Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,823 times

Advertisements

Here's a question I haven't seen on the boards that I'd love to get an answer to. Where I grew up, Ontario Canada, there is an area known as "cottage country". Hundreds of lakes with vacation cottages (cabins here in the US) that are within a few hours drive of the main cities and within the price range of the middle class. I"m looking for an area in the US that would be similiar. The ideal would be a mid-size town with affordable housing, mild four seasons and affordable vacation cabins close enough to go for the weekend. Does this exist anywhere???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
My guess would be anywhere in nothern Michigan pennisula and anywhere in the upper pennisula.

Lots of cottages/cabins to choose from.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomom View Post
Here's a question I haven't seen on the boards that I'd love to get an answer to. Where I grew up, Ontario Canada, there is an area known as "cottage country". Hundreds of lakes with vacation cottages (cabins here in the US) that are within a few hours drive of the main cities and within the price range of the middle class. I"m looking for an area in the US that would be similiar. The ideal would be a mid-size town with affordable housing, mild four seasons and affordable vacation cabins close enough to go for the weekend. Does this exist anywhere???
Yes, Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri to the southeast of Kansas City. It's all finger lake/s that go for hundreds of miles of shoreline and interspersed with woods with cabins and small towns. Another area is down by Branson, Missouri south of Springfield, almost on the Arkansas line. There by Table Rock Lake many people have cabins.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM

124 posts, read 462,161 times
How about the North Carolina section of the Smokies? It's only an hour and a half from Charlotte and Gatlinburg TN is on the other side of the National Park. Lake Junaluska is there (aka maggie valley, Waynesville area).

Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomom View Post
Where I grew up, Ontario Canada, there is an area known as "cottage country". Hundreds of lakes with vacation cottages (cabins here in the US) that are within a few hours drive of the main cities and within the price range of the middle class.
"Cottage Country" in southern Ontario is no longer within the price range of the middle class in southern Ontario. You average cottage in places like Muskoka cost about the same as a regular house; $350,000 CDN or $300,000 U.S.

(Historically it was affordable for the middle class, up until about 10 years ago.)

Sorry, I know it's off topic, but I thought you might like to know what's been happening here lately slomom.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,823 times
Actually ColdCanadian I still own a cottage there. I know that prices have rised significantly in the coveted Muskoka area, but I've seen cottages that are affordable. It is a hard commute there every summer, but I love the area so much, which brought me to wondering if there is a comparable place in the US.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,435,786 times
There are some about 2 hrs northwest of NY, around Woodstock/neversink.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Wow, those are some good suggestions. Could I add one or two? The Black Hills of So. Dak have cabins and there are several lakes in the area. It's truly beautiful out there and the winters are much milder then in a lot of the midwest. (Lots of snow, but it melts quite soon) Lake Okoboji, Ia. is also quite nice. I think it's quite spendy there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.