Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
We love the UP (it's basically part of our state)
Hah, do you cheese heads really think that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I hear Alabamians look down on Mississippians, just what I've heard. Maybe South Carolinians pick on Georgians?
No.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:54 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

It also seems to me like Pennsylvania looks down on West Virginia, and gets looked down on by New York, New Jersey and Ohio. Its relationship with Maryland and Delaware is neutral.
Eh, New York basically looks down on every other state in the Northeast, and the rest of the US for that matter. Also, I think any contentiousness/"looking down upon" between Pennsylvania and either Ohio or New Jersey is a two-way street.

Agreed about Delaware and Maryland for the most part, though, and yes, West Virginia is, sadly, the butt of many jokes.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 AM

17,801 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Re: New Mexico vs. Texas

There is also a saying in New Mexico, 'Why do the trees in New Mexico lean to the east? Because Arizona blows and Texas sucks.'
Honestly, having lived in Arizona, I never heard a cross word about New Mexico in 8 years. It was ALWAYS either a Tucson vs. Phoenix thing or a Nativist Arizona complaining about Snowbirds and retirees.

In the time I have spent in New Mexico I never got any animosity towards Arizona, and there seemed to be lots of support for Dallas pro teams as well as Texas Tech and the Longhorns.

Surprisingly though I have seen T-shirts in ski resort areas of Colorado and New Mexico that said 'If God had meant for Texans to ski, he would have made bullsh!t white'. So there is that.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-06-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Honestly, having lived in Arizona, I never heard a cross word about New Mexico in 8 years. It was ALWAYS either a Tucson vs. Phoenix thing or a Nativist Arizona complaining about Snowbirds and retirees.

In the time I have spent in New Mexico I never got any animosity towards Arizona, and there seemed to be lots of support for Dallas pro teams as well as Texas Tech and the Longhorns.
Well if you read the first line of my post, it said the first state listed was the antagonist. The rivalry is from the New Mexican's perspective. And really northern NM at that.

As far as sports, Texas sports are pretty big in New Mexico.. Northern NM does lean Colorado for football, though the 'Boys are definitely strong in most parts of the state. Baseball tends to go Rockies, but there are a lot of D-Backs fans, too.

Finally, a lot of New Mexicans looking to move to big cities in border states tend to go for Phoenix over Texas, but Denver definitely seems most popular in northern New Mexico.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:49 PM

448 posts, read 813,474 times
Quote:
There is also a saying in New Mexico, 'Why do the trees in New Mexico lean to the east? Because Arizona blows and Texas sucks.'
Hahaha. That's great.

Quote:
El Paso doesn't necessaritly figure strongly into New Mexico's disdain for Texas, it is mainly the bordering west Texas high-plains area. New Mexicans, especially hispanics, simply distance themselves from the primarily anglo, baptist, cowboy culture there. Combine that with the fact that vacationing Texans from places like Lubbock and Amarillo like to (jokingly) claim that New Mexico is actually part of Texas and belongs to them, and you can see why there might be at least some mild animosity.
I wonder when the perception will catch up to the reality as far as that's concerned. The panhandle is very hispanic these days, with over a dozen counties having a hispanic majority. It's not quite on the level of New Mexico yet but I'd say the culture's changing in that area. Most of us don't like that area either. I *hate* driving through the panhandle any time I go up to Colorado. I almost always drive up through NM.

I think a lot of Texans are still "bitter" about selling off claims to New Mexico and Colorado to pay for our debts after the revolution. That might be why some vacationers feel the need to reminisce about it. Played out a little differently, Santa Fe and ABQ would be west Texan cities.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:03 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Michigan and Ohio....The only two states to have a war with each other.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:05 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Stupid FIBs... Wait, what?

Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
I'd imagine a heated rivalry between Maryland and Virginia. For one, the Potomac River was the dividing line between the Union and Confederacy during the Civil War. Maryland staying with the Union, Virginia in the Confederacy. Despite the popular belief that Maryland was a Confederate state since it's below the Mason-Dixon line, it was a slave state that remained in the Union (a border state). Today, most people see Maryland as a northern state, not to spark a debate that has been beaten to death. Virginia is still seen as a southern state for the most part.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I think a lot of Texans are still "bitter" about selling off claims to New Mexico and Colorado to pay for our debts after the revolution. That might be why some vacationers feel the need to reminisce about it. Played out a little differently, Santa Fe and ABQ would be west Texan cities.
Maybe that's true of a very small contingent of Texans living way up in the panhandle, but most people in the Eastern and Southern part of Texas (ie. where the vast majority of the state's population resides) could really care less about some ancient auctioning off of land to the intermountain Western states.

Any "bitterness" between NM and TX is pretty much one-sided. I'm originally from Houston, and believe me... nobody there really even thinks about New Mexico too often, much less take the time to hate it. I don't think I ever once heard anything bad about NM growing up.

Now, Oklahoma was a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.