as that. I guess it's cool to be a yankee
Cool, huh? OK then. Whatever tickles folks' pickles. I prefer to label myself an individual. I don't really even consider myself a Southerner, even though I grew up in the South. It's not that I hate the South or feel ashamed of being from there... I just hate all the "Yankee/Rebel" labeling that should have died out well over a century ago.

I feel much more naturalized to the West, where I now live and have lived, off and on, for about a third of my lifetime. Out here, people aren't hung up on that tired, ancient crap.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,693 times
Anything north of the Potomac river" historically since both D.C. and Maryland were union territory.
NoVa? Meh. Still too much southern heritage imo. Too many roads, buildings, schools, etc named after confederate heroes. But I guess culturally Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax county are Yankee, but once you get south of Lorton southern gets in full effect. Prince William county feels like it could be in Texas or Georgia.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
The going theory among linguists is that Yankee was originally an ethnic slur used by New Englanders against Dutch New Yorkers.

A British general picked it up during the American Revolution and applied it to Americans in general, in particular New Englanders under his command.

Up through the 19th century, the term became associated with the entire Northeast, in part through publications like Yankee Notions, a New York City magazine. Although often used vaguely perjoratively or at least connoting a stereotype, the term was adopted by Northeasterners, especially rural New Englanders.

Then the Civil War happened and the rest is history.

Ultimately, my favorite definition of Yankee comes from American writer E.B. White:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-16-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I prefer "New Englander."
Same here! That's just one reason why I moved to the West and not the South. Seriously, who needs that?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You are most certainly a yank.

Anyone from outside of the south is a yankee, NOVA is yankee too.
Haha, I guess, but again, I choose not to identity as a Yankee. I'm aware that most would probably consider me one if they had to label me, but I will say American, northeasterner, and New Jerseyan before I say I'm a Yankee.

I have to say, even though I think it's supposed to be kind of playfully derogatory, I like how Brits tend to call all Americans Yankees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Same here! That's just one reason why I moved to the West and not the South. Seriously, who needs that?
I see your point, but in my general region, at least, I don't see that type of labeling to be widespread. IMO, NJ is over the Civil War and all the pettiness that came with it. Don't know about other states though, as I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.