Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northern State Has The Most Southern Culture?
Kansas 2 0.77%
Missouri 119 45.77%
Illinois 18 6.92%
Indiana 42 16.15%
Ohio 18 6.92%
Pennsylvania 8 3.08%
Maryland 44 16.92%
Delaware 9 3.46%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:16 AM

9,467 posts, read 10,796,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Actually, Michigan is on the Northern end of what is known as "The Hillbilly Highway" that ran from Tennesse to Michigan. Peopls leaving TN and KY for work in the factories in the Midwest. They took their culture with them. Indiana, illinois, Ohio and Michigan are loaded with Tennesseans and Kentuckians natives and threir kids and grandkids, especially Indiana. Many of those descendants moved back south and west when the factory jobs dried up. That Hillbilly Highway took a bunch down to Texas.
I am a living example of this. My grandparents moved up to Michigan in the 20s. Southeast Michigan today is filled with people descended from southern states. Like you said when Michigan failed many of their descendants returned to the south. That is exactly what I did. In fact all of their grandchildren but one now live below the mason Dixon line. I guess my family was never meant to live in the north.

I can say without a doubt that large pockets of southern culture do exist in south east Michigan. That however does not mean it is in the whole state. Central, West and northern Michigan are typical German/Scandinavian in culture and that is true of the upper Midwest as a whole. In fact the people of the rest of Michigan definitely notice that people from the southeast part of the state are distinctly different from the rest of Michigan even if they do no know why or how they are different. This southern influence is limited to southeast Michigan and usually near places where a lot of people worked in car plants. Drive away from Detroit and flint and poof it’s gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Indiana, Ohio, Michigan?

Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,460 times
Missouri and Maryland

Old 12-11-2019, 07:14 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambolio View Post
I don’t even know why Pennsylvania is even on the poll tbh.
Pentucky

Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Missouri was an easy answer for me but is it fair to call it a Northern state to begin with? It is not any more geographically northern than is is southern. It's in the middle.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,991 times
Interesting that Missouri is in first place and neighboring Kansas is in last place. Johnson County Kansas (suburban Kansas City) is solidly Midwestern but areas of Southern Kansas do have a Southern vibe including Wichita.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:12 AM

71 posts, read 51,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Interesting that Missouri is in first place and neighboring Kansas is in last place. Johnson County Kansas (suburban Kansas City) is solidly Midwestern but areas of Southern Kansas do have a Southern vibe including Wichita.
I don’t notice as much of a southern vibe in Wichita as I do more of a western or southwestern vibe. It is still predominately midwestern. There are area of southeastern Kansas that might be considered more southern as it is near or part of the Ozarks region.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:57 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStoNYtoILtoTX View Post
I don’t notice as much of a southern vibe in Wichita as I do more of a western or southwestern vibe. It is still predominately midwestern. There are area of southeastern Kansas that might be considered more southern as it is near or part of the Ozarks region.
Only a tiny sliver of SE Kansas is technically in the Ozarks, and only the portion south of US 400 has any real southern influence, and when you get west of US 283 or so, its more "Southwestern Lite" than anything with some scrub plants starting to appear and a little sand instead of grass. Part of the old Santa Fe trail passes through that section of KS. However, it was settled too late to really get those "southern influences" going, and unlike MO, never was a state that permitted slaverly nor supported Jim Crow laws. Only that extreme SE corner has any hint of "Dixieness" IMO.

In the poll, I'd say Maryland in terms of a percentage of the state acknowledged as such historically, and Missouri in a contemporary sense. Most of the state along and south of I-70, except for the area around KC, St. Louis, and Columbia (despite Mizz. U being in the SEC) still has that genteel Southern influence. Keep in mind, Maryland's history is VERY southern prior to the 1960s, except for the western panhandle. Desegregation in MD happened in the 1950s, which isn't that much earlier (mid-late 1960s) compared to states further south. Baltimore was an island of progressiveness much like New Orleans, Memphis, and Birmingham were in the century following the Civil War. But in the last 50 years, Maryland has very little respect for its southern past and has increasingly looked Northeast (leaving the ACC, leaving the Southern Governors Association, its largest city sometimes viewed as "Rust Belt", and its state capital as an alternative to a New England town as opposed to Charleston or Savannah.

Southern IL and IN may have their southern influences, but its certainly not to the degree of MO with their geographical borders further north. There's little southern about Ohio, and the parts of KY and WV it border aren't that southern compared to much of the rest of those states.

Pennsylvania is the LEAST southern out of all mentioned. Yes, you could of have it included if you excluded Maryland, but there's almost ZERO southern influences historically, and one of the arguments that people tend to confuse "rural" with "southern". PA's "T" is just more "old school" than anything else, where the culture seems like a decade or two behind the times compared to Philly/Pittsburgh. I enjoy the many quaint towns, small cities, antique stores, old architecture, and less frantic lifestyle when I visit there, and these are IMO where "proper Pennsylvanians" reside, belonging there for hundreds of years in some cases. Remember, even Northerners once were more religious, and the "T" seems to have more devout worshipers for example.

Delaware is small and there's definitely some southern influences from about Smyrna southward, currently and historically, but much of it just feels more "Pax Americana" than anything else, and the beaches area isn't much different from the Jersey/Long Island beaches.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Many northern states have pockets of southern or borderline southern culture. Which one has the most of the this?
I would guess the state with the most African Americans....since they nearly all migrated from the south, excluding those states with high number of black immigrants.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I've never gotten a Southern vibe out of Wichita, at all. It's pretty quintessential Plains Midwest.

If anything, the Midwestern influence and culture extends past the southern boundaries of the Midwest once you get past the Ozarks and out on the Plains. I think I-44 is a rough demarcation of this. To the south and east, you have the Ozarks, which have always felt like a western cousin to Appalachia, culturally. In Missouri you run into the Bootheel, which is basically the northern reaches of the Delta. Kansas is completely west or north of this line, and even the parts of Oklahoma that are north and west of this feel more like the Midwest than the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.