Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated southwestern city?
Las Vegas, NV 56 26.67%
Albuquerque, NM 6 2.86%
Sedona, AZ 9 4.29%
Santa Fe, NM 13 6.19%
Salt Lake City, UT 12 5.71%
Taos, NM 11 5.24%
Phoenix, AZ 90 42.86%
Las Cruces, NM 2 0.95%
Flagstaff, AZ 6 2.86%
Other, please list 5 2.38%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm sure there are any number of people living in the other cities on this list are fearful that all this anti-Phoenix bashing will direct any number of Southwest-bound people to their cities, where they are happy with the size of their cities as is, and are not seeking any new transplants.

Let Phoenix have them by the thousands!

Let's get some Las Vegas bashing threads going here before it's too late!
LOL, I'd actually like the region (Phoenix) to "catch-up" to the growth before more transplants continue pouring into Phoenix; of course that is wishful thinking. But I'd like the rail, commuter rail, downtown apts/condos/lofts to get ahead of the curve...I think this recession is helping some nonetheless...

But fine by me; bash on Vegas...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Saying that Phoenix is mostly strip malls or that most of the population is surrounded by it is not factually based.
I live here. Yes, that's a fact.

The people who don't live here can use Google Streetview, pan to any major intersection and usually see all four corners flanked by some sort of strip mall.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 23,328 times
As someone who lives in Sedona I can honestly say IT DOES SUCK!!!! Ive been here about three years and for about two and a half years constantly praying it might get better but it hasn't. It's expensive, has no real shopping, only one or two ok restraunts, and everything closes by 8:30 pm. Its nothing but a glorified tourist trap with a nice view. If you are under 65 you will be bored out of your mind. There is almost no nightlife at all and the one or two places that have any nightlife/entertainment usually have a live band. However, 90% of those out after 9:00 pm believe the only music worth listening to is classic rock ( Don't get me wrong, I like classic rock every now and then, but if I hear "Smoke On The Water" one more time... I think I'll go insane!!!). I guess I should stop now before I get carried away ( I could go on and on... That being said its worth seeing once, maybe twice, but thats it. Definitely don't move here; unless you are retired and wealthy because everything is high except the pay. If you can make above poverty level pay you are doing good.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:24 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Might as well rename the forums to Anti-Phoenix.com
Just rename it Anti-Sunbelt.com

Old 05-14-2010, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 18,508 times
'Most overrated southwestern city'

Chicago, Arizona

Old 03-30-2014, 08:11 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I live here. Yes, that's a fact.

The people who don't live here can use Google Streetview, pan to any major intersection and usually see all four corners flanked by some sort of strip mall.
Heck, I live in Phoenix (have for over 6 years) and outside of the City of Scottsdale most major intersections look like one another. Your typical Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Glendale, Phoenix (outside of downtown), intersections are almost all identical (with some sort of strip mall on 3-4 corners). That being said, the more time I spend in Phoenix the more I like it.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
I never knew that Las Cruces was rated at all, positively nor negatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.