Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but in the DC area, Marylanders and Virginians tend to hate each other. Which is kinda funny to me because as an outsider both sides come off as about the same. Not to mention half the people in the area are from somewhere else.

Someone earlier mentioned an intense Maryland hatred of NJ. I experienced a lot of this as well. It's probably just a University of Maryland thing though, not the state as a whole.
Since when do MD/VA hate each other? I grew up in the MD suburbs surrounding DC and that was never the case. I later got out of there and moved to the eastern shore. MD and VA are so similar how can we hate each other. Many parts are shared such as a malor metropolitan area, the Chesapeake Bay, the eastern shore, a national seashore and the Chesapeake and tidewater culture.

Now NJ on the other hand! No we don't hate them either. But it is probably the same as in other places. We just join in on the fun of throwing good natured jabs at our Jersey friends. That probably stems from the this and that "is better in Jersey", "back in Jersey we had", "we did it like this in ..." More a stereotype but it does come out from some of the transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:39 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
My friends from Washington and Oregon have an extreme hatred for all things California.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:22 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This is so true! It is actually sad that all Virginians can do is bad mouth us, when we literally have no grudge against them. From my experience, Virginians think they are some kind of "elite social class" and too good for people beneath their standard of living.
Us Marylanders tend to look down on WV, but since I respect the rural roots of this country I actually quite like the area. Maryland's 4 westernmost (Garret, Allegheny, Washington & Frederick) counties are essentially cultural extensions of WV's eastern panhandle with similar geography occupying some of the same mountain ridges which extend across four states into PA and VA as well as WV and MD.

Heck, I think even Kentuckians and Ohio's southwest rural areas look down on WV, as does the Pittsburgh region. Mountain Mama gets a bad rap that she often does not deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
My friends from Washington and Oregon have an extreme hatred for all things California.
Most people do not want Californians moving into their area. We already have enough where I am (Floridians too) who fall into one of two broad categories: 1. Trash, and 2. Yuppies who have no respect for the localities they move into.

In the "race to acquire the biggest shyt!" (as one ex-Californian put it to me) Southern Californians do not integrate well when moving to other states since they are more focused on status symbols than they are on adopting the local culture and way of life and integrating into a community.

I'll also never forget the talk I had with an AZ small businessman I had in 2012 who lamented Californians moving into his state and pushing for the same failed laws, regulations, programs and policies that they were escaping from (consciously or not) in the first place.

Last edited by mapmd; 12-13-2014 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2014, 03:06 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Yeah I think the whole MD-VA thing in the DC area is more good-natured ribbing than actual hate. But I do see it constantly. My friends that live in Bethesda hate going to Arlington, and vice versa.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 PM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
Any big states, bordered by smaller states (TX and NM/OK & CA and ID/OR). Many TX or Californians may not notice or care, considering how big they are, but people from those other states can really hate them when they move or vacation in their state.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:53 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Wisconsin hates Illinois
Is it the state of Illinois that Wiconsin hates so much? Or is it Chicago that Wisconsin hates so much?

Outside of Chicagoland, Illinois is mostly rural, made up of small towns, cornfields, soybean fields, and forests or woods. Not a whole lot different from Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee area.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I knew someone from Alabama who told me the unofficial state motto of Alabama should be, "At least we're not Mississippi!" But in reality, they're in the same boat and West Virginia could also be included. Everyone looks down on those three states, let's be honest.
Not "everybody looks down on those three states". I don't look down on those three states, so that blows your "everybody" theory. I actually like them and enjoy traveling thru those states when I'm in the area. And I'm being honest.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Even though Kentucky's longest border is with Tennessee the main state rivalries are with Indiana and Ohio. Because Indiana is smaller and more rural they seem to dwell on it more than Ohio which has more cities throughout the state.

The odd thing is you don't sense the rivalry much in Louisville because the parts of Indiana w/i 30 miles of downtown Louisville are mostly Kentuckians who relocated for cheaper houses. Most of those relocated Kentuckians aren't from around Louisville but are from the Appalachian area of Eastern Kentucky. Those people are referred to Hoosier Billies. You don't run into real Indiana people until you get out of the Louisville tv market.

But by the time you get in Indy it's all hate towards KY for sure.
Yes there is a rivalry between Kentucky and Indiana. I remember back in the early days of the ABA there were no greater rivalries than the Indiana Pacers and the Kentucky Colonels. Also, the Indiana High School All-Stars would play the Kentucky High School All-Stars 2 times during the summer, one game in each state. They been doing that since the 1930's. I guess they still play those games. I dont live there anymore so I cant say for sure.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:23 AM

Repeated post

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Michigan hates and looks down on (literally and figuratively) Ohio.
The unique thing about the Michigan vs Ohio rivalry is that Michigan is truly better than Ohio in every way possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.